Sign in to follow this  
chaoshead

Chaosheads stuck in the desert this time! (LOADS OF PICS!)

@Chris Palmer  --  Like most hobbyists, I tend not to waste stuff or throw stuff out.  I presume that you have a pile of bits just waiting to be used in that soon to be done project, well so do I.

After one day of drytime the clay is starting to cure and dry, as expected this has had some not nice effects on the foamboard.

Oy! Boss! Is dis a boat?

20161020_171902_zpsffxkhedg.jpg

20161020_171910_zpsa6yt4cj2.jpg

As it looks now this will NOT be the method that we use to make the rest of the craters.

Another method is needed so we will scour the web and our brains to see if we can't come up with something.

On a much more positive note, the chem pool and tar pits did not warp and seem to be drying nicely.  Sure there are cracks but those should be very easy to cover with just sand.

20161020_171930_zps6yssihvv.jpg

20161020_171939_zps9zmwmchy.jpg

We shall see what happens with a day or two more dry time.

• Like 9

@Sergeant_Crunch  --  That is a thought....hmm...I may give that a try.

Really the only thing that has come to mind or come to light from the internet is to use thicker more rigid basing material or to use different material to build up the sides of the craters.

The search continues.

• Like 1

I'm laughing at the washing machine.  haha.

If I'm understanding what was done for the craters, it seems that you robbed the foam board of what little strength it has by hollowing it out.  

• Like 1

There's that and the clay is shrinking as it is drying, compounding the curling action.  I was just thinking that you may want to elevate the clay on a cookie rack or screen and perforate the paper or foil so that the bottom can dry at the same rate as the crater lip.  That may also help alleviate the curling. 

• Like 3

@lowlylowlycook  --  I did take the majority of the foamboard material away leaving it even weaker than it already is which didn't help at all.  I do believe it still would have warped had the rest of the material been there to begin with.  It is not a very strong material when moisture is applied directly to it.

@Sergeant_Crunch  --  I see what you are saying about the clay drying evenly, that could work I guess....hmm.

We are still debating on how to proceed with the craters, as well as a few of the other pieces.

We have had no time to work on this, or anything else lately, as our schedules have been the exact opposite of each others for a solid week or more it seems.

We are still debating on how to proceed with the craters, as well as a few of the other pieces.

Interesting =/ sad to see the clay crack :( Maybe build up layers at a time? I've not used a lot of it except for making trees.

Be a shame not to use it - it's so much fun to work with it!

Looking forward to how you proceed!

• Like 1

Well I was going to update this with some pics of the little we had done but photobucket seems to be on the fritz.

We are trying a different method with the craters, building up the edges with foam, sculpting into rough shape then probably going to hit it with some spackle instead of clay.  The "boat" kept shrinking and cracked pretty badly with a few bits of clay coming off the base completely.  While this could be from applying the clay too thickly it is not something that I look forward to applying in many layers and hoping that it doesn't again have the same reaction.

20161026_161356_zpspbsglm2q.jpg

If this does not work I am tempted to either scrap the crater terrain or start over again with mdf bases, foam and spackle...

A few of the dunes have had sand added.  We actually ran out of both glue and sand so will have to wait on replacements for both.

20161026_173948_zpsjiihytbh.jpg

The dunes with rock faces were given a spray of the texture paint and left to dry for a day or two then will be given another spray to get the texture we want for the rocks.

20161026_164843_zpsxnqoyiua.jpg

One of the difficult terrain pieces has had sand added and has been left to dry, we are worried about these warping so are doing the small one as a test piece.

20161026_162035_zpsvu7lljpm.jpg

The mine has had the walls and bottom of the mine shaft spackled and left to dry.

Apparently the mine didn't want to be photographed, every single pic was too blurry to even bother posting.

We discovered that the ends of the long foam pieces cut for the cliff facings are warped beyond repair(it doesn't take much warp for that to be the case is what we are discovering).  The only thing we can think of to remedy this is to remove roughly five or so inches from each end AND each layer and replace them with non-warped foam.  Grrrr....

Edit:  to add the pics, finally.

Edited by chaoshead
  • Like 7

Well, yes and no.  There is a lot of experimentation going on with this project that I really wanted to figure out.

What materials to use for what effects.  What sort of details can be done with what materials.  How little material can you get away with using to get the effect you are after.

I am not really disappointed with any of the outcomes or findings.  I am having a lot of fun experimenting and learning even if some of the outcomes are a little frustrating and wasting materials.

More ballast has been ordered and is on the way, glue has been purchased and is waiting to be used.

I guess I should upload the pics form the other day....

• Like 3

We did get a little work done and a few decisions made.

Firstly, we realized that as cool as the craters could have been they just weren't going to work on the foamboard bases that we removed most of the material from.  Too bad because I was really hoping to get some depth to them without having inch tall crater rims on top of the bases.

And of course none of the pics of the craters turned out worth a crap.  Trust us, the warping was as bad if not worse than the boat above.

I believe that we have decided on mdf bases IF we decide we want craters.

We were able to get the rest of the difficult terrain pieces textured with sand and we seem to have had only minimal warping so far, that is good.

20161029_231451_zpsqlvigyac.jpg

We carved and based some smaller rocks for some cover, larger ones to follow soon-ish.  This will include a couple that will push together to form an arch and one very large rock, "The Kop", for a special mission entitled "Nob uv da Kop".  This is essentially a king of the hill type of scenario, many orks will probably fall to their demise.

20161029_190654_zpsteea9xco.jpg

These will get two coats of the spray on texture paint over the next few days and then be ready to have smaller rocks added followed by sand on the bases.

We put sand around the edges of the tar pits and chem pool.  The next step for these will be to run some epoxy along the inside lip of the pools to stop the water effects from running out all over the place when we pour it.

20161029_231559_zps05khvb7c.jpg

I did some more texturing of the mine shaft and think I am pretty happy with it now.  Building the winch, engine and frame on the top will be the next part of that piece.  I am thinking of magnetizing those pieces for storage and transport purposes.

20161029_231840_zpson8iaz61.jpg

Not really sure how much you can see down the shaft itself but I was able to cover the sides and bottom pretty well with sand and a few larger rocks.

20161029_231853_zpsqpkejkkx.jpg

We went in search of insulation foam at the local home improvement and hardware stores today and couldn't believe that ALL of them were out of ALL of the foam except for a few tattered sheets of 1/2" which we decided against.  You would think that it is the time of year to insulate your house or something....

Here is a pic of the ends of the cliffs that will need to be cut off.  I am not sure how clear it is in the pic but the warp starts about four or five inches in as a little subtle angle and quickly gets worse toward the edge.  I probably would have cut the very ends off anyway to get rid of the tongue and groove joins but now it is a sealed must do.

20161029_232250_zps20cdorfp.jpg

A couple pics of some of the dunes, this one is one of the ones with a rock facing that has received its two layers of texture.

20161029_231954_zpsm0qrzlkd.jpg

Here are a couple others, first a single layer medium sized dune.

20161029_231718_zpsud7paqrf.jpg

This one a double layer medium sized dune.  These are sort of odd to photograph as it is hard to give a sense of scale.

20161029_232108_zpsmfdgm4ov.jpg

Edited to add pics.

Edited by chaoshead
  • Like 7

Congrats on the experimenting (successful and otherwise), having fun and still making some progress!

• Like 1

That mine is looking good.  

I was going to suggest foamed PVC sheets for the craters but apparently you are already familiar with it.  

Do you think that the spray texture would be good for adding a texture to the stone cliffs as opposed to trying to do sand dunes with it?   Does it seem to be pretty well stuck onto the foam?

Nice work so far and good luck going forward.  

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

I like foamed PVC but have really only done a few things with it, mostly walls and detailing of walls.  The thicker stuff could make good bases but can be a little pricey.  I also find that some adhesives just don't work with the foamed pvc, elmers white and wood glue, for instance, pretty much slide right off since the surface is so smooth.

The spray on texture is exactly what we are planning on using for the cliffs and the rocks.  You can see the result in the post above, the pic with the four orks standing at the edge of the rocky dune face.  It sticks okay to the foam but can be rubbed off with a little effort so I am sure it will rub off with regular use.  Terrain gets handled more than people think.  We are hoping that with some paint over it that it will be more durable.

• Like 1