So I am going to enter some minis in the painting contest, and thought I might put one on a plinth...

I stopped at Micheal's on the way home, and picked up some stuff, but wonder what others would think...

I bought a 2" cube, a 4" square, and a 4" round. My thought is to mount the cube centered on either the square, or the round, sand everything up nice, and stain it with Minwax Ebony 2718 penetrating Stain.

The round:

post-14271-0-17754300-1475195560_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-63082700-1475195561_thumb.jpg

Now when I showed this to the spawn and soon to be ex, they asked how I was going to do it...

Parallel:

post-14271-0-12979900-1475195554_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-62815100-1475195555_thumb.jpg

Or Catty corner:

post-14271-0-07528900-1475195557_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-59272400-1475195558_thumb.jpg

Or should I just use the cube?

I plan on a plaque with the title of the piece on the front of the cube....

A rare earth magnet will secure the mini to the plinth, for ease of transport.

Thanks for your thoughts!

George

(all 3 wooden parts were under $4!)

• Like 2

I like the parallel one myself. You could run some of the ground work, roots or such down the sides & have them end at the fancy square base.

When we hit Michael's on Tuesday, they had some fluted bases that resembled stemmed goblets. I was really tempted...now I wish I had sprung for at least one.

• Like 1

I like the parallel one myself. You could run some of the ground work, roots or such down the sides & have them end at the fancy square base.

When we hit Michael's on Tuesday, they had some fluted bases that resembled stemmed goblets. I was really tempted...now I wish I had sprung for at least one.

I saw those tonight, but they are a bit to large for what I want to do...

For this mini at least...

• Like 3

Just the block please.  The plinth already serves as the decorative aspect that separates the mini from the table.  Mounting the block on something (besides maybe adding some understated molding to it's upper and lower corners maybe, like exterior crown molding) puts me in the mind of a gift basket, gift-wrapped, then put in a pretty gift bag.  One of the keys to diorama and vignette-design I've heard is to avoid "nesting" at all costs.  Just my thoughts of course!

• Like 1

Personally, I don't think you need anything other than the block.

If you do decide to use one of the other pieces I would say the square works far better and not kitty-cornered.

I agree.

• Like 3

...now if you wanted to get fancy you could turn the 4" into a pillar by cutting off the corners to make an octagon.

That's a pretty cool idea, which gives me a follow-on idea, assuming you have the time, instead of making an full octagon, have them end somewhere near the top, making it more of a platform.  Additionally, I like it with the smaller squares.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By haldir
      Ok, so next week I'm gonna be replacing the LCD in my printer finally, but I'm also gonna replace the noisy fan on the very bottom of the printer. I finally found a good shot of the guts from the bottom:

Now the fan I ordered a few months ago is definitely not the one I need as it's one of the filter fans. So I'm gonna have to order a fan this week. That is why I'm posting here. What fan is good for this?

I've read where someone has modded theirs to run a 120mm fan, I just wanna do a direct replacement of it. One caution I have is the connections. Does the fan just clip into one of the white connectors or is it one that the wires go into the posts that screw down (like on a Ender 3)?

Funny how now I find this site vs trying to find anything these past few months:

(note the fan wire, it clips into one of the white connectors (yeah!!)
      Any help will be appreciated for this.
    • By knarthex
      SO....

Due to Brain Weasels and other Real Life Issues, I haven't been doing much, really almost no, fantasy painting...
      One of the things I have been doing is looking at old WIPs, and suddenly the desire to paint a DRAGON, came over me....

So here is the start of my new work on Cinder, #10014, in METAL...

Hopefully, I can keep up the sudden burst of enthusiasm....

So planning on mold line hunting, and trying to decide what color to paint this dragon...
      As I am old school, the webbing between the back spines is leading me to green, but need to check the books to see which way to go....

About time you returned from the place I couldn't reach you minion......

OMG, please not again....

any and all comments gratefully ignored....
      Knarthex
    • By MoonglowMinis
      How do you make an octopus laugh?  You give him ten tickles!

Wanted to show off this little octopus that I sculpted from some leftover green stuff.  I don't have much experience with sculpting other than a few simple embellishments on minis and a couple of snake swarms I made once.  Wanted to try something relatively simple and figured an octopus would be pretty forgiving.

You can see more about how I made this guy and more of my nautical minis in my Dark Tide WIP thread HERE.

I sculpted and painted this guy in two evenings and am happy with hos cute it turned out.  It's not the most accurate, but I'm proud of it.  It definitely has given me greater confidence in my ability to make something out of nothing.

More Photos Beneath the Spoiler:

• By ttuckerman
      Felicitations on your personal solstice!
    • By MoonglowMinis
      So for awhile now I've had this goal, nay, this desire, nay, this primal compulsion to build a boat.  It is not enough to have hand drawn maps, or 2D terrain tiles.  I need a fully functioning 3D boat!  Well, maybe not fully functioning.  But I want to build a cool boat!

I've been working on a nautical campaign full of swashbuckling, sailing, and sea monsters for a few years now.  It's my White Whale project.  Always just on the horizon.  It'll happen some day, but in the meantime, I have a million small projects to complete and extend the chase.  One of which is my desire to build a few different sized ships to enliven any possible naval combat.

I actually attempted this about two years ago, just winging it and making some measurements and throwing them at some craft supplies.  I wanted a cheap option that wasn't too difficult to repeat that way I wouldn't be discouraged from making multiple ships.  So I limited it to cheap crafting materials like foamcore, wooden dials, popsicle sticks, and thumbtacks.  And the result wasn't  bad.  Especially for my first attempt at any kind of terrain building.

It actually turned out rather nice!  To my surprise.  But I got hung up on mast and sail designs and never finished.

The wood on the deck had 2x1in grid carved into it for easier D&D use.

and the figurehead was designed to be modular.

However, overtime the boat collected dust and little scratches.  I should have given it a coat of mod podge or sealant of some kind, but never did.  And eventually it had an unfortunate run in with an injured owl that we took in for a night.

Here's the little devil himself.

Anyways, I put this project on the back burner for long enough and feel inspired to dive back in.  Especially with a certain Bones ship on the Horizon that I'm still on the fence about getting.  I was doing some browsing on the web and recently found this wonderful little blog complete with loose instructions and a plan from a now defunct wargamming site.  The blog creator had found the old plan and adapted it to build something using most of the same materials I have already stockpiled. 

There's a few choices that I like better than my first attempt so I think I'm going to use this as some inspiration as I give this boat thing another go.

My hold up now is still those darn masts.  The original plan above used wood and required drilling out holes for the masts.  The blogger use foam for his ship and found random bits of tubing to house his masts.  I could try to find something random like that, but I was hoping to find something simpler for easy repetition.  And I would also like to keep the masts loose so they can be removed for easy storage, or to swap out the sails.  Any thoughts?

Any resources, tips, recommendations are very welcome!  I'll post back here with any updates.

• Who's Online   13 Members, 2 Anonymous, 40 Guests (See full list)