Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Learned from a thread on the Painting subforum that if you have Bones that are tacky from aerosol mishaps, stripping them and repainting will resolve the issue (thanks, @Cicciopiu!) And I had painted a Spirit of the Forest some years back, crappily, and it got horribly sticky and be-crudded. So I gave it a Green Stuff soak, scrubbed the paint off, and repainted it. Also gave a touchup to an old Saproling Warrior (14504), and a tiny tree-dude from the Bones Familiars 2 pack (77196).
Here's the Saproling:
And here's the tiny wee treant fella:
"And look, behind you without a sound,
the Woods have come up and are standing round
In deadly crescent." --W. H. Auden, The Two
The thought came to me, burning-hot in my mind, that while probably no one else would ever need one, *I* could really use a great ape in mortarboard and academic robes. An orangutan for preference, given their eccentric genius and their handlike feet. Reaper already does a Cyber-Ape, but that is a violent simian, and also I want three "hands" in use rather than two.
Here's the rough sketch,
and here's an armature I made late last night, compared to Orangutango.
I've been reading the advice posts, so I'll take it slow-ish, work in layers, and be ready to murder my darlings...
...is there other stuff I should be warned about? Is this a fool's errand? (yes, obviously, but can I *do* it?)
Love to hear from y'all!
It's the holidays, so I present to you ...
The Day of the Dead Fairy Tavern
"Zapata's Skull & Rose"
Okay, it's hokey, but my daughter enjoys the masks and such from the Day of the Dead and as I was trying out my homemade paper clay, I started to shape the fairy garden house. When I placed the windows where they ended up, they reminded me of a cockeyed skull and the idea was born.
Das Air Dry Clay
Two Plastic Bottles of different size with the bottoms cut off.
Glue Gun and Hot Glue
Painters or Masking Tape
Cardboard for the base
Extra Plastic from Product Packaging
Homemade Paper Clay
First off, if you haven't had the chance and want to do something like this ... I do plan to make terrain, etc. using these components ... I suggest Creative Mom's YouTube channel. Yes, it's all Fairy Homes and such but she does a damn good job on construction and design using the above components. They are lightweight and durable and hold a solid edge if you want to use any of those cool terrain stamps many of us bought into or a mold.
I hot glued the two bottles together so the cut ends are flush. I used a lot of glue to ensure that they were together solidly. Then after measuring a terracotta pot against the cardboard round from a frozen pizza, I glued the bottles to the cardboard. I wanted to ensure that there was space to glue the base to the pot's rim but not have the building flush to the edge.
I then glued some aluminum foil to the bottles to form some shapes. The "hat" was planned all along but it's going to be a sombrero now. So I glued a ring of foil around the bottle top and then added foil over the ring and flattened the edges. To strengthen the form and blend the bottleneck out a bit I used the painters' tape around the brim and across the back where the "smokestack" comes up.
To help bridge in between the two bottles a bit more I added a rope of foil from the front to the back in an arc and glued it down. Then I added more foil atop the cap of the second bottle to make it taller like and then used more foil and painters' tape to make it more of a long neck bottle. I glued a rectangle of packaging to the front as a box window.
With everything constructed, I spackled the shape with the Homemade Paper Clay. The reason I used the Homemade Paper Clay first is that I used recycled shredded paper instead of toilet paper to make the clay so it's very, lumpy.
The initial skinning of Homemade Paper Clay.
From here I wanted to apply a smoother surface for the finished product and wanted to add some sculpting. So instead of using a finer Homemade Paper Clay, I went for my Das Air Dry Clay. I created the skull face first.
Then tonight I skinned the "bottle" side of the tavern adding a petal edge to the front and back around the neck and blocking out the window.
Well, I have to finish the back of the skull side and then the sombrero. I have three Day of the Dead skull buttons I am going to embed in the sombrero per fairly common costumes.
I'll also add a bunch of details to the building and naturally, I will do my usual work on the ground. There are a lot of skulls that show a thin mustache for male ones, so I think I might make a series of boards tacked up to make a thin mustache to frame the doorway.
This is a vector skull I manipulated to sort of match my quazy skull face. I am thinking of doing it black on white like this.
As usual, thoughts and comments are welcome.
Enjoy and Stay Tuned!
Hi everyone, just wanted to share this Bigby's Hand spell effect mini I made. It is made of Fimo air dry clay and took me about 30 minutes painting included. I was inspired by D&D Icons of the Realms Spell Effects – Arcane Fury & Divine Might miniatures and diceded to try and make one of my own :D
Who's Online 59 Members, 2 Anonymous, 175 Guests (See full list)
- Xiwo Xerase
- Rainbow Sculptor
- Chris Palmer
- Al Capwn
- Lidless Eye
- Lars Porsenna
- Green Eyed Monster
- Doug Sundseth
- Knight of the Dinner Table