Feedback about ReaperCon '16

GuyWithCoolBackpack

That was last year, David. As far as I can tell, it did not occur this year.

Hey, that's when we determined that you are genetically predisposed to rum, Mori to tequila and me to well, everything.  Oh and tequila makes Chaos Wolf's cloths fall off.

Just for clarification; that did not happen at the 'con.

It was a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

I learned:

Not to bring stuff to do in the evening, 'cause I'm just going to go to the fire pit and drink Dilvish's rum.

Rental cars are handy, but are pieces of crap and really expensive. This also reinforced that I really hate automatics.

Sleeping is overrated, I'll have to catch up at home.

I should take Monday off too so I don't miss the Auction.

The light produced by my travel lamp is useless in the convention center.

I should "Hang out" on the Reaper forums and I needed a new account with a better name.

Jessica Rich is an awesome teacher and I can't wait to start adding more freehand and portraiture to my figs.

I've learned that fluids, translucent fabric and NMM aren't as hard as I've been making them out to be and I just need to practice.

My blending needs more work :(

Sculpting little itty bitty faces is HARD... but I'll be practicing...

8 classes (9 sessions) is considered a lot by pretty much everyone (though I was fine with it). I think I'll only take 7 next time... but that's just so I can do some social painting. 

I need to spend more time on basing and display (borrrring)

My husband's glasses and mine look the same ... but are VERY different! I now have cool leopard readers which should fix that confusion.

I'll be back next year...and I'll be starting the contest pieces tomorrow.

Yes, you should!! Welcome to the asylum. :upside:

Thanks for the lifts, too!

Only because we didn't have tequila. There is always next year.

Um....NO.

• Like 6

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm...  lets see.

Hobby related:

How to sculpt a face. It looks like a blob with rough shapes for like 1.5 hours and then, BLAM!!, last 5 mins it turns into a face.

Licking your brush while painting with 2 brushes is a killer blending technique that just clicked for me.

The RMS clear brights are the colors of the rainbow in a bottle.

When it comes time to base your figure and your bored and just want to move on, it's ok to put your figure to the side and base it later and do a good job when you have the energy for it. And that a base can serve the same purpous as a picture frame. It should give a good presentation for your figure.

People related :  "There is too much, let me sum up."

If you don't want your girlfriend to know that when you say your going out with the guys to get wings, you and the guys are going to Hooters, don't eat at the Hooters where they are filming live on-air commercials. Ask Delvish.....

Knarthex actually has the stature of an elf.

All my forum friends may not sit on the "artist" side of the tables, those tables have two sides, so really they do.

Logistics related :

I really need to assemble a travel size set of paints.

Secure the van for the duration of ReaperCon. It was nice to have room for more folks than can fit in the car.

And other stuff

• Like 9

hmmm...  lets see.

Logistics related :

Secure the van for the duration of ReaperCon. It was nice to have room for more folks than can fit in the car.

And other stuff

For the travel size set of paints, the guys who made the paint racks (their name escapes me) had a prototype in the back that held about a hundred tiny bottles.

When it hits the market, it will come with those tiny bottles, and they would be the ideal travel size!

Sure it will be a pain to transfer the paints (though less than from pot to bottle), but you'd have plenty enough paint for a convention and it would require less than a foot square of area space.

Let's just say that I was *very* interested in that particular product.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 7

hmmm...  lets see.

Logistics related :

And other stuff

For the travel size set of paints, the guys who made the paint racks (there name escapes me) had a prototype in the back that held about a hundred tiny bottles.

When it hits the market, it will come with those tiny bottles, and they would be the ideal travel size!

Sure it will be a pain to transfer the paints (though less than from pot to bottle), but you'd have plenty enough paint for a convention and it would require less than a foot square of area space.

Do you mean the Impudent paint rack makers, you mere Mortal? If so, I like the idea of the carrying case they have, especially for the eyedropper bottles and carries 64 at a time with a lid.

• Like 2

hmmm...  lets see.

Logistics related :

And other stuff

For the travel size set of paints, the guys who made the paint racks (there name escapes me) had a prototype in the back that held about a hundred tiny bottles.

Do you mean the Impudent paint rack makers, you mere Mortal? If so, I like the idea of the carrying case they have, especially for the eyedropper bottles and carries 64 at a time with a lid.

the guy at the con was from NEWay Designs (pronounced Anyway). I sat and talked with him for a while. The mini dropper bottle rack resulted from him having a few extended layovers in airports where he was like "I could have been painting for 4 hours!". But the rub was that per TSA rules you can only carry liquids in bottles 2oz or smaller and they all have to fit in a quart sized Ziploc bag. So he looked into a source for the most cost effective little bottles (not sure the size but I think they were like 5-10mlo bottles) and figured that he could fit 100+ in a bag. Then he made the rack.
  • Like 12

<snip>

A second dream I had was creating a diorama of a rocky snow covered scene, with Space Marine figures in gold armor carrying torches.  It was an amazing diorama and I was having a lot of fun.  but why would space marines be sculpted with torches? 

This sounds really cool... ::o:

Things I learned:

Pay more attention to light. The highlights on the top of the head should be brighter than the highlights on the barbarian's abs.

Don't let people introduce you to artists you admire when you're ridiculously overtired and prone to incoherent fangirl babbling. :down: 

You're almost certainly a better painter than you think you are.

Enter your work in the contest!

The people are even nicer than they seemed online.

Talk to the artists. Seriously, they're lovely people. (Just maybe not when you're ridiculously overtired and know you're going to awkwardly fangirl at them.)

Julie Guthrie is excited by the Ma'al challenge. :blink: 

Everyone is welcome.

Actually, that last point deserves to be spelled out again:

Everyone is welcome.

Con hangover really is a real thing.

8 classes is entirely doable but you won't have time for all the other stuff, like factory tours and social painting and stuff.

You should make sure your wet palette is watertight before throwing it in your bag and letting it leak all over everything. :down: 

Watching a bunch of amazing and wonderful people win prizes for their awesome work is just ridiculously fun.

Go up to people and talk to them. Every group of people I talked to were super welcoming and friendly.

• Like 10

Most will empty and ensure that their wet pallets are dry before travel. We should post it for future reference.

This is exactly what I did before I left. Completely dry before I left home.

My plan was to moisten my wet palette at the hotel and complete with faucet water once at the Con.

• Like 2

Most will empty and ensure that their wet pallets are dry before travel. We should post it for future reference.

Oh yes, I did that! I just forgot during the con. Got home on Thursday night and discovered that I'd soaked a good part of the mixed-media art/sketch book I'd brought, some of my clothes, some notes, etc. :down::lol: 

Reflections:

• For my first ReaperCon, I had a blast!
  • Regarding the venue, I agree on the issues of sound/noise level, also gaming needs more space.
  • During the active gaming it became hard to hear our GM, or manuever between the spaces. 
  • Two of my classes it was hard to hear our teacher between the noise from the gaming, vendors and other classrooms. 
  • (Some insulation foam on the walls of the classrooms may help there.) 
  • Also the PA system was very good if you were in front of the area, Reaper store or contest area,or in the open paint tables. but if you were in the vendor or gaming section, it became indistinct noise.
  • I think it would just take 1 or 2 more speakers being put in a different direction would help.
  • The ladies running the Reaper store deserve a medal for all the questions, assistance and customer service they provided over the weekend, especially when there were those of us Noobs asking lots of questions or needing lots of help.
  • MSP Open paints was handy to help finish my art entry.

Suggestions for next year:

• ...snip...
  • Move the art entry contest submission end time be half hour after the last class Friday. (This way people can apply info they learn during their classes to their entry. :)
  • ...snip...

I'll speak to this point as a member of the MSP Open Crew (Assistant Director as it were, Michael is the Director). Experience has taught us that 5pm is the latest time we can accept entries. Judging sheets have to be prepared and all the entries must be on those sheets (fair warning don't come over and talk to Debbie while she is doing this), Debbie, Mengu, Mona and I spent our dinner time working on creating the sheets.  The judging teams (there were 4 this year) are handed out their assignments and given last minute instructions. Judging took approximately three hours and we started right after dinner. Once the judges have hand recorded their scores those scores have to be entered into the system to calculate the medals. While we try to give each team approximately the same number of entries to judge some teams do take longer than others which mean the entry of scores can take a long time. We (well Debbie and Mengu) finished entering the scores at 1am Saturday morning. So sorry, extending the deadline is just not going to happen. In fact just this year I told one of the artists (okay I told Michael to do it, but to be fair he said yes, and I vetoed him after the fact) that I would not except their entry after 5pm either.

I suppose if some one was to cough up the funds for tablets and software we could shorten the scoring process considerably.

Ah.. that explains it, I heard that there was an issue with a FireFox update messing up the printing process. Thanks again for all of your hardwork

• Like 3

Thanks for the info Heisler! I was going to guess it was something like that, good to know my brain's figuring out how these things work... ::P: 

Dunno if this is a suggestion for forumites or for you folks, but it would be nice to see some of these sorts of answers collected somewhere. Some of the non-obvious stuff, like why the 5pm deadline, or why can't we do a large communal project and donate it to Reaper (considering we've seen it suggested at least twice this year!), 

As for tablets and software... I can't help much on the tablets, but if you were really interested, I'm sure some of us tech nerd forumites could help come up with the software. Realistically, it's a pretty straightforward data-entry tool. It'd take a bit of time and testing to develop, but we have (most of) a year to do it and a lot of professional nerds... ::P: And we'd be putting the source code up online, so it'd even help some of the want-to-be-professional nerds build their resumes because they'd have an open-source project they could contribute to. I'm assuming we'd build it as a web site, so judges would be able to log in with their own phone, tablet, or laptop, and then you'd probably need one or two spares for judges who don't have a phone or tablet of their own to use.

Anyway. Let us know if this is something you'd actually be able to use next year (assuming that we clear technical requirements with Bryan) and I'll see if I can wrangle some folks to help design & build it. Or if there's already an open-source tool that does some of what you need but would need tweaks, that'd be even better... ::):

• Like 7