SamuraiJack

Sci-Fi Panels: Modular Sci-Fi Tabletop Terrain - IGG

Who Are We?

Hi! We're Nomad Games â€“ a games development and publishing company that has been running for around five years now (from a physical location to an online one in recent months). In that time we've seen a lot of games come and go, but one of the best ones in recent memory has been Fantasy Flight's Star Wars: X-Wing. It captured the interest and hearts of Star Wars fans and gamers alike way before the new trilogy was even announced, and coupled with FFG's fantastic organized play system, has outsold and outperformed any game remotely similar to it.

We have played the heck out of this game (and the games that have come after it, such as Star Wars: Armada and Dystopian Wars) and we love it. We have weekly games, monthly tournaments and we are one of the hosts for the Wisconsin Store Championships for X-Wing and Armada every year.

So, Why the IndieGoGo?

Simple – there's one thing missing from X-Wing/Armada that's present in just about every other tabletop miniature game; awesome terrain!

colgfikiemore66rdhao.jpg

Our Snow Scape Board. Would make a great Hoth Game for X-Wing...

If you've ever played anything like Warhammer 40K or such, you know that the sky's the limit with these games. In fact, you pretty much have to have good terrain in order to play the game effectively. It also adds flavor to the battlefield, can give objective points and elements to the scoring system and so on.

elzg1g2odz3aobl8chjk.jpg

A 40K Escalation Game at Nomad last year. Dirty, Dirty Tau.

Sadly, this is the one thing that is very much lacking for X-Wing and the ilk. The “standard†play area is nothing more than a taped-off 3 foot by 3 foot square. Some people use bare tables and some use neoprene mats that are great for gripping the minis and bases, but incredibly boring to play on.

xt4dfaz6eyhd4sy8jut5.jpg

In Space, No One Can Hear You Say "Boring!"

Even the obstacles for these play areas are nothing more than cardboard tokens. I can hear Porkins turning over in this grave now!

What we want to do is change all that. Forever.

jtnp24yqc2vf5ccbypps.png

g0amdvznx13btpmzimrf.png

iuxqpdwzfaaxu65fvmn9.jpg

m3inowqtzfgcbw7xr5ch.jpg

We have built a modular, expandable and simple terrain system for these sci-fi games. The basic premise is a 12†x 12†tile that can be oriented however you want and together with eight others, can make a 3' x 3' board to play on.

Adding to this are the turret systems and rules to go along with them. These are add-on packs, including rules to play with X-Wing (more games to be added later)

Eeeek!  Hide my X-Wing! Hide my wife's eyes!  

No place is safe in this thread... 

... blink ...

Luckily, they priced it so that I was able to blink and avoid sending my ship down into the trench run.

My $40 starfield map is plenty fine, thank you.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By BLZeebub
      Here's the finished product.  WIP here:  https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/88136-blzeebub-builds-another-bird-boxbegin/&tab=comments#comment-1870132  I made this as a wedding gift for some friends.  I think they'll dig it and maybe you will too.

More moss!  I added a stained bottom for easy attachment to a post.  I also decided to enrich the wood of the door and slapped some wood stain on it for depth of color.  The metal I roughed up a bit with sandpaper and sprayed with a solution of salt, hydrogen peroxide, and vinegar to speed oxidation.  Though the ridge cap is galvanized steel and the chimney is aluminum, so who knows what that oxidation will actually look like!  Questions, comments, critiques always welcome!

• By BLZeebub
      So...gonna make this a WIP though it's technically done as of yesterday.  At the risk of becoming the "birdhouse guy" I opted to skip the registry of household (comm)oddities and make a bluebird nesting box for my friends' wedding.  I think they'll appreciate it.

I wanted a kind of whimsical, cottage style--the crazy roof being the focus.  After much perusing of images of "fairy house," "magic cottage," and the like I settled on a basic design.   I used a jigsaw to cut out the front and back walls from 1/2" plywood.  Side walls are similarly non-square.  Wood glue and finishing nails later and I had a frame.

While that dried I soaked some 5mm (1/4") plywood in hot water long enough to soften it and bent it slowly onto the frame, clamped it for a day, and glued and nailed.  Repeated for the other side.  The two sides of ply were differently happy to take a curve so I acquiesced to the wood.  Some peeling of the outer ply occurred, but later I scraped that off.

For the rocks, I took some "river pebbles" from the local big box hardware store, rinsed off the dust and began applying with heavy duty landscaping adhesive (might have actually been Liquid Nails brand--I've used it before for the same effect).  Let these cure and catch up with other life for a few days then on to the other sides!

• By lexomatic
      I know about the craft article on filling a bucket with sand and spraying foam in the space carved out.  I don't have a ton of time so didn't do that. I DID take a few sheets of parchment paper, a few sections of plastic fruit containers lined with parchment paper, and sprayed a can's worth of expanding insulation foam to make some hills.
      Because of needing to get by with a stroller, foam was packed up after an hour to continue curing.

In a few days I'll seal with brown craft paint and modgepodge, then experiment with flocking.

• By BLZeebub
      This is something I started working on a looong time ago.  I finally made the push to get it done and get it out--probably donating it to one of the FLGSs.  WIP  here:  https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/87566-ruined-building-terrain-pic-heavy-ish/
      I wasn't trying to get too, too fancy with this.  Rather I began with the intent to see how quickly I could make a good enough piece of terrain.  Had I not taken a year-long hiatus from it I may have succeeded, as I think that barring drying times I have around.
      You can see a Bones skele or to lurking around for scale.  I was having a challenging time with my camera and the lighting (room is kind of in disarray at the moment), so I have a few different exposures here.
      Had a lot of fun with the fiddly bits like the graffiti, wire conduit, and dead plants.
      In the fist and second pics you can even see one of my new backgrounds in the...background--too bad I made it for a standard mini, not a large building.
      Questions, comments, critiques welcome!

• By Nightwing
      A craft store near me was going out of business, and I found the rock molding kit from Scene O Rama for $1. There was enough plaster to make  2 molds of each rock. I painted them as instructed with the provided paints, glued them to balsa squares and rectangles, added some dirt and the talus. Some bushes added for color and interest. I wouldn’t use balsa wood for this again. The washes and thinned down glues caused the balsa to curl. 

I figured id use them as difficult terrain indicators in our D&D games.  I’m thinking about running the old timey Isle of Dread adventure for my group, maybe these will come in handy. 

• Who's Online   43 Members, 3 Anonymous, 86 Guests (See full list)