77078: Astrid, Female Bard

Shiqra

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah - I know shiny is a no-no, but there was only glossy clear coat sealant spray in the garage, and I stink at highlights, so I cheated with the shiny to give highlights.

And Ely, well when she wore that armor, was shiny :P

Edited by Shiqra
  • Like 1

I really like her, but probably not for what you were trying for. I like the color of her clothes and with the shine it looks like latex on her. With the guitar and latex body suit, she would be awesome for a rock scene.

For simple basing, a layer of white glue, sprinkle sand on it, let dry. Water down white glue and brush over the already glued down rocks/sand and let that dry for extra toughness.

Also, I switched to paint on sealer a long time ago. Worth picking up a bottle.

Edited by Mutilatedlips
  • Like 1

I think I need to peruse the forums for basing info - I could not get the sand to stay on top of the bottle cap to save my life. I think I was using superglue. And when I went to spray the whole thing with a fixative clear coat it blew off half of what I managed to get to stay put. Argh!

Comments and criticism encouraged and appreciated.

Many plastic bottle caps (like from a Coke bottle) are made from a type of plastic that resists superglue. So that very likely is the cause of the loss of sand. Plain old white glue would probably have been a better choice, though watering it down too much might cause it to bead up on that kind of plastic. I would add just a tiny bit of water to the glue, then get the sand into it quick as possible, but then let it dry for a good long time, maybe overnight.

I use Mod Podge for sand.  I put the glue where I want it, set the bottle cap or whatever down in a small plastic cup, sprinkle the heck out of it.  I usually try to avoid dumping a lot on the mini, but you can get it off of there pretty easily if a few bits miss the area you were going for.  Then I pull the piece out of the cup, blow lightly on it, let it dry overnight.  Come back the next day and tap it a bit to knock off anything still loose, and generally that about does it.

• Like 1

I actually very rarely use the "glue and sand method" anymore. I have a couple of different texture pastes that give a very good "sand" texture and are less messy. I also have some gel paste that you can mix various sizes of rocks and ballast into to achieve the same effect. I will have an example of said up on my page this weekend as I work on the dorf. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for the helpful comments. I'll have to try the white glue with sand method until sometime when I get cool texture gels and such. That was my first ever attempt at basing, and I literally went into the backyard for the sand :P

I see that metallic paint is not enough to give the impression of plate metal, so I will go peruse the forums for painting tips on how to do that. I think the actual mini has either bare legs and arms or is wearing tights, but I've seen some pretty impressive stuff here, so someone knows how to trick the eye.

Edited by Shiqra
  • Like 2

Try wood glue rather than white glue - it thins with water like white glue, but it won't dissolve when it gets wet after drying the way white glue will. Such as when you're trying to add more glue in order to add something else onto the base...

Kang

• Like 1