Sign in to follow this  
Pippin

Sculpted Barbarian Warband

So, I recently ran across a couple of bodies I'd created simply in an attempt to work on my basic sculpting of anatomy. I decided to sculpt one of them into a barbarian. Shortly after, I started giving him a barbarian buddy. Then, I grabbed a discarded sculpt realizing he'd make a great barbarian shaman. Before I knew it, I was creating a warband. I made 11 total members, so I can either have a spare (for when I inevitably have deaths) or I can just have them set up camp in an inn.

First off, here's the whole crew.

R7KDSjr.jpg

Next up, we have Grim Windreaver and his apprentice Kyryelle Bloodmoon.

oMWkt5d.jpg

Of course, they need some meatshileds to keep them safe, so we have Ulf Strom, Sig Bloodseeker, and Dern Crookedblade.

HD71IKC.jpg

Then, they'll need speedy and sneaky types to haul off treasure, so our thief/treasure hunter types are Derna Crookedblade (Dern's sister), Wyn Swiftblade, and Thrayde Rawfang.

pfHEE7r.jpg

And finally, archers to rain a volley of arrows down on our foes. We have Sterno Warhawk, Yng Razorbow, and Yvara Shang.

DW6J7dK.jpg

Looking over them, it's pretty obvious to me, anatomy-wise, which ones were earlier practice sculpts and which ones I did more recently. That's encouraging!

I'm looking forward to getting these guys painted up and ready to go.

Hope you enjoyed them. Comments and constructive criticism always welcome :=)

• Like 18

Very nice! And a great way to use old practice models! Thay make a nice scruffy band of barbarians. If I had to make a constructive criticism, I'd say some of them look a little spindly, like they could use a bit more meat on their bones.

Like KruleBear, I'm also eager to see them painted up.

Great names, too!

• Like 1

A very unique style. Now they need some paint! Lol ::):

Thanks! I'm looking forward to throwing paint at them...once I find enough time :=/

Very nice! And a great way to use old practice models! Thay make a nice scruffy band of barbarians. If I had to make a constructive criticism, I'd say some of them look a little spindly, like they could use a bit more meat on their bones.

Like KruleBear, I'm also eager to see them painted up.

Great names, too!

Yeah, the spindly ones are some of the examples of earlier sculpts working on anatomy where I hadn't gotten it quite right. To my mind, it kind of made sense that a roming, nomadic band ending up being way-underdressed for the frozen lands would also struggle to find enough food there. See? I can create story to justify sculpting issues ;=)

Thanks, everyone, for looking, liking, and commenting.

• Like 3

May not have been what you're going for, but it reminds me of early Greek depiction of figures. Like what you see on pottery or depictions of early Olympic games.

May not have been what you're going for, but it reminds me of early Greek depiction of figures. Like what you see on pottery or depictions of early Olympic games.

This is rather amusing, but I had actually been thinking of referring to this warband as "The Barbaroi" as it was the Greek term for "foreigners" and we get our term "barbarian" from that Greek root. (Yes, social studies teacher nerdism just happened) Now that you've made the Greek art association, that proves that name was destined to work ;=)

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll be getting this crew to the painting table sometime soon...

• Like 2

The Barbarian Lads & Lasses are WONDERFULLY whimsical with a charm more state of the art miniatures often lack. OUTSTANDING WORK!

The Barbarian Lads & Lasses are WONDERFULLY whimsical with a charm more state of the art miniatures often lack. OUTSTANDING WORK!

Many thanks! I'm glad you enjoy the character in the characters ;=) Of course, since you seem to have cornered the market on whimsy, that makes the compliment even more meaningful :=)

Good work on them.

Thanks, wolf! I've gotten started throwing paint on them. I may do a work in progress, but I kind of forget to stop and take pictures, so it would be more of a sporadically neglected thread of infrequent updates rather than a work in progress. Maybe a this-doesn't-work in progress?