Feedback about ReaperCon '16

GuyWithCoolBackpack

What I learned:

Classes:

- Painting Fleur de lis for 2 hours is not as boring as I thought it was going to be

- Weathering is fun and the size of what you are working on should influence the technique you use (subtractive vs additive)

- SW's Exhaust Black pigment is magnetic

- Textures are not as I hard as I thought

- A lot depends on having the right brush

- Glazes are your friend, especially when adding color to skin

- Matt DiPietro's Sketch Style is insanely quick once you get the hang of it

Competition:

- Watch your basing, even entries for the Painter's category

- Make sure cork bases are not "corky"

- If you use a color in one area, use it elsewhere as well

- 360° views are important for dioramas

- Get scores before talking to judges (I got the names of the judges but ended up not talking to the ones I should have)

• Like 10

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reflections:

• For my first ReaperCon, I had a blast!
  • Regarding the venue, I agree on the issues of sound/noise level, also gaming needs more space.
  • During the active gaming it became hard to hear our GM, or manuever between the spaces. 
  • Two of my classes it was hard to hear our teacher between the noise from the gaming, vendors and other classrooms. 
  • (Some insulation foam on the walls of the classrooms may help there.) 
  • Also the PA system was very good if you were in front of the area, Reaper store or contest area,or in the open paint tables. but if you were in the vendor or gaming section, it became indistinct noise.
  • I think it would just take 1 or 2 more speakers being put in a different direction would help.
  • The ladies running the Reaper store deserve a medal for all the questions, assistance and customer service they provided over the weekend, especially when there were those of us Noobs asking lots of questions or needing lots of help.
  • MSP Open paints was handy to help finish my art entry.

Suggestions for next year:

• Maybe have some brush kits for people who might be participating in classes for the 1st time?
  • Gaming- could we have some figure kits for monsters we might encounter in the DnD games that are part of the official ReaperCon game scenario? (grumpkins, hag'o'lanterns...). Maybe a check list so we can pre-order any that we want to help paint?
  • Also could you have a few classes that were only available for signing up at the event?  This would be useful for people who do not know what classes to take until they arrive or dont join soon enough to get into the classes online (I was got lucky Reaper Brian told me about some new class slots while in line for dinner Thurs and I was able to do Friday classes -thanks Reaper Bryan!)
  • On the website, maybe add a  1st timer's guide of Tips and Tricks for ReaperCon. (Including parts about the importance of Reaper shirts, and costumes for Reaper bucks, how the art contest is really against yourself, badge ribbons, etc!)
  • A photo and name guide of the main people running ReaperCon that year. (Sorry again Reaper Ron!)
  • Move the art entry contest submission end time be half hour after the last class Friday. (This way people can apply info they learn during their classes to their entry. :)
  • Maybe have some classes occur twice but on different days?
  • Maybe move the gaming to be closer to concessions area. –Gaming always requires drinks and snacks :)
  • Any chance that we could pre-purchase Reaper hats?
Edited by RomulanCmdr
  • Like 5

I learned:

Not to bring stuff to do in the evening, 'cause I'm just going to go to the fire pit and drink Dilvish's rum.

Rental cars are handy, but are pieces of crap and really expensive. This also reinforced that I really hate automatics.

Sleeping is overrated, I'll have to catch up at home.

I should take Monday off too so I don't miss the Auction.

The light produced by my travel lamp is useless in the convention center.

I should "Hang out" on the Reaper forums and I needed a new account with a better name.

Jessica Rich is an awesome teacher and I can't wait to start adding more freehand and portraiture to my figs.

I've learned that fluids, translucent fabric and NMM aren't as hard as I've been making them out to be and I just need to practice.

My blending needs more work :(

Sculpting little itty bitty faces is HARD... but I'll be practicing...

8 classes (9 sessions) is considered a lot by pretty much everyone (though I was fine with it). I think I'll only take 7 next time... but that's just so I can do some social painting. 

I need to spend more time on basing and display (borrrring)

My husband's glasses and mine look the same ... but are VERY different! I now have cool leopard readers which should fix that confusion.

I'll be back next year...and I'll be starting the contest pieces tomorrow.

• Like 13

I learned:

Not to bring stuff to do in the evening, 'cause I'm just going to go to the fire pit and drink Dilvish's rum.

Rental cars are handy, but are pieces of crap and really expensive. This also reinforced that I really hate automatics.

Sleeping is overrated, I'll have to catch up at home.

I should take Monday off too so I don't miss the Auction.

The light produced by my travel lamp is useless in the convention center.

I should "Hang out" on the Reaper forums and I needed a new account with a better name.

Jessica Rich is an awesome teacher and I can't wait to start adding more freehand and portraiture to my figs.

I've learned that fluids, translucent fabric and NMM aren't as hard as I've been making them out to be and I just need to practice.

My blending needs more work :(

Sculpting little itty bitty faces is HARD... but I'll be practicing...

8 classes (9 sessions) is considered a lot by pretty much everyone (though I was fine with it). I think I'll only take 7 next time... but that's just so I can do some social painting. 

I need to spend more time on basing and display (borrrring)

My husband's glasses and mine look the same ... but are VERY different! I now have cool leopard readers which should fix that confusion.

I'll be back next year...and I'll be starting the contest pieces tomorrow.

Well, the rides were still appreciated!!

• Like 5

• Maybe move the gaming to be closer to concessions area. –Gaming always requires drinks and snacks :)

There were one or two classes that did have multiple sessions, but mostly some of the sculpting and convert ones I think.

Maybe if the classes were all moved together on one side and the games to the other, with the vendors and open area between them, it might help the noise level.

• Like 4

<p>

• Maybe move the gaming to be closer to concessions area. –Gaming always requires drinks and snacks :)

There were one or two classes that did have multiple sessions, but mostly some of the sculpting and convert ones I think.

Maybe if the classes were all moved together on one side and the games to the other, with the vendors and open area between them, it might help the noise level.

Hazarding some guesses here: the classrooms may have been arranged along opposite walls because many of them required electrical outlets.

The main 'ballroom' table zone was a higher priority item to put near the food serve & concession area due to the dinners.

• Like 2

Reflections:

• For my first ReaperCon, I had a blast!
  • Regarding the venue, I agree on the issues of sound/noise level, also gaming needs more space.
  • During the active gaming it became hard to hear our GM, or manuever between the spaces. 
  • Two of my classes it was hard to hear our teacher between the noise from the gaming, vendors and other classrooms. 
  • (Some insulation foam on the walls of the classrooms may help there.) 
  • Also the PA system was very good if you were in front of the area, Reaper store or contest area,or in the open paint tables. but if you were in the vendor or gaming section, it became indistinct noise.
  • I think it would just take 1 or 2 more speakers being put in a different direction would help.
  • The ladies running the Reaper store deserve a medal for all the questions, assistance and customer service they provided over the weekend, especially when there were those of us Noobs asking lots of questions or needing lots of help.
  • MSP Open paints was handy to help finish my art entry.

• ...snip...
  • Move the art entry contest submission end time be half hour after the last class Friday. (This way people can apply info they learn during their classes to their entry. :)
  • ...snip...

I'll speak to this point as a member of the MSP Open Crew (Assistant Director as it were, Michael is the Director). Experience has taught us that 5pm is the latest time we can accept entries. Judging sheets have to be prepared and all the entries must be on those sheets (fair warning don't come over and talk to Debbie while she is doing this), Debbie, Mengu, Mona and I spent our dinner time working on creating the sheets.  The judging teams (there were 4 this year) are handed out their assignments and given last minute instructions. Judging took approximately three hours and we started right after dinner. Once the judges have hand recorded their scores those scores have to be entered into the system to calculate the medals. While we try to give each team approximately the same number of entries to judge some teams do take longer than others which mean the entry of scores can take a long time. We (well Debbie and Mengu) finished entering the scores at 1am Saturday morning. So sorry, extending the deadline is just not going to happen. In fact just this year I told one of the artists (okay I told Michael to do it, but to be fair he said yes, and I vetoed him after the fact) that I would not except their entry after 5pm either.

I suppose if some one was to cough up the funds for tablets and software we could shorten the scoring process considerably.

• Like 8

Seriously, though...

Take the amount of time I'm planning for something, and double it.

I like portraiture.

I think I finally got the hang of sculpting 28mm faces.

Playing as a goblin in Pathfinder rules.

Painting rust is a slow, cool, methodical process.

If there's nobody present to weigh your stuff at the factory, don't weigh it yourself, or Reaper Ed will yell at you.

• Like 9

Alright, I'm at a computer now. 

So Classes, what I learned:

Shaded Basecoats - Don't be scared of colors, don't stress about the color wheel so much. Know it, yes, but don't worship it. 

Sometimes the most interesting thing you can do for a model besides painting it well, is using something unique as the shadow or base to bring out something you may have never thought about before. That ugly bright minty green color you my turn your nose up at? Could make for the perfect highlight you've been dreaming of. That flourescent green that would sit in the bottom of the box unused? Could be the perfect highlight or blend for that green that you want to make 'pop'.

Painting Flats - Light. Seriously, it's been how long and you still don't consider Light Mrs. M? LIGHT. You can blend, now just use the light dangit. 

Portraiture - Have confidence and practice. Just like in painting flats, think about light and shadows. Paint the contrasts. If you can do it on a flat then you can do it on a model. (I bought a massive bag full of little dowels to paint on and practice)

Basing - Think outside the box, train goods, seriously think outside the box. 

Airbrushing - Airbush. 

Life Lessons:

- Bring a change of clothes if you're going to wear something sorta tight. 

- 3 cups of kraken is good

- Be less Awkward 

- Don't defeat yourself (I never entered my flat or my stone giant, though I had both with me)

- Chocolate is a sometimes treat not whenever you see it. 

- Buy a bigger suitcase. 

- Quit missing out on survival paint. 

- You seriously had access to a wide variety of amazing sculptors and never once asked about conversion sculpting, you need to stop doing that. 

- six classes is juuuuust right. 

- Start Tomorrow. 

• Like 11

Painting

I learned I need to paint more.   Well that and work on differing my highlighting and shadowing.  I also learned how not to suck at sculpting, now just need to start, so I can get past that pesky part.

Socializing:

I can actually make it to the gaming side of the Con and play a game.  Talking to the judges is very enlightening.  Next year I need to actually talk to the artist outside of classes to ask for advice on painting.  ReaperPeeps are still just as cool as they were last year, though I was just as introverted as usual.

• Like 7

that you should occasionally shade all the direct light off your figure to check your artificial shadows and highlights rather than real ones.

This is why at home I have two floor lamps with reading lights, one behind each shoulder, so that I can lean left or right to make sure my highlights/shadows are not just awesome shading and highlighting from the light. ^_^

I wasn't at ReaperCon this year either, but I can share a few things I learned last year!

-Blending is both an art and a science! Kuro helped me with the science part (do a youtube search for Kuro Cleanbrush blending for his awesome tutorial!)

-The most paint is left where the brush leaves the mini. I'd noticed this before, but not consciously, and had never attempted to use this as a technique before

-Ribbons are teh awesome

-While sleep may be for the weak, not getting at least sort of enough will ensure that you won't remember a darn thing from the classes you take on the last day. So, if you end up in this situation, take lots of notes so you can learn later what you learned in class. :lol:

-ReaperCon withdrawal is a thing

-Drunk painting shenanigans are hilarious to observe

-TALK TO MORE ARTISTS!!! Seriously! Me and a couple other people got a 30 minute impromptu marble tutorial from James Wappel himself just because we happened to be nearby when he started explaining it to one person. It was amaaaaaazing ::o:

-Unless you only have a couple very minor details to tidy up, DON't try to finish your entry while at the con. It will result in less time spent enjoying the con itself

-Bring paints, exacto knife and superglue if you can; even if you don't need them, somebody else inevitably will, and it's nice to be able to offer a needed item ^_^

-Portable battery-powered Ottlite is a great investment

-It doesn't matter how much spending money you budget: you will need more.  :blink:

-Reaperites are the BESTEST!!! :wub:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 13