Nightmare: sacrificing my Bones for Reapercon!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First, a quick story.  While falling asleep last night, I tried to come up with a plan for the Open category at Reapercon.  The theme is horror, so I needed something suitable.  What's scary?  Hmmmn.

I seem to recall asking Bryan last Reapercon what temp the plastic went in the molds at and I remember it being significantly higher than my oven.  However, when I got up this morning, I opted to do t

Whooo!  Thanks everyone!  We're in the home stretch.  Which is good 'cause I'm running out of time!  Today's plan involves Light!!  We must have light to balance the shadowy evilness!   First, I deb

thanks!!!  I confess, after coming up with the idea I didn't sleep very well!

ultrasquid- all the parts are removable except the eyebeast and the mockingbeast.  Sculpey bakes at 275, and I'm pretty sure the actual melting point of the plastic is higher.  It's ok if they get soft- heck, a warped face is scarier, right?, but I'm going to watch them extra carefully to make sure they don't do something awful like release toxic fumes in my kitchen.  It'll be hairy and I worried about it, but otherwise I can't get the bulk of the sculpting done in sculpey which for me is faster and cheaper.  if it fails... I learn something!

And I have extra bones...  ::):

I'll also wear my N-95 mask and kick the cats out of the room!  But if anyone knows for a fact the bones melt at that temp, let me know and I'll alter my plan!  ::D:

• Like 7

Excellent project idea.

If you'd rather not experiment with baking, another way to cure Sculpey is boiling it in water.  Since we know Bones won't melt at 212 F, that might be another way to go.  I've never tried this, but it might be safer.

Or you could remove all the Bones pieces before baking, then add the Bones to your sculpt with a little more filling and sculpting using green stuff or another self-curing putty.

• Like 1

thanks!!!  I confess, after coming up with the idea I didn't sleep very well!

ultrasquid- all the parts are removable except the eyebeast and the mockingbeast.  Sculpey bakes at 275, and I'm pretty sure the actual melting point of the plastic is higher.  It's ok if they get soft- heck, a warped face is scarier, right?, but I'm going to watch them extra carefully to make sure they don't do something awful like release toxic fumes in my kitchen.  It'll be hairy and I worried about it, but otherwise I can't get the bulk of the sculpting done in sculpey which for me is faster and cheaper.  if it fails... I learn something!

Be careful with the melting temperatures of plastics. They can go from a range of 250°F-550°F depending on the type plastic (plastic bag polyethylene is low, nylon is high). And I don't remember ever seeing the melting temperature for Bones.

Though I also really want to know the results as I got a nice brick of Fimo that also bakes in the same range as Sculpey (230-275°F).

• Like 1