Feedback about ReaperCon '16

GuyWithCoolBackpack

I learned:

Not to bring stuff to do in the evening, 'cause I'm just going to go to the fire pit and drink Dilvish's rum.

Rental cars are handy, but are pieces of crap and really expensive. This also reinforced that I really hate automatics.

Sleeping is overrated, I'll have to catch up at home.

I should take Monday off too so I don't miss the Auction.

The light produced by my travel lamp is useless in the convention center.

I should "Hang out" on the Reaper forums and I needed a new account with a better name.

Jessica Rich is an awesome teacher and I can't wait to start adding more freehand and portraiture to my figs.

I've learned that fluids, translucent fabric and NMM aren't as hard as I've been making them out to be and I just need to practice.

My blending needs more work :(

Sculpting little itty bitty faces is HARD... but I'll be practicing...

8 classes (9 sessions) is considered a lot by pretty much everyone (though I was fine with it). I think I'll only take 7 next time... but that's just so I can do some social painting. 

I need to spend more time on basing and display (borrrring)

My husband's glasses and mine look the same ... but are VERY different! I now have cool leopard readers which should fix that confusion.

I'll be back next year...and I'll be starting the contest pieces tomorrow.

Well, the rides were still appreciated!!

You're Welcome!

• Like 4

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Painting:

- Contrast! Highlight! If you think it's enough, you're wrong!

- Shading and color balance can provide illusion of height, especially for giants and large creatures.

- Ignoring small details could hurt your score.

- Mold lines, they are your enemy, deal with them.

People/Social:

- You can entice people with food or drinks or both!

- How to approach the artists. I'm always in awe of their abilities and don't know how to speak/ask questions. So I kind of just linger around ogling their creations.

- Plans for transportation.

- It's cold when the blankets are stolen. T__T

Events:

- Garden gloves instead of latex gloves for the melt table.

- "Speed painting" and "Sophie Says" do occur, just need to be fast to obtain a seat.

• Like 9

Painting:

- Shading and color balance can provide illusion of height, especially for giants and large creatures.

People/Social:

- How to approach the artists. I'm always in awe of their abilities and don't know how to speak/ask questions. So I kind of just linger around ogling their creations.

Events:

- "Speed painting" and "Sophie Says" do occur, just need to be fast to obtain a seat.

- If you think your highlights are Good Enough, go another step up.

- Prime the mini, take pictures as close as possible at highest resolution from all angles, and really look at it, then go browse for pictures on how others painted the mini so much better than you ever could. Bake some brownies, because now you're depressed you'll never be that good. Drink coffee with the brownies. Sit down and work out your color palette in Photoshop. Start laying out your color palette. Crud, it's 1:00 am and you have to get up in four hours for work. Cover palette and go to bed. There's always tomorrow.

- Next day, find mold lines. Spend all week obsessing about cleaning them ALL off. Dunk in Simple Green.

- Bring your own Blanket. ^_^

- And pillow. You never know.

- And a plushie friend. You do know.

• Like 9

Painting:

People/Social:

Events:

- Prime the mini, take pictures as close as possible at highest resolution from all angles, and really look at it, then go browse for pictures on how others painted the mini so much better than you ever could. Bake some brownies, because now you're depressed you'll never be that good. Drink coffee with the brownies. Sit down and work out your color palette in Photoshop. Start laying out your color palette. Crud, it's 1:00 am and you have to get up in four hours for work. Cover palette and go to bed. There's always tomorrow.

- Next day, find mold lines. Spend all week obsessing about cleaning them ALL off. Dunk in Simple Green.

My platypus plushie was sitting on my desk. Along with a few other items I forgot to pack. T__T

• Like 7

Painting:

People/Social:

Events:

My platypus plushie was sitting on my desk. Along with a few other items I forgot to pack. T__T

D'oh! Poor Platy!

• Like 3

that you should occasionally shade all the direct light off your figure to check your artificial shadows and highlights rather than real ones.

-While sleep may be for the weak, not getting at least sort of enough will ensure that you won't remember a darn thing from the classes you take on the last day. So, if you end up in this situation, take lots of notes so you can learn later what you learned in class. :lol:

-ReaperCon withdrawal is a thing

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

The Dreams!

I had weird dreams the following days about the Con. The sort where I was sculpting a well with some grey putty (just like the Sculpey one in the sculpting board) while at the tables; then we had to pack up to leave and someone took my grey putty sculpture by accident.

As I indicate to this person that they took my stuff, I then wake up in real life in the middle of the night, and am confused for a few moments as I don't immediately recognize the room and wonder if someone really took my well only to remember that no one took anything, that I haven't ever sculpted something like that, and that I'm back home/work. ReaperCon... is over. :down:

• Like 8

that you should occasionally shade all the direct light off your figure to check your artificial shadows and highlights rather than real ones.

This is why at home I have two floor lamps with reading lights, one behind each shoulder, so that I can lean left or right to make sure my highlights/shadows are not just awesome shading and highlighting from the light. ^_^

I wasn't at ReaperCon this year either, but I can share a few things I learned last year!

-Blending is both an art and a science! Kuro helped me with the science part (do a youtube search for Kuro Cleanbrush blending for his awesome tutorial!)

-The most paint is left where the brush leaves the mini. I'd noticed this before, but not consciously, and had never attempted to use this as a technique before

-Ribbons are teh awesome

-While sleep may be for the weak, not getting at least sort of enough will ensure that you won't remember a darn thing from the classes you take on the last day. So, if you end up in this situation, take lots of notes so you can learn later what you learned in class. :lol:

-Drunk painting shenanigans are hilarious to observe

-TALK TO MORE ARTISTS!!! Seriously! Me and a couple other people got a 30 minute impromptu marble tutorial from James Wappel himself just because we happened to be nearby when he started explaining it to one person. It was amaaaaaazing ::o:

-Unless you only have a couple very minor details to tidy up, DON't try to finish your entry while at the con. It will result in less time spent enjoying the con itself

-Bring paints, exacto knife and superglue if you can; even if you don't need them, somebody else inevitably will, and it's nice to be able to offer a needed item ^_^

-Portable battery-powered Ottlite is a great investment

-It doesn't matter how much spending money you budget: you will need more.  :blink:

-Reaperites are the BESTEST!!! :wub:

Huzzah!

Drunk painting shenanigans? I missed this... must enable and participate in an after hours speed paint. 

And yes, the after con withdrawal is real. :down:

• Like 8

That was last year, David. As far as I can tell, it did not occur this year.

Hey, that's when we determined that you are genetically predisposed to rum, Mori to tequila and me to well, everything.  Oh and tequila makes Chaos Wolf's cloths fall off.

Just for clarification; that did not happen at the 'con.

It was a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

I learned:

Not to bring stuff to do in the evening, 'cause I'm just going to go to the fire pit and drink Dilvish's rum.

Rental cars are handy, but are pieces of crap and really expensive. This also reinforced that I really hate automatics.

I should "Hang out" on the Reaper forums and I needed a new account with a better name.

Jessica Rich is an awesome teacher and I can't wait to start adding more freehand and portraiture to my figs.

I've learned that fluids, translucent fabric and NMM aren't as hard as I've been making them out to be and I just need to practice.

8 classes (9 sessions) is considered a lot by pretty much everyone (though I was fine with it). I think I'll only take 7 next time... but that's just so I can do some social painting. 

My husband's glasses and mine look the same ... but are VERY different! I now have cool leopard readers which should fix that confusion.

Yes, you should!! Welcome to the asylum. :upside:

Thanks for the lifts, too!

Edit---ooops, forgot what I learned:

--I need to work on my shading/highlights a lot more

--drybrushing has it's uses, but don't overdo it

--I'm actually a little better at sculpting than I thought (based on a sculptor's comments on my Colossal Skeleton)

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 9

That was last year, David. As far as I can tell, it did not occur this year.

Hey, that's when we determined that you are genetically predisposed to rum, Mori to tequila and me to well, everything.  Oh and tequila makes Chaos Wolf's cloths fall off.

Just for clarification; that did not happen at the 'con.

It was a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

I learned:

Yes, you should!! Welcome to the asylum. :upside:

Thanks for the lifts, too!

Only because we didn't have tequila. There is always next year.
  • Like 6

Huzzah!

The Dreams!

I had weird dreams the following days about the Con. The sort where I was sculpting a well with some grey putty (just like the Sculpey one in the sculpting board) while at the tables; then we had to pack up to leave and someone took my grey putty sculpture by accident.

As I indicate to this person that they took my stuff, I then wake up in real life in the middle of the night, and am confused for a few moments as I don't immediately recognize the room and wonder if someone really took my well only to remember that no one took anything, that I haven't ever sculpted something like that, and that I'm back home/work. ReaperCon... is over. :down:

I had two Con dreams. 

the first was before I left - I missed my Flight and was standing in the airport arguing with the woman behind the counter - they had a flight that left 4 hours later (I would miss both my classes) or a bus (which would take 12 hours)- I looked at her carefully and said "Your a dream aren't you? I am just going to wake up rather than deal with you."   So I did.  - This isn't the first time I have had this reaction to a dream.  

A second dream I had was creating a diorama of a rocky snow covered scene, with Space Marine figures in gold armor carrying torches.  It was an amazing diorama and I was having a lot of fun.  but why would space marines be sculpted with torches? 

• Like 6

Huzzah!

The Dreams!

I had two Con dreams. 

the first was before I left - I missed my Flight and was standing in the airport arguing with the woman behind the counter - they had a flight that left 4 hours later (I would miss both my classes) or a bus (which would take 12 hours)- I looked at her carefully and said "Your a dream aren't you? I am just going to wake up rather than deal with you."   So I did.  - This isn't the first time I have had this reaction to a dream.  

A second dream I had was creating a diorama of a rocky snow covered scene, with Space Marine figures in gold armor carrying torches.  It was an amazing diorama and I was having a lot of fun.  but why would space marines be sculpted with torches?

Rule of cool?
  • Like 6