Bones Shadow Dragon (77108) as Blue Dragon

lexomatic

I'm playing Hoard of the Dragon Queen, and apparently we need a dragon. So I'm painting the Shadow Dragon that's been in my "Box of 20" unpainted minis as a blue dragon. Last night I boiled, cleaned and glued the wings (because why not? Oh, ok... THAT's why not) and slopped on blue liner/medium.

I will probably slop on some more liner to actually line.

Colors I'm planning on using.

-Interference Blue (Yes, this dragon has been Pingo'd).

Skin:Dragon Blue (!), Frost Blue, Blue Flame, Ghost White, Magic Blue (VGC), Denim Blue

Plates/Bone: Handle Wood (SW), Bone White (VGC), Pearl White, Creamy Ivory.

That may be more than I actually use, though.

No mold line prep.

• Like 1

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So second thinned coat of liner applied. Light drybrush with frost blue on face and wings.

One coat of dragon blue on body ( no head or wings or dorsal ridge).

One coat of wood handle on horns, plates, teeth and non-foot bony areas.

Just wanted to get a look at things before deciding on colors.

post-12970-0-44170500-1476984839_thumb.jpg

post-12970-0-29379000-1476984858_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Did a bit more work. Some highlights of creamy ivory on the bony bits, and some shading with the denim blue. A tiny bit of rescuing the face. Still need to mid-tone that.

Discovered that Magic Blue is darker than I thought... changed plans after rescuing wings.

Pics later because I have deadlines today.

The colors are pretty close actually, though yes a bit yellow. The dragon is sitting on brown parchment paper, and the white cardboard in the back is an off-white (but should be more white). And it`s a bit of a pain changing white balance on the phone. I tend to do the auto, but leave something pure white then crop that out. But adjusting after not so great.

More shading and highlighting. A bit on the wings disrupted by feuding cats that had to be separated.

I need to go 1 higher 2 darker on the wings and then 1 higher and darker on the body. Highest leather white on plates.

Then yellow eyes and maybe dark brown wash on plates then interference blue on the body ( before and after coming) then the base.

And here's where I'm at for the day. Still need to do mouth. probably wash bone/ mouth and add yellow eyes. Then interference blue. dunno how it will look after that.

post-12970-0-44203100-1477246038_thumb.jpg

post-12970-0-07396800-1477246100_thumb.jpg

post-12970-0-23301600-1477246059_thumb.jpg

post-12970-0-77114600-1477246132_thumb.jpg

post-12970-0-93595800-1477246154_thumb.jpg

More lopsided than I would like. Not sure if I want to straighten at this point.

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 5