Looking for a particular color

I'm looking for a good, dark gray paint. Something that's a decent first step in highlighting black without having to do as much mixing. I'm not seeing anything specifically in the paint listing, but it could just be the images on the site via my monitor. So I figured I'd ask the community: What's your recommended paint color for a near-black grey, preferably neutral rather than blue-tinted as many are?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes to highlighting up from black, it pays to know what he final effect will be. Is it cloth? Is it leather? Something glossy or flat? Black is tricky for highlighting, because even the first highlight begins to affect whatever overall effect you are trying to achieve. So I would not rely on just one gray for all highlighting. But in short, I usually go like this:

For tire rubber and leather or latex effects, I use Reaper's Dark Elf Triad, starting with the shadow for my first highlight over black. No mixing needed. For rubber only two highlights are necessary. Latex or leather are going to require you keep going up to white. But the Dark Elf Triad is great because though it has a bit of a purplish tint, I've never seen it separate into blue or purple, as other grays do.

For every other application, like a cloth effect, I simply begin mixing in white or some flat gray like Greatcoat Gray or Ironhull Gray from P3. The Greatcoat does separate into blue, though, if you water it down. You have to keep mixing it.

• Like 3

My advice is to look at whatever material IRL you're wanting to mimic (metal, plastic, leather, cloth; and conversely the type of cloth as velvet will look different than taffeta or silk or cotton) and then decide where your light source is coming from. This is very important when highlighting black, since some materials suck up light (glossy plastic, patent leather) and have sparse, sharp highlights and others actually appear more greyish in tone (some plastics) with tight, blended highlights. Then there's velvet, which kinda does both in it's own weird way.

• Like 1

I'm looking for a good, dark gray paint. Something that's a decent first step in highlighting black without having to do as much mixing. I'm not seeing anything specifically in the paint listing, but it could just be the images on the site via my monitor. So I figured I'd ask the community: What's your recommended paint color for a near-black grey, preferably neutral rather than blue-tinted as many are?

Take a look at Scale 75. Graphene Gray, Brown Gray, Anthartic Grey, Flat Black, Decay Black, Graphite, Eclipse Grey, Black Leather, Petroleum Grey, and Rainy Grey.

One of those will fit your needs, just take a look and see which one is the best for you.

• Like 1

Stormy Grey is a darker grey..  

Several of the Reaper black paints actually have a color tone to them.. R.A.M black (OOP) is a greenish black, Nightmare Black is a bluish black I think.. clear purple is really dark too

Nightmare Black is BLUE.

... to my eye, anyway, although it is a very deep, dark blue, it has a lovely near-pthalo shade when thinned and glazed over something lighter. >.>

Um. Walnut brown is a good, dense colour, and I've found Grey Liner to be useful where the Brown Liner is not. YMMV.

Black is rarely BLACK.. it all depends on the light you want to imitate.