• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Lord of the Dish Pit
      Finally! These were among the first miniatures I bought and the nucleus of my original undead army in the 90s. Over a year ago I decided that I ought to repaint them, and so began a saga of Simple Green, several starts and stops, and entirely too much procrastination...but finally now that the Leafening is done....

A mixture of Grenadier (the standard bearer and champion with the freehanded shield), Heartbreaker (the ones with armor) and Mirlton (unarmored). The standard and shield emblems are those of Elizabeth Bathory. One of the first vampires I bought was the GW Isabella von Carstein and she had the Bathory vibe to her, so since I painted these as wights, I figure that they are her personal guard. 

Kinda visible are the greenish tinge to the weapons and eyesockets to signify their wight-dom in a low key way.

and here they are with the army thus far...

• By Kangaroorex
      Another of the older dragons completed.  This has to have been my favorite miniature series.  Over the course of a few years Grenadier brought out 37 new dragons, all of them unique and yet obviously part of the same world.  

This is from the third series and the sculptor is William Watt.  I love the level of detail and, in general how well these have held up over the decades.  These are always a joy to paint.

I based him on a 3 inch base and tried to give it a blasted heath effect which makes him stand out pretty well.  I'm still trying to complete 12 dragons this year and I am nearly there!  Hope you enjoy him!

• By Dan d'Lyon
      Well, looks like Hasbro is doing their own version of a kickstarter for a new release of one of the all-time classics.  I don't know if their site for the crowdfunding would be considered as a commercial site, but I'm sure it will be easy enough to find.  I'm in!
    • By Pingo
      Happy birthday, @TheAuldGrump and @Inarah. I hope you enjoy this. Notes follow after the photos.

This is Grenadier’s Hippogriff, #138 from the Fantasy Lords series way back in 1983, now sold in lead-free pewter by Mirliton Miniatures, Italy. It’s well sculpted, with securely fitting wings.

I wanted to paint something different from the common hippogriff colorings, something with a little challenge to it. So I decided to go with several black and white patterned creatures. The front end is based on an osprey, the wings on a hoopoe’s, and the hindquarters on a zebra, all somewhat modified to suit the figure and to blend where the shifts happen.

Whenever you’re going to paint a chimeric model, a creature made up of the parts of other creatures, it’s a good idea to go look at real animals to see how their colors and feathers and skins look, and also how they blend into other things. If nothing else, there are excellent visual resources on the internet.

Technical notes:

• By Prex
      So I dug an old mini out of the bottom of my box of forgotten lead - the 1989 Firbolg by Ral Partha. This classic figure deserved better than being lost for  a generation so I decided to paint it up and take a few photos on the way. 

It was in fine shape except for the broken / missing handle and pommel for the sword, so I started with a repair job - pin it to win it. 

A quick test of my sculpting skills, I used milliput to add a new handle over the pin.  I gave the whole model a new prime with vallejo surface primer through my airbrush. Overall, not too bad and one quick mold line removal later and a touch up prime and it was ready for some color. 

Time for getting some basic color on the model. I started with reaper golden shadow for the skin. It's a nice warm base to paint over, so I was pretty hopeful that it would provide the right base for the reaper warrior flesh  I planned on using later.  

Next up. some shadow. I used vallejo model air burnt umber for the shadows and for a first coat of the leather bits.

• Who's Online   17 Members, 1 Anonymous, 34 Guests (See full list)