Feedback about ReaperCon '16

GuyWithCoolBackpack

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone interested in the competition should take time to talk with Kris/Heisler at the Con, even if he wasn't one of your judges. His advice is still some of the best and most relevant I've gotten, especially for dioramas (of course, I haven't gotten one past the planning phase yet...)

• Like 9

Though I didn't go, I learned:

1. I'm totally jealous of those who went.
  2. You never know until you ask... DON'T ASSUME!
  3. Reaperites and ReaperPeeps are THE BEST EVER PEOPLE EVER IN THE HISTORY OF FOREVER! (times infinity)
  4. That I need to do whatever it takes to go next year, even if it means working my backside off.
  5. That I need to enter the competition next year.
  6. Read the contest rules over and over, and keep a list handy.
  7. Ask for constructive feedback on EVERYTHING.
  8. Paint more.
  • Like 9

RE: The Bag

The plastic snap on the pocket of mine was broken when it arrived. I'll be replacing it with a metal one, because I'm crafty that way and not a huge deal, but those plastic snaps don't last very long at all. I'd rather no snap (or velcro) over a plastic one.

• Like 4

I learned not to shade either black or white with grey. 

I learned that I can get into a zone where I can feel how thin to make a perfect glaze, but it doesn't happen instantly. 

I learned my best detail brush was Rhonda's least satisfactory one (of the 5 she though worth testing.)  It can do details, but is inconstant compared to others.  I bought a new brush. 

that you should occasionally shade all the direct light off your figure to check your artificial shadows and highlights rather than real ones.

I am not going to try to paint linen texture - but maybe I can do wool and fur garments. 

I am better at painting than I think, I have come a long way, but I have a lot further that I want to go. 

I learned that everyone at ReaperCon was very welcoming, that all I had to do was to grab an open chair and start talking, painting or playing .

- but that it was still hard to overcome my introversion. 

There are a lot of active Colorado painters that need to be convinced to come to CMPA meetings. Third Saturdays in Total Escape Games - Broomfield.  Yes I know its a long way for some, but up to 6 hours of painting & conversation?  cant be beat. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 9

Regarding new skills I learned that....

... my blending and coverage is better than I thought it was.  Happy day!

... I have zero technique regarding light source (though the judges put it much nicer) so that is going to be my biggest area to research and improve.

... when using natural materials for basing, you should still put paint on them!  Thanks Heisler for that tip, because it came up as a positive when I spoke to judges.

Life lessons & 'Con people I learned that ...

... it didn't kill me to show Jason Wiebe what I did to his sculpt, no matter how nervous I was.  Likewise talking to the amazing judges.

... yes, Morihalda is really that cute IRL - and I mean personality-wise as well as looks.

... NO, her awesome husband is not entirely quiet and sweet.  He can get positively evil during adult card games.

... Ub3rnerd is really fastidious for a barbarian.

... Sailors have the best stories (thanks Dilvish & Chaoswolf)

*scrunches nose*  ::P:  ::P:  ::P:

Yeah, my little Slytherin can be an evil one once he gets comfortable! :lol:

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 9

I wasn't there this year, but the one thing I picked up from all the RCons I've attended, above any specific technique is this; if you want to be good at painting or sculpting you have to paint and sculpt. Lots. There is a magic bullet, and that magic bullet is practice. 

• Like 10

Things I learned -

- Blending, Blending, Blending... Glazing, more blending! <sigh>

- Most of your problems when leveling up further are mental

- HIGHER HIGHLIGHTS, DEEPER SHADOWS

- Everyone is crazy (especially David and Mori)....

- Knarthex is a really good cook

- Composition! 

- DON'T LOSE THE MIDTONE!

- Lots of out of context snippets (especially from Adrift) might have scarred me, permanently :blink: .

- Y'all are all very nice

- Take Critique well it's good for improvement! 

- I can do lighting well I understand that, but color theory not as much...

- Next time I want to stay at HGI, I only hear about the fun stuff that goes on  :down:

Edited by Tarsemina
  • Like 10

Things I learned -

- Blending, Blending, Blending... Glazing, more blending! <sigh>

- Most of your problems when leveling up further are mental

- HIGHER HIGHLIGHTS, DEEPER SHADOWS

- Everyone is crazy (especially David and Mori)....

- Knarthex is a really good cook

- Composition! 

- DON'T LOSE THE MIDTONE!

- Lots of out of context snippets (especially from Adrift) might have scarred me, permanently :blink: .

- Y'all are all very nice

- Take Critique well it's good for improvement! 

- I can do lighting well I understand that, but color theory not as much...

- Next time I want to stay at HGI, I only hear about the fun stuff that goes on  :down:

Yes.

Yes.

Ye...Wait... what?  :rock::upside:::P:

• Like 9

The painting things ill go over later, however at some point, I threw away the new files I bought.

I learned to not do that.

Also, 3 drinks are good. 4 or more is fine when I don't have class the next morning.

Did the squid bite you????

more later....

Not that her husband knows about...

:blink:

• Like 8