Lidless Eye

Lidless Eye WiP: Ajaxxus Skiotho, Tiefling Barbarian conversion

Many moons ago, when the first official preview for D&D 5E were coming out, a friend and I were discussing that the Paladin preview had a Half-Orc as the example art, and it would be interesting to see more atypical race/class combos in the books.  He had suggested a Tiefling Barbarian, and lo and behold, not but five minutes later, WotC previewed the Barbarian and it was...a generic Viking style Human.

Later that day, during downtime at work, I thought I'd make it up to both of us and sketch out a concept for a Tiefling Barbarian.  I kept the 4E & 5E pact-style Tieflings, and took a bit of influence from the design of Warcraft's Draenei, (a race of dimension travelers, who fled from their brethren who signed on with demons).  After all, my main character in the game for almost a decade was a Draenei Warrior!

Here's the initial sketch:

post-390-0-55721100-1476545257.jpg

• Like 4

I wound up liking the design, and used it for my character concept for "Tyranny of the Dragons".  Ajaxxus Skiotho was a former hermit, living in the mountains to get away from the wicked ways of his traditionalist Asmodean family.  One day, a roaming Hellhound attacked him while he was gathering supplies, and as he struggled with it, it spoke to him in a strange voice of a way for him to redeem himself and his kin from the sins of the father.  Upon its instruction, he took its hide as mantle, his family's maul, and went back into civilization. (mostly a way to explain the furs...and the Tiefling's natural magic and Totem Barbarians give a nice spiritual alternate to the typical frothing rager)

I had converted a miniature for him from a HeroClix Frankenstein, which I had previously shown on the Show-Off pages, but wasn't happy with how it matched the art:

post-390-0-28602700-1476546381_thumb.jpg

post-390-0-03465600-1476546397_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

As some publicly hosted games do, Tyranny of the Dragons game found itself with too many players, and I bowed out.  Another game started up of the Encounters seasons, and I brought Ajaxxus back, with a revised miniature.  I liked this version more, but he was still strangely scaled for a Tiefling and still not very close to the art:

post-390-0-33898900-1476548386_thumb.jpg

post-390-0-09360700-1476548387_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I've been wanting to get some greenstuff practice in, and a few days back I wanted to make an Ajaxxus 5.0 (maybe it's not really his 5th incarnation in the two odd years since the sketch, but it feels like it).

I'm nowhere up to sculpting a body from scratch, and I found myself out of body blanks, so I went through my extras and found the closest thing I had, the original Heresy Miniatures "Mullet the Barbarian"

This is not my version, but to give those who are unfamiliar with the base piece, an old shot from their website:

post-390-0-98503200-1476548752.jpg

• Like 3

Unfortunately, I didn't think to snap some shots before I had applied any green stuff.  His additional bits are the head from the old Chaos Mutations sprue, which was carved down to reshape his horns and line them up with his brow, add a chin cleft, etc.  The hands are from Warhammer Beastmen Gors, his extra pouch to cover up the removed scabbard from Empire Flagellants, and his tail, just as the original, is from a Chaos Spawn tentacle, this time smoothed out.

The hammerhead caused the most problems...while I had several mauls in my bountiful bitz box, I didn't have any that looked odd compared to his heroic scale.  The Stonehaven Undead Dwarf had to donate a weapon...he'll be on my "repair" list soon enough.

The first shots:

post-390-0-56756400-1476549024_thumb.jpg

post-390-0-40335900-1476549429_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Some near finished shots.  He still needs a few spots touched up, and some sealants applied...safety first!

He wound up ending a bit more Hellboy than Draenei, but I can be okay with that.  I was going to go for a more earthy-red than devil, but I thought it got lost with his clothing's tones.  I couldn't really picture him wearing bright colors given the background, other than the fiery stripe of the Hellhound furs:

post-390-0-60096800-1476552534_thumb.jpg

post-390-0-00696900-1476552563_thumb.jpg

post-390-0-65573500-1476552563_thumb.jpg

post-390-0-91534700-1476552688_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

And, if it wasn't obvious...this was not exactly a live Work-in-Progress tracker!  I'd been keeping a more accurately timed track of the process on Facebook, but thought I don't post many WiPs on this forum other than "what's on your paint table" types.  This was the most I've done with greenstuff in a long time, and thought I'd keep record.

• Like 2

Neat-o!

Any plans for a conversion?

Yes, I was just on the slow-posting computer...wait...

Very cool conversion!!

Thanks!  I've got a game of D&D to GM tonight, but I'm hoping to put the finishing touches on him tomorrow and call it a wrap.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Joshinminn
      I ordered the new wraiths that were just released that were part of the Bones 4 KS. I thought they were going to be opaque (that's how they were first posted), and was bummed when they arrived as translucent. Mostly because I have never painted a translucent before. So I ordered up a couple other green guys to try out some technique.

After botching up the Spirit figure with AP green quickshade, I moved on to this Grave Wraith. I used Muddy Brown on the ground, Mountain Stone on the gravestone and Bronze Dragon on the sword. I liberally used AP strong quickshade as a base on the wraith, and then highlighted with the Green Clear Bright. I think it looks pretty good. Any suggestions or comments welcome. I really want a creepy Nazgul look on my B4 wraiths, and this turned out better than I thought it might.

• By Mutilatedlips
      Finished him rather quickly because he was a breeze to paint. No assembly required is always welcome.
      Only complaint I might have is these reaper models with already sculpted thick bases that I have to try and work around to base the figure myself. 
      Steals away some of the creativity and fun.

• By Lidless Eye
      Recently arrived from Japan, here's my work on the Space Marine Heroes III: Death Guard set.

• By Pegazus
      Yes, a 2020 ReaperCon WIP! And a massive undertaking at that. I'm trying very hard not to nerd out and put this whole project into, er, Project. There's just so many pieces to keep track of, that maybe I'll just use this first post to keep track of things.

Some background stuff, starting with a quote from the "Paint a giant robot! Group WIP" where I wrote some of what's planned:

You can read the rest of that post here: Paint a giant robot post and a second one to see where I'm going with this: PLA print post in same topic

Biggest takeaway is that, while useful, my PLA printer can only do so much. I have a resin printer backed on Kickstarter, but considering it's now 3 years late, I don't think I should hold my breath on it ever showing up. Especially when I can get a new Elegoo Mars resin printer with more capability for relatively cheap (<$300). The PLA machine was bought with both hobby and household goals in mind, and it's served well. But the resolution just ain't there! More on that down the posts.

I also had the chance to gain some experience on  paper plants at ReaperCon (Main post for that in the Terrain section post here: Vellum Paper Plants - Alien Jungle (WIP)

Basically, I have the scrap booking machine to make my own alien plants:

Which now leads me to this WIP. This is going to tie all those pieces together. The robot WIP will still be to get a good camo scheme, but that print job is not going to be used for the final diorama. Instead, that will be the resin printer's job. So, let's break down the WIP work that I can see so far, and will be edited later to add things and mark completions.

Tasks to be completed:

Figures Needed
      Wight (being pulled down backwards, caught by hidden lines) Gremlin Unit 01 (stole a supply crate and ran; actually just bait to get the larger CAV to follow) Gremlin Units 02 and 03 (trip line pair, successfully snagging Wight across the chest) Gremlin Units 04 and 05 (trip line pair, successful across another part of the chest) Gremlin Unit 06 (burner unit, cut Wight's left gun in two) Gremlin Units 07 and 08 (trap door unit, hiding entrance to jungle path with camo doors strapped to them) Gremlin Units 09 and 10 (trip line pair, successful across right thigh) Gremlin Units 11 and 12 (trip line pair, broken cable across chest, possibly falling over from sudden jolt) Gremlin Unit 13 (ECM unit, some large radar dish looking thing) Gremlin Units 14, 15 and 16 (cargo units, loaded up with stolen supplies and headed out) Gremlin Units 17, 18, 19, and 20 (gun units) Gremlin Units 21, 22, and 23 (missile units) Gremlin Unit 24 (large gun unit) Gremlin Unit 25 and 26 (junked units; scavenged for parts?) Gremlin Unit 27 (2nd style missile unit) Gremlin Unit 28 (personnel carrier unit)  
      Wight Conversion
      Right Leg: cut from pelvis; reposition Feet: cut off both feet and swap positions since the tread is only on one foot Base: cut away from right foot, possibly keeping full base around left foot Left arm (maybe): cut gun into two pieces, having one falling to the ground after being cut by a heat lance/chainsaw rope  
      Details to be included
      Camo doors at front leaving marks on the dirt path, but hiding the ambush from the main trail Pieces of old broken larger CAV units around Wight gun cut in two, maybe showing inner details. May have to 3D print an add-on piece Dust being kicked up by the stolen crate (going to try using dyed cotton) IN WORK One cable snapping dynamically, with several bends and twists (superglue on thread?) Multiple vehicle tracks around camp Campfire and tents for people A latrine Other camp details (laundry, chairs, sports equipment, bored carvings, etc)  
      Jungle Plants (V=Vellum cuts, B=bought, S=Sculpted, F=Found, P=Printed)
      Large lotus flower like plants, but dry land and maybe odd colors with a large conifer cone growing from the middle (V) Jester hat plant (balls on stems around a central point) (V) COMPLETED Spiky yucca like plant (V) Jagged leaf plant (V) Tentacle plant (V) Tripod trees (three spoke trunks) (V) Large palm fronds (S) Coral like trees (P) Horn tree (lots of horn shaped leaves from a central trunk) (P, V) Ball vine (like ivy but with odd leaf shapes) (V) Cabbage-like jungle plants with large wrinkled leaves (V) Fuzzy vines (thin wire coated with static grass) (S) Anything I can buy from N/HO scale train setups and painted alien-ish (B) Reaper figures that can be clipped and painted to be plants (B) Odd trees with strange leaf shapes (onion shaped) (V) IN WORK Random grass-like jungle plants (V) IN WORK Stem ends from mandarin oranges (seriously, pull one off and look at it, stem towards the ground) (F) Anything and everything else (VBSFP)  
      Base mounting system
      Design and print modular tiles with bristles on top (basically, Bristle Block toys) Allows mounting of all the above jungle plants Fill in around plants with thinned plaster via a syringe to create the ground surfaces
    • By HolkDiggity
      Hey, all!

Over the course of Bones 5, there were a few models that I was hoping for. I would say that Reaper totally exceeded my expectations and covered about 90% of my personal hopes. One of the things that wasn't in there was an Azer. For those of you who don't know, an Azer is a creature from the plane of fire, and they resemble Dwarves. They are so hot that their heads are covered in flames, and often this heat causes their weapons to be set aflame as well.

Since I had an extra Dark Dwarf Pounder from my November order, I figured that I'd try my hand at a conversion. I have exactly zero experience with sculpting other than filling gaps or making a rock or two, but I have YouTube, so why not? The first thing that I did was get the model and choose a base to put it on. I went with a simple flagstone base from Secret Weapon.

Next, I shaved off and filed down the little "3 Nail" sigil that these dudes wear. I like that Sigil just fine, but its more representative of Duergar than an Azer, so off it comes. I also clipped away the oval base and filed the feet to be flat.

Next, I washed the model and pinned it to a cork. I also washed the base and drilled a hole for the pin, and then stuck that on a cork as well. Once the model was dry, I mixed up some Green Stuff and followed along with a step-by-step for fire that I found online. Basically, you start with a cone and stick it down. I put it on the Dwarf's head, and then used a thin tool to push down the edges of the cone into the head and shoulders. Then, I used tweezers to twist and pull the top of the cone into a sort of whirlwind. Then, dipping the tweezers in water to keep them from sticking, I took sections of the Green Stuff and pulled outward and twisted. Once I had the flames the way I wanted them, I went back in with the tool and made more indentations in the fire. I did the same thing with the flames on the weapon.

I'm waiting for him to dry and cure right now, and then I'll get on to priming him and painting him up this weekend! Stay tuned!
  • Who's Online   42 Members, 1 Anonymous, 210 Guests (See full list)