• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been thinking about making one sized closer to what I'm used to...for the groove I was thinking of just making shallow saw cuts while the spindle was in a vise and just rotating it as needed. Wouldn't be as perfect, but a quick sanding to smooth and who cares?

edit: oh, I see I haven't posted pics of my handles! Woops, I'll remedy that this weekend, time permitting...

• Like 1

I actually thought I'd use this paint. :P I think it cost $5, so, whatever.

Anyway, since I'm painting 20 similar figures at once, yeah, they're useful.

Sticky tack's too sticky for me, so I'm trying out white glue.

normal-3befea46871b40cbe8a1bee9bd042a54-

Edited by ced1106

I use old pill bottles with some poster tac on top. Although I just got my first larger mini, so I'll have to find something for that.

For larger based minis, many types of crazy glue come in larger tubes. I have also bought thicker dowels and cut off 4" chunks. For even bigger pieces, I've used the cap from a rattle can and poster putty. Not ideal for top heavy pieces but works for most.

For un-based models, I have a couple different sizes of cork stoppers (they are bevelled so stand better than straight cork).

Right now I use wooden spools with double sided tape. In the pastI have used pill bottles and bottle caps. The bottle caps were soda bottle caps with a slot cut in the top to hold the tab on some minis. You then cut off the neck of the bottle and then glue it to a dowel.

I just made some upgrades on mine. Take a look.

post-13341-0-52447700-1478533361.jpg

• I have a carpenter friend of mine here at work and he add in a groove all the way around. Then I just took a hanger and bend it around and adjusted it. Works great, spins all the way around, etc. :) 

• Like 11

OK, after looking at the Rathcore mini holders, I figured I could make one of these if I had access to a lathe and the rest of my old tools. Looking at what I did have, a fake thread spool from the craft store that I already use as a mini holder, some extra magic sculpt, and an old school heavy coat-hanger....

Bing! I've got this. I made this up the other day. I used a ring of the Magic-Sculpt for the bottom ring to hold the coat-hanger wire in place. I have the wire piece wrapping completely around the base, the the open ends are at the top. These ends are held in place with another blob of Magic-Sculpt.

The putty has had a few days to harden now, so I'll give it a try tonight. I want to see if I can get this halfling painted up tonight, for my friend to use in our Saturday game tomorrow.

• Like 9

Gentlemen, we can build them. We have the technology. We have the capability to make our own miniature holders. RouterMike will be that builder.

It will be... the 6 dollar holder. \(◠ヮ◠)/

It's great you believe in me, but I'm not interested in stepping on Rathcore's cool tools. I went in on the kickstarter so I'll have the real thing in a few months. I just wanted to see what I could put together in an afternoon. (And I'm not always a patient monkey)

Though I'm happy to take individual pictures of the wire if anyone's interested in how that is done.

Gentlemen, we can build them. We have the technology. We have the capability to make our own miniature holders. RouterMike will be that builder.

It will be... the 6 dollar holder. \(◠ヮ◠)/

It's great you believe in me, but I'm not interested in stepping on Rathcore's cool tools. I went in on the kickstarter so I'll have the real thing in a few months. I just wanted to see what I could put together in an afternoon. (And I'm not always a patient monkey)

Though I'm happy to take individual pictures of the wire if anyone's interested in how that is done.

No, I was just being a goof paraphrasing the 6 million dollar man opening. I went all in on the Rathcore kickstarter. Should have 4 holders, a grip and a bunch of extra adapters sometime next month. I just love seeing DIY projects. I used to be a woodworker and big DIY enthusiast. 

...and when I was little I'd pretend to be Steve Austin

• Like 1