Jump to content

nytflyr

So, who is excited about ReaperCon 2017

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I'm about to tear the house apart as I can't find my ReaperCon hoodie.

 

ReaperCon hoodie?! No... no, I shouldn't. I'm pretty sure I have more jackets than shirts at this point, as my souvenir reasoning goes, "well, I can wear a jacket over a lot of things instead of just a shirt...."

 

14 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

 

I'm sure she will be willing to share addresses and a determination of how authentically Japanese both are. She's pretty critical, especially when they use the wrong sauce for a dish. I couldn't tell you one way or the other, but hey, uncouth American with no taste here. 

 

I love food!! And learning about food if she's willing to share food knowledge! ::D: 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also people in hotter climates can sometimes go nuts with the air conditioner lol. Better to need a hoodie and not wear it then be cold. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bathory said:

Also people in hotter climates can sometimes go nuts with the air conditioner lol. Better to need a hoodie and not wear it then be cold. 

 

I think that's more likely to be the problem. I just looked at Dallas weather for the next 10 days and the lowest lows were in the high 50s F.

 

Though I suppose if you're planning to sit at an outdoor table for an hour drinking cold beers it might be nice to have a hoodie for that.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, knarthex said:

Changing Houses @ub3r_n3rd?::P:

Really, it’s not that I haven’t been hobbying, but I’ve been putting off what I *should* be doing for Reapercon. ::(:

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, should mention that Korean BBQ isn't an Asian version of traditional BBQ known in the states. Marinated raw meats and some veggies brought to your table where you cook them yourself over a propane grill in the middle of the table. In case anybody had a different idea.

 

And she might be a bit sad if they don't offer cow tongue and horse, but hey, ya never know. Actually, I have the links to the... wait. Shoot. Commercial links. Okay, fire up a search engine and find kulausa for the sushi and genkoreanbbq for the other. 

 

And it it looks like they have tongue, but no horse. But she will be tempered because it looks like the sushi place has tuna cheeks. Yes. Cheeks. Side of the face. That. I have not been brave enough to try it, mostly because she says it's a bit fatty which I don't care for yet she loves.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ub3r_n3rd said:

The nights can get a tad chilly as a bunch of us hang out and have drink while conversing. So I think a hoody or light jacket would be good for everyone to bring along. 

 

I support this advice. The HVAC at the convention space can also be unpredictable, so having a few light layers available is also a plus to keep yourself comfortable.

 

(Hey, at least we're past the days of the blast-chiller classrooms at the factory! :upside: )

 

28 minutes ago, ub3r_n3rd said:

Really, it’s not that I haven’t been hobbying, but I’ve been putting off what I *should* be doing for Reapercon. ::(:

 

Very much this. A lot of my summertime hobbying was devoted to tabletop pieces for gaming. My competition painting skills are a bit rusty, and I haven't had time to really practice, or work on a piece.

 

We'll see what next year brings.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Oh, should mention that Korean BBQ isn't an Asian version of traditional BBQ known in the states. Marinated raw meats and some veggies brought to your table where you cook them yourself over a propane grill in the middle of the table. In case anybody had a different idea.

 

And she might be a bit sad if they don't offer cow tongue and horse, but hey, ya never know. Actually, I have the links to the... wait. Shoot. Commercial links. Okay, fire up a search engine and find kulausa for the sushi and genkoreanbbq for the other. 

 

And it it looks like they have tongue, but no horse. But she will be tempered because it looks like the sushi place has tuna cheeks. Yes. Cheeks. Side of the face. That. I have not been brave enough to try it, mostly because she says it's a bit fatty which I don't care for yet she loves.

 

Looks like those are over in the Corp HQ area of Plano*. Probably quite a few other upscale places nearby.

 

While looking at that, I saw that there's a Whattaburger just north off of I-35, so that might need to be a lunch one day, too.

 

We're not doing the VIP thing, so we'll be going out for dinner in case anybody else wants to tag along. (And we're driving, so it shouldn't be a problem to take a couple of people with us.) Look me up if you're interested.

 

*I used to work for an Ericsson R&D house in Gunbarrel. Ericsson's US headquarters is (or at least was) near those of several other telecom infrastructure companies in Plano.

Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Clearman said:

 

I brought a ton of stuff last year.  Hardly used any of it, so I'm taking a minimalist approach this year.  If it doesn't fit in my backpack, it probably won't be brought.

 

Well considering I'm running 5 + 1 after con games for the Con this year. At least most of the rule books are digital.

 

Mine is mostly getting things packed in the right spots so they don't take up more storage then needed. 

 

Which right now means I need to finish up minis so I can start to fit them into the foam trays! 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will start composing my ReaperCon packing checklist this week. Actual packing won't happen until at least the last 48 hours before my flight leaves.

 

Brushes

Green Stuff

Paint Caddy [plus project paints]

Hobby Tool Kit [See additional toolkit checklist]

Notebook

Tablet

Dice

 

...

 

Some kind of clothing  - I guess.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wa Kubota opened up not too long ago to cater to Toyota executives. I've been to eat there once and was unprepared. It was on the pricey side, but the food was excellent. Afterwords I mentioned my experience to a friend who is from Asia and he did tell me that they have the most Japanese authentic food in the entire metro area. He has implored me to return and sit at the sushi bar for the best sushi around. I have yet to make it back over there. If you're jonesing for authentic Japanese, Kubota is your best bet.

 

I personally am not a big fan of sushi conveyor establishments. They are ok i guess, but if you have a nostalgia for conveyor sushi it would be alright.

 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, DixonGrfx said:

Wa Kubota opened up not too long ago to cater to Toyota executives. I've been to eat there once and was unprepared. It was on the pricey side, but the food was excellent. Afterwords I mentioned my experience to a friend who is from Asia and he did tell me that they have the most Japanese authentic food in the entire metro area. He has implored me to return and sit at the sushi bar for the best sushi around. I have yet to make it back over there. If you're jonesing for authentic Japanese, Kubota is your best bet.

 

I personally am not a big fan of sushi conveyor establishments. They are ok i guess, but if you have a nostalgia for conveyor sushi it would be alright.

 

 

 

Looked them up. Had to laugh since there was a three page menu, one of food and two of alcohol! (At least, excluding the separate sushi menu they're bound to have) Feels more like an after work drinking place than a restaurant.

 

A conveyor sushi place is the traditional first night's dinner when the wife and kids visit the in-laws, so yeah, bit of nostalgia. But I think what really sold it for her were the game machines for when you return the plates. Cheap souvenirs for the kids!

 

Unless it's a cool toy. Then it's mine. 

Edited by Pegazus
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kubota has tatami rooms where you can dine at a traditional height table (close to the floor).  They have a few of these separated dining areas.  But they also have a western dining room and then there is the sushi bar.  It's not a big establishment. I would say that it's not even as large as your local Chili's.  It's quiet, and beautiful.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of the sushi places sound amazing! I'm hesitant on conveyor and buffet places. I want to sit somewhere beautiful and experience real, beautiful food!! :wub: Those all cost money though, heh. :P

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2017 at 5:42 PM, ub3r_n3rd said:

AROOOOOOOO!

Well, you can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk?

 

15 hours ago, knarthex said:

16 days...

 

Are you packed yet?:blink:

:lol::lol::lol: That's a good one!!

 

13 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I know, right?  I'm lucky if I pack 16 hours in advance.

Exactly.

Probably with at least one last minute as I'm walking out the door item.

 

6 hours ago, ub3r_n3rd said:

This week. Time to get cracking hard on the diorama! No more excuses, no more procrastinating! 

LET'S GO!! MOVE IT, MOVE IT, MOVE IT!!!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×