Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
So for awhile now I've had this goal, nay, this desire, nay, this primal compulsion to build a boat. It is not enough to have hand drawn maps, or 2D terrain tiles. I need a fully functioning 3D boat! Well, maybe not fully functioning. But I want to build a cool boat!
I've been working on a nautical campaign full of swashbuckling, sailing, and sea monsters for a few years now. It's my White Whale project. Always just on the horizon. It'll happen some day, but in the meantime, I have a million small projects to complete and extend the chase. One of which is my desire to build a few different sized ships to enliven any possible naval combat.
I actually attempted this about two years ago, just winging it and making some measurements and throwing them at some craft supplies. I wanted a cheap option that wasn't too difficult to repeat that way I wouldn't be discouraged from making multiple ships. So I limited it to cheap crafting materials like foamcore, wooden dials, popsicle sticks, and thumbtacks. And the result wasn't bad. Especially for my first attempt at any kind of terrain building.
It actually turned out rather nice! To my surprise. But I got hung up on mast and sail designs and never finished.
The wood on the deck had 2x1in grid carved into it for easier D&D use.
and the figurehead was designed to be modular.
However, overtime the boat collected dust and little scratches. I should have given it a coat of mod podge or sealant of some kind, but never did. And eventually it had an unfortunate run in with an injured owl that we took in for a night.
Here's the little devil himself.
Anyways, I put this project on the back burner for long enough and feel inspired to dive back in. Especially with a certain Bones ship on the Horizon that I'm still on the fence about getting. I was doing some browsing on the web and recently found this wonderful little blog complete with loose instructions and a plan from a now defunct wargamming site. The blog creator had found the old plan and adapted it to build something using most of the same materials I have already stockpiled.
There's a few choices that I like better than my first attempt so I think I'm going to use this as some inspiration as I give this boat thing another go.
My hold up now is still those darn masts. The original plan above used wood and required drilling out holes for the masts. The blogger use foam for his ship and found random bits of tubing to house his masts. I could try to find something random like that, but I was hoping to find something simpler for easy repetition. And I would also like to keep the masts loose so they can be removed for easy storage, or to swap out the sails. Any thoughts?
Any resources, tips, recommendations are very welcome! I'll post back here with any updates.
So I salvaged this bit of 16×20 particle board from a broken picture frame. I'll be using some of my foam core to make a city square/crossroads board with my foam rollers. Something for city games that isn't too time consuming, but is also good for a wide spread of genres with the proper buildings and scatter
The tough part will be steaming off the paper and cutting down the various bits for rolling.
A bunch of ceramic decorative mushrooms from a craft store and some arms and legs from some plastic Sentinel miniatures, and I whipped up some tiny swole shroomfellas!
Also got a Fungal Bruiser, 44135, and painted it in the scheme of the Gomphidius glutinosus plate from Von Frieden's Mushrooms of the World.
Added my usual pinhead sprouts and repurposed a bit of green stuff I'd originally intended as a cloche hat as a mushroom cap.
And here's all our funguys and fungals!
So after too many years of painting with my bottles just in boxes or standing around on my shelf of shame or in various drawers, I have finally at much cost of labor made paint organizers! BEHOLD! I made these to hold up to 204 Reaper dropper sized bottles (Army Painter and Vallejo fit too). They aren't the only ones I use by any means, but they're the bulk of my paint collection.
Wasn't the hardest thing in the world, but honestly I might try another method if I do this again. Right now the units are loose, probably going to lean them on the wall--eventually I would put supports on the backs so they can stand up at an angle (think picture frames). The insane super duper bonus feature is that I can put the two together and transport, or more importantly, SHAKE all my paints at once! The main purpose was organization though and being able to see each of my paints and, when I've organized and sorted them, see the spectrum at a glance rather than digging through a drawer as I have been doing. For the chromophiles out there I'll post pics when they're sorted and in their proper places.
To make them, I sized the bottles and figured out the hole size and spacing (bottles are about 1" diameter, I used a 1 1/8" hole saw (paddle bit blew out the back side) and drilled 102 holes (sandwiched the 3/4" boards together). It took hours as my drills' batteries kept dying and the saw lost its good edge by the 60th holes or so. I used the "holes" I drilled out as supports (had to chisel the middle supports in half) between the silver parts and the 5mm (yes, civilized world, in the US we know how to use proper/metric, and certain sizes of wood are specified in metric!) plywood base (black, not really visible). I carefully glued and screwed these together. Decided to use up some spray paint I had lying around. Enjoy and be inspired!
Our funding level wizards sculpted, cast and ready to buy! Kronos of Kree does battle with Marina the Water Mage Emilia the Promethean Sorceress takes on Zeph the Majestic!
Who's Online 28 Members, 1 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)