I've been sculpting a thing. The original WIP thread can be found here.

I've been making progress, but really need some feedback in case I'm doing something really wrong.

Here is the latest:

I've begun to bulk up the trunk and adding some bark texture. I'll be extending the roots down as well. They'll be hanging down the side of the base as shown in original WIP in the link above.

100716-tree.jpg

Comments, critiques very welcome. This is my first sculpt ever.

• Like 8

Your inspiration tree has less tapering from the roots to the fork, the limbs branching off are larger in diameter, and the limbs also run branch out at a more horizontal angle, some even angle back towards the ground.

If you take the sculpting spooky trees with Julie Guthrie, you make trees from materials other than green stuff.

rac.JPG

• Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm liking the tree. The bark is so much better than the one I recently finished for my last diorama.

But yeah -- I'll have to agree with Cosmic's suggestion to study more trees. A few questions, though:

1) How big is the base/intended size of the project? A small base with a giant tree is going to get overpowered, and look wildly unbalanced (not tipping over because of weight, but unbalanced in the sense of composition). I can see in your WiP that you wanted a spooky tree, but you can cut it down, and still maintain the creepiness, so that it all fits nicely on a base (and shelf).

2) Will there be foilage?

3) The spoiler blocks are to prevent your Secret Sophie from accidentally seeing the pics? Or...?

• Like 1

Spoilers are a mix, to keep my recipient from seeing things by accident (giving them the choice), and also for those on minimal data plans or mobile (like my phone) to load faster.

The base and idea are in the original WIP thread in the linked post. The base is a 4" square tile and will be built up with cork.

I want the tree to look more right in scale. An oak has large, long sweeping branches. More pictures are also linked in my first thread I started a while ago.

The pictures shown, above, in the spoiler of my main inspirational tree is really what I'm modeling from. There will be bits of foliage, and a lot of Spanish moss as shown in the Laughing Ferret tutorial.

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MoonglowMinis
      So i've got that trio of spiders from nolzur's.

They do not come with sculpted bases - unlike most of the nolzur's line.  This isn't a huge issue, except that these suckers have a bunch of tiny spindly legs.  I am worried about getting a good hold.

So I have a few questions:

1: how to fasten these guys to a base?  Just glue the legs and hope, or pin them through the body like a flightstand?
      2: how to sculpt/or assemble, suitable bases to compliment their spindly nature and ensure a better hold.
      3: how to attach the spider in a way that I can paint underneath it OR should I find a way to glue it down after both parts are painted?

So the webbed victim shown in the photo above I have decided to leave out as a piece of scatter.  There is a stone base (not pictured) that I have already glued to a reaper base for one of the spiders.  Each of the spiders has a slightly different pose with their legs - which is made worse by them being bent out of shape.  I'm hoping to use this as an advantage though, and pose each spider differently.  One is rearing back with front legs up (this one I plan to glue to the supplied rocky base with the abdomen glued to the ground for extra support.

Another spider has one side of legs kind of bent under a bit.  I'm thinking this would look good mounted sideways, crawling up the side of a fallen log (not sure if I should try to sculpt this, or find a twig to glue to the base).

The last spider is pretty neutral, but I was thinking of posing it climbing down something just for variety.

Any advice about sculpting the bases vs gluing organic material or mounting something with narrow points of contact would be tremendously helpful.  My indecision has lead to two weeks of no painting.
    • By Mnutz
      Does anyone know if the two victim sculpts in the tree of despair set will (or are) ever going to be available separate from the set? I need a couple dozen. Thought about creating my own but id rather spend my money here first if possible. Alternatively is anyone aware of a reaper figure i could use as a substitute? Thank you all for any help.
    • By MoonglowMinis
      Better late than never.

Here's some fun Pumpkin Horrors I painted up for @Inarah for Secret Sophie this past December.  I was still riding on my Halloween spirit when Secret Sophie began, but wanted to do something that fit the winter theme.  Inspired by the snowman-like design of the Pumpkin horrors and my own past mistakes of leaving pumpkins outside to rot all winter, I decided to do a holiday mashup with these guys left out in the cold too long.

With some time having passed, I wish I would have made them look a bit rotten and frost-bitten, but I also like the more colorful result.

More Photos Below the Spoiler:

These were some fun minis and my first time working with metal.  I have now broken the seal and have started looking into other minis that I previously considered off-limits.  I also enjoyed participating in Secret Sophie and joining in to some of the forum shenanigans.  I highly recommend participating in these kinds of things for any who have been reticent.

What are some of your favorite holiday minis?
    • By Kangaroorex
      My Secret Sophie arrived at its destination i can share with everyone.  My recipient wanted something cute.  I thought it would be cute to have a man feeding his pet.  Just because his pet happens to be a rust weevil should not be held against him. 

I saw the barbarian and it looked like he was throwing the swords rather than. Actually using them to hit anything.  I also had a spare rust weevil and the whole thing just came together.

Roger got the old swords out of the box from his adventuring days.  It had been a while since he'd been out to the dungeons but at the rate George was going through weapons, he was either going to need to buy a new crate or go delving.  Maybe this time he'd just buy a box of old weapons, let the younger kids go fight the baddies.  These two look okay.  He grabs the weapons and heads out to the field.  When he reached the edge of the field he looks out over the fine red and tan soil and dust.  HEY GEORGE!  He yells out over the field.  In moments George shows up jumping and chittering.  "Hey George" he says again, "its dinnertime!  FETCH!"

• By Kuroneko
      The battle against the forces of evil takes place on many levels. Sometimes it's a clash of mighty armies, whilst other times terrifying behemoths clash in the sky, terrifying the populace for miles around. Others.....well, they're far more personal.

This was my contribution to this years Secret Sophie gift exchange. It portrays the winner of a long, hard won battle between evenly matched opponents and I suspect the only thing keeping that little dragon up is pride and a good dose of adrenaline

This was a number of firsts for me- my first semi successful NMM attempt, first ever diorama and first Secret Sophie. I had a great time and I'll certainly do it again!

Thanks for looking, as always any comments/criticisms are certainly welcome.
  • Who's Online   15 Members, 0 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)