Winsor & Newton Brush - Is this normal?

I've constantly heard how great kolinsky sable brushes are, especially Winsor & Newton Series 7 brushes. I went to my local art store and picked up some Princeton and Silver brands, but was not impressed with them.

So I decided to order a Winsor & Newton Series 7, Size 0 brush from National Art Supply through Amazon. I received it yesterday expecting a brush in perfect condition. Instead, it had no point, was frayed, and looks like it has been used. Do they normally look like this when you buy them new?

post-14140-0-04001400-1476199893_thumb.jpg

post-14140-0-90612300-1476199900_thumb.jpg

post-14140-0-57023800-1476199911_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not normal.

Winsor and Newton Series 7s are marketed in a protective plastic tube, a little like a sealed test tube.  Then inside that they have a little piece of plastic tubing over the hairs themselves, which are held in place with a little glue which needs to be washed out before the brush can be used.

Anything that comes loose and open like this has been removed from its packaging and possibly messed up.

• Like 8

I wouldn't say this is normal, but the W&N Series 7s I ordered and received recently only had the outer plastic tubing.  It was open ended at both ends and still serviceable, but there was no extra layer of protection and no glue holding anything in place.  I got a 3, 1, 0, 00 and 000.  One of mine looked pretty much like this.  Most of the rest were in good shape.  As most of these were from third party, no telling what might be happening, but I had one of the brushes ship from merry olde England and it was packed the same as the others.

• Like 2

That brush looks as if it has been used, and used HARD!

And I bet you paid an overprice, too.

It may be possible to rescue it with a brush restorer, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Search out Jacksonsart in England and get a few brushes from there.

(The £ is at rock bottom right now. And if you buy over a certain amount just in brushes, nothing else in the order, you get free worldwide shipping)

A cheaper alternative is Rosemary & Co, but

• Like 4

I know, it looks like someone drybrushed with it with white paint! I paid $13 with free shipping, which seemed about right from what I've seen online.

I've washed it, used brush soap to clean it a few times, and I'm leaving a light coating of brush soap on the tip to hold it in place. Hopefully it'll be salvageable.

Fortunately, Amazon just refunded my purchase, so I'll try Jacksonsart like you suggested.

Thanks!

• Like 2

I've constantly heard how great kolinsky sable brushes are, especially Winsor & Newton Series 7 brushes. I went to my local art store and picked up some Princeton and Silver brands, but was not impressed with them.

So I decided to order a Winsor & Newton Series 7, Size 0 brush from National Art Supply through Amazon. I received it yesterday expecting a brush in perfect condition. Instead, it had no point, was frayed, and looks like it has been used. Do they normally look like this when you buy them new?

I have a lot of W&N series 7, Like Pingo mentioned, these come in a plastic tube, and have a  protective tube over the hairs too.

This one looks like it was the last one in store and being left out in the open.

I wouldn't accept this one.

They're expensive enough!

• Like 1

When I buy brushes online, I aim for a value of £30+ (VAT/TOLL rules for Norway. Get over 350NOK included shipping, and I get hit with 25% VAT and a handling fee)

Note that on Jacksons, the prices are Inc VAT, and it's only at checkout you see the price you pay if you're outside of the UK / EU.

Rosemary & Co shows both Ex and Inc VAT prices, though.

Anyway...

Have you bought a brush soap?

(No, normal hand soap or dish soap will not do)

• Like 4