nytflyr

So, who is excited about ReaperCon 2017

33 minutes ago, DixonGrfx said:

That would be James Wappel's Shaded Base Coats class.  You wet blend several colors on the figure as your base coat where you try to block in your shadows and highlights.

Sshhhh @Crowley may figure out how I would go about winning a silver for a 'simple' table top basecoat. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Im glad you hunted us down in the parking lot and gave us the much needed brain bleach. (My husband loves it btw.)

Yay!!  I'm glad you liked it, I get a little insecure about sharing my creations.  

2 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Whats a 'tabletop' paint job? Could a tabletop paint job win bronze, silver or even gold?

A certain clever Kraken is irritated to no end when I keep being surprised that my "practice Bones piece" won a bronze.  I mean, I sort of thought it was in Ub3r's "tabletop +" category, does that count?  

(And didn't your bed win a silver or something??)

• Like 11

32 minutes ago, Thes Hunter said:

So my 'tabletop' paint jobs don't count. :down: 

Now, I'm challenged to see if I can win silver by doing just Base pat, wash, highlight on a figure. :lol: 

::P:

31 minutes ago, Thes Hunter said:

Sshhhh @Crowley may figure out how I would go about winning a silver for a 'simple' table top basecoat. 

*and then the hamster just walked in front of the party bus in despair...

Fortunately he's short, and the wheels missed him.*

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

A basic tabletop paint job, as i define it: Base colors blocked in. Wash. Highlight. Done.

I don't think any of my "tabletop" minis have been done that way! Maybe the first couple... I've taken too many wet blending classes. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, terminalmancer said:

I don't think any of my "tabletop" minis have been done that way! Maybe the first couple... I've taken too many wet blending classes. 

I think it depends on what I'm painting... Individual figures do get more wet blending. But units of troops? Eh...

What about you @Glitterwolf?

Edited by Crowley
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, DixonGrfx said:

That would be James Wappel's Shaded Base Coats class.  You wet blend several colors on the figure as your base coat where you try to block in your shadows and highlights.

That's the one.

27 minutes ago, Crowley said:

I think it depends on what I'm painting... Individual figures do get more wet blending. But units of troops? Eh...

If you go really sloppy, it works really well really fast on stuff like zombies, flesh golems, gibbering mouthers, and the like. Put a layer of dark purple down and then wet blend an off-white on top of it. You'll have to clean up a little afterwards of course. ::P: But Shaded Basecoat is all about using big brushes, so the initial color only takes a few seconds if you use a properly monstrous brush.

• Like 9

46 minutes ago, terminalmancer said:

That's the one.

If you go really sloppy, it works really well really fast on stuff like zombies, flesh golems, gibbering mouthers, and the like. Put a layer of dark purple down and then wet blend an off-white on top of it. You'll have to clean up a little afterwards of course. ::P: But Shaded Basecoat is all about using big brushes, so the initial color only takes a few seconds if you use a properly monstrous brush.

Indeed,  many a bones 1 figures will be sacrificed in pursuit of this technique over the next year me thinks. 

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Grayfax said:

Very likely a finger painting class.  If it wasn't that one... the other one from the same instructor was...

A certain amount of finger painting was involved, yes.

2 hours ago, Silvervane said:

Indeed,  many a bones 1 figures will be sacrificed in pursuit of this technique over the next year me thinks. 

Indeed, I picked up a lizardman, and a couple of deep ones from Miss Melons' tray of surplus Bones for just that purpose. 

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 7

Oh man that was the one thing about that shaded base coats class. I spent months and months of practicing brush control, placing color exactly right, layering exactly right, having the rhythm down to clean brush, wipe brush, grab paint, apply paint and such to perfect it and gain muscle memory.

BUT in that class. Shaded freaking Base Coats. You dony need it. You paint. You toss on a color while you have other colors still on your brush and you paint. 

It may not look great initially, but that's okay, thats what shading is for. It was very liberating taking that class. I love my techniques and blending and stippling and other things, but its refreshing that you can paint just as well using Wappels techniques too.

Edited by MissMelons
  • Like 14

On 10/25/2017 at 11:25 AM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I need to watch that video I have (got it in a bundle with some KS figures) on his Shaded Basecoats.  If I still don't get it, the I may just have to sign up for the class next year.

I heard a rumor this might have been Wappel's last Reapercon.  Can anyone confirm?

34 minutes ago, edz16 said:

I heard a rumor this might have been Wappel's last Reapercon.  Can anyone confirm?

It would be much to early to confirm a rumor like that. No one here is getting ready for 2018 yet, with the exception of myself and Adrienne. I expect it is just that a rumor and nothing more.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Heisler said:

It would be much to early to confirm a rumor like that. No one here is getting ready for 2018 yet, with the exception of myself and Adrienne. I expect it is just that a rumor and nothing more.

I was in his Base Camp class and heard him mention it was probably his last Reapercon. It was something about the class sizes where when he signed up when it was 6 or so. Then later it became 10 and later 12 seats. Sounded like he preferred the smaller sizes where it was easier to go into deeper levels of detail. I am absolutely hopeful he comes back next year though!

3 hours ago, edz16 said:

Hey Michael! Thanks for letting me hang with you and you buddy over the con... (stalker!)

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Crowley said:

I paint for display and fun.

So I tend to paint every creature as good as I can.

In the past I painted armies, and just paid attention to the front rank and characters, leaving the rest as a tabletop unit.

But those days are behind me.

Wet Blending is a technique I haven't mastered yet.

I use layering and glazing.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Mnemonic said:

I was in his Base Camp class and heard him mention it was probably his last Reapercon. It was something about the class sizes where when he signed up when it was 6 or so. Then later it became 10 and later 12 seats. Sounded like he preferred the smaller sizes where it was easier to go into deeper levels of detail. I am absolutely hopeful he comes back next year though!

Hey Michael! Thanks for letting me hang with you and you buddy over the con... (stalker!)

Anytime!  Looking forward to it again next year.

• Like 2