Feedback about ReaperCon '16

GuyWithCoolBackpack

I plan on a much more lengthy reply later of my personal critique, but my wife really wished that the beginner paint class was two classes long. She barely did the fur cape and the beard of the dwarf given. I did speed paint with her at the paint and take, but that was just us "goofing" around.

• Like 4

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your first year it's "man I only got one class I wanted". Your second year it's "woohoo I got 3 on my list!" etc.

The big question to ask then, is how many first year people come back?

Every single person I talked to as a first timer said they are coming back.

I said that, too, at my first R-con (2007). Sadly, I haven't been back since. Now, in my case, it had nothing to do with registration woes, and everything to do with timing, family and/or finances. But given the expense of attending, I can definitely see some people deciding it isn't worth it if they have no shot at the classes they want.

So I think it would be interesting and informative to poll people who've only been to one R-con, and find out why they haven't made it back. Hopefully, most are like me - they want to, and they keep telling themselves "Next year will be the year I go again." But if a significant number said it was because "I didn't get the classes I wanted", then maybe a change should be made. 

• Like 4

About the community project: We proposed something similar before the con and were told that space is very limited at the con and even more so at HQ afterwards. We might be able to wrangle some space for a community project but it would almost certainly have to be something where people knew that they'd need to pick up their contribution before the end of the con or it would be thrown in the garbage afterwards - or possibly claimed by random passersby - and not stored at Reaper. Also worth considering is that a community project would certainly see a significant amount of traffic as people came and added to it, or checked out the items already present. We'd see congestion and noise anywhere near the community project, which means it would be unwelcome near the classrooms and could cause headaches at the paint-and-take tables and gaming tables.

Not to say that we shouldn't try to make it work! Just sharing some possible problems that would need to be taken into account. ::): 

• Like 6

At chess exhibitions there will be a long table setup where unrated players sit on one side and a chessmaster walks along the other side...

The artists table is sorta like that. Sorta.

I wonder if something like that chess setup would be a useful idea (but a gold level+ painter, or two, on one side and the newer painters opposite),

• Like 1

About the community project: We proposed something similar before the con and were told that space is very limited at the con and even more so at HQ afterwards. We might be able to wrangle some space for a community project but it would almost certainly have to be something where people knew that they'd need to pick up their contribution before the end of the con or it would be thrown in the garbage afterwards - or possibly claimed by random passersby - and not stored at Reaper. Also worth considering is that a community project would certainly see a significant amount of traffic as people came and added to it, or checked out the items already present. We'd see congestion and noise anywhere near the community project, which means it would be unwelcome near the classrooms and could cause headaches at the paint-and-take tables and gaming tables.

Not to say that we shouldn't try to make it work! Just sharing some possible problems that would need to be taken into account. ::):

With the seating arrangement we had, we might have been able to commandeer a table and improvise something.

• Like 2

On food I can not comment on the food truck since I never had to use it.  Rudy's is good but I have had my fair share of it here. El Fenix I have never really enjoyed but the spinach enchilada I had was not bad.  The meal Saturday was awesome but not long after finishing my plate I had a scratchy throat and runny nose and just felt off.  There was something in it that my body did not like and I have no clue what it could have been.  If it were the mac n cheese I will spend the rest of my days crying in a corner. Hoping it was just some spice they used that I had a mild reaction to.

• Like 1

I'm easily forgettable.

Most people I recognize due to Hangouts, Facebook posts, or having met them before (looks at haldir who in no way looks like his avatar).

I'm not sure who was worse, Haldir or Ub3r....

I know on the bingo cards allot of people were "You're Haldir?" & would be happy to mark me off it. ::):

• Like 7

I'm not sure any of you tried, I'm sure some did.  The instructors are very approachable when they are at their chairs and they can help you on questions about your classes.  If you tell them you didn't make it in to a class they will more than likely give you a handout they used.  I would think most of them would even give you some other direction.  They are all very helpful and they like questions.  They are their for you, to talk too. You shouldn't be afraid you might bother them.  The know not every one can make it to a class.  If they can't get you the help you need they probably can direct you to someone open painting that could help you.  This is just my thoughts based on what I have encountered over the course of many ReaperCons. 

• Like 7

I'm not sure any of you tried, I'm sure some did. The instructors are very approachable when they are at their chairs and they can help you on questions about your classes. If you tell them you didn't make it in to a class they will more than likely give you a handout they used. I would think most of them would even give you some other direction. They are all very helpful and they like questions. They are their for you, to talk too. You shouldn't be afraid you might bother them. The know not every one can make it to a class. If they can't get you the help you need they probably can direct you to someone open painting that could help you. This is just my thoughts based on what I have encountered over the course of many ReaperCons.

^^^This^^^

I couldn't imagine what it'd be like sitting at the Artist Table and feeling like I'm on display. I, for one, would much rather people sat down and asked questions and chatted with me rather than fangirl/boying over me.

Remember, they're regular folks who started out much like we did. ^_^

• Like 5

My thoughts echo much of what was already said, but here they are again in case someones keeping count. ;)

1. As always, loved ReaperCon.  I learned a ton from the instructors and had a great time.
  2. Vendors were great, respectful, fun, informative and had great products.
  3. the instructors were amazing.  Always so friendly and willing to help and talk to you whenever they can.  This is a huge win for me.
  4. Reaper booth was great - even managed to get something for me from the factory!
  5. The raffles were a ton of fun!
  6. Food was top notch.  I loved not having to worry about breakfasts (HGI had free breakfast tickets) and dinners!
  7. the factions and points was a bunch of fun.
  8. the swag bag was top notch.

Some constructive things:

1. Although I drove so I could leave whenever I wanted, I felt _really_ bad for the people who had to take the shuttle.  Half the fun was staying as late as possible, even if it was just chatting with folks or artists.  Hotels and venue should be super close or connected if at all possible.  I have REALLY high hopes for the Denton Convention Center!!! http://www.dentonrc.com/local-news/local-news-headlines/20160606-denton-convention-center-work-progresses.ece
  2. Related to #1, there is great fun to be had conversing after hours and I although there was good times to be had at the HGI after 11pm, I wish the con would have stayed open later.  Painting till 2am is something I would have enjoyed, especially doing things like off-the-wall painting challenges with folks staying up late.
  3. You couldn't hear the announcements behind the main stage.
  4. Another really big thing that has been mentioned before is the need for more painter events.  For folks not in class, shopping (or out of cash!) and not playing games, there wasn't much to do.  Speed paints, Sophie Says, challenge Paints, demos, airbrush stations, and whatever other fun painting event us creative folks can think up would have been fun. 
  5. Food trucks are awesome, but would have liked to see one more with different variety.  would have helped with crowds too.
  6. Love the idea of names on badges if you want to put yours on it.  Forum name and name.

ReaperCon is a great time and I'll be back again next year for sure!  I can only see even more greatness in the future.

• Like 9

So.. um. I didn't make it to the con, but I did snag a bag o' swag, and I thought I should share a thought I had about that.

This is AWESOME, and I want to say that first, because it is and it deserves it. I'm quite pleased with my goodies and the bag they came in and I am pleased as punch that I could get my hands on one.

There is only (in my opinion) one way to make this bag better, and that is to make it out of canvas or some other durable material. I approve of the recycled bagstuff, but I have found it to be flimsy and not hold up well over time. It also doesn't always wash well, and a bag around here suffers trips through the washing machine as needed and does need to hold up under that.

Either way, I hope Reaper will keep making the bags available; I got the impression I wasn't the only one over the moon with being able to get one, even though I couldn't make it to Reaper Con.

• Like 5

/hides her 2015 Reaper Con bag.

I had stuck my nose up at it initially because it was hard to put a lot of the things I carry for paint and takes in it. (I can't fit the small paint carrying case in it for example) "Mrs. M, there's a handle on it, why put it in a bag?"

My fingers get tired okay!

However, that bag is wicked durable. If it weren't packed away in a box, it would have come with me to Rcon this year. I do like the new bags but they're like those grocery bags that you buy for 1.00 so you help the planet. (The Reaper ones this year are much much much nicer though) I like the pockets on the side but I wouldn't want to put like sculpting tools, scissors, brushes, metal models or anything that may tear it.

Its fine for carrying books though or gaming mats.

Since this is the third sort of bag changr, I think Reaper is still learning what works so its not a big deal if this year the bags weren't as amazing as last year and etc.

• Like 7