Learn To Paint Kit 2

• Artists

Once we've agreed on a topic, and apart from some basic parameters, Reaper gives me fairly free rein with the kits. I pick out figures and paint colours and do test paints of the figures to see if I can paint everything with the paints that I chose. (Usually I have to swap at least one or two colours for one reason or another.) Then I send my pics and final materials choices in for approval.

Since I had not been able to include any natural human skin tones with the first kit, I thought I had better include more than one in the second. My intention in design was that the two kits complement each other and work as a sort of mega starter kit in terms of techniques, colour selection, and range of figures. 

• Like 14

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Artists

I think there's one item missing from the LTPKs... A palette...

The kits also don't include a holder to put your mini on, cup for your water, paper towels, or a few other things. They do include a list of those other tools you need or might find handy and suggestions for what you can use that is inexpensive or you might already have around the house. An old porcelain plate/tile or plastic plates work great as palettes, even a piece of parchment/baking paper works fine. (But not wax paper!) I usually test with and give my test painters disposable foam plates to use as palettes. I think using the lid of the kit is a pretty good idea! Just use paper towel to wipe up wet paint before packing up.

I'd be surprised if Reaper would be able to add a palette to the kits. They don't manufacture anything like that or currently sell palettes themselves, so they would have to source them from another company. They pay more for third party items, so that would add to the price of the kits. There are also more supply problems with third party items. 

Thank you for the idea, and I will pass it along to the people who make the decisions, but I suspect it won't be doable.

• Like 8

Listed at $39.99.  That looks like a really good deal and I may make several gifts out of those!  Smart to release them in November...

Edit: Price hike... $39.95 -> $39.99 (because of my typo, not because of Reaper)

Gasp. A hike of the smallest denomination that can matter.

(Canadians don't have pennies)

Wouldn't even be a price hike in New Zealand - they've done away with any coins smaller than 10c...

• Like 2

So the idea is that this would be a second lesson after the first LTPK?

Exactly. The paint colors are complimentary to the first kit, especially with the inclusion of skin-tones. I believe the brush sizes are different from the first kit as well. The instruction book looks to build upon the skills picked up in the first kit. From washing and drybrushing in the first kit, to layering/glazing and lining in this second one. I love the idea of these kits. I pretty much learned to paint from the original metal minis Reaper L2PKs (and lurking on the site here.) I'm half tempted to pick one up, for the booklet to share with my son, and the fact that I have none of the 094XX paints.

Edited for comprehension :)

Edited by RouterMike
  • Like 7

• Artists

RouterMike is correct, with this additional important detail - using the second kit does not require having purchased or seen anything in the first kit. The two were designed to be stand-alone, but also complementary. You don't need one kit to use the other, but if you buy both you get unique paint colours, brush sizes, figures, and technique instructions. 

Someone who's just starting can purchase either kit and have everything they need to paint three figures (and then supplies for painting more) and get a good feel for the hobby. Or someone who knows they're into miniatures could get both together to get a decent starting set of supplies and instructions for several miniature painting techniques.

If I were to pick an order between the two, I'd say most people start with drybrushing and washing and then move on to layering and glazing. The instructions in the first kit are a little shorter since those techniques are easier to explain, so I'd be more likely to recommend that one for a younger person to start with. On the other hand, I had more frustration with drybrushing and washing when I started (with Reaper kits and a few online articles) so I skipped to layering and was much happier, so I don't consider it a technique that's inaccessible to novices by any means!

• Like 10

I'm really looking forward to this kit - I learned so much from the first one, and it's really catapulted me forward into painting.  I keep recommending it to other folks interested in painting.

Any news on when this will be available?  I was originally hoping to buy it this month to get the trick or treat bonus bag, but it sounds like it may not be available until late this month.

• Like 5