Sign in to follow this  
Chris Palmer

Griffon (Bones) (77157) and a Bones 1 Personal Milestone

figure 256 of 266 figures,

You haven't actually been painting them in the order they were numbered in the KS pics, have you?  (Cuz, that would be just a little OCD, lol)

• Like 1

You can do it Chris!  

10 figures is nothing to what you have already done.  Looking at your increasing speed on the blog, you should be done before mid-December 

A couple of us have "Slain the Vampire"  but that was my whole order.  I missed the fact you were working your way through a larger order. 

I am doing the same for my Bones 2 order (see sig) but it is going slow, I keep buying more figures and then unaccountably wanting to paint them instead.  I don't update my total I just stick with the 201 that I got from the actual Kick-starter. that way I don't have to figure out which of the  bones dragons I bought at retail were from KS 1 or 2

and the griffin looks great. I don't think I have ever referred to large feathered wings as "easy to paint"  even when I was dry brushing them . 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 1

Well done Chris!  And remember to have a beer ready (or whatever your beverage of choice is) for when you finish that last mini!!!

Also - this seems like a good opportunity to say that I've been really impressed with the improvement in your painting skill.  With each mini you complete and post, you show that you are getting better and better at painting minis and it's been great to see your journey as you go through the box!  

• Like 1

I love the colour of the feathers, very good!

So...ehhh you will have Bones I done before III shows up...no Bones II ? 

Those are still available should you have too much time on your hands... :devil:

• Like 2

Looking good!  Nice eyes, simple and effective color scheme.  The dry-brushing on the wings is a very appropriate effect, too.  

Thanks, GWCB!

figure 256 of 266 figures,

You haven't actually been painting them in the order they were numbered in the KS pics, have you?  (Cuz, that would be just a little OCD, lol)

LOL...no, not exactly.  I started out picking and choosing the ones that interested me, or that I wanted for a particular game; then when I ran out of ones that I had a particular need or desire to paint, I did start just going in the order of the KS photo.  That order of progression was occasionally interrupted when I knew I was going to have a busy week, so grabbed an easier-to-paint mini from further down the queue.  So not totally OCD.  The numbering, was just for fun so i could keep count of how far along in the progression I was.

You can do it Chris!  

10 figures is nothing to what you have already done.  Looking at your increasing speed on the blog, you should be done before mid-December 

A couple of us have "Slain the Vampire"  but that was my whole order.  I missed the fact you were working your way through a larger order. 

I am doing the same for my Bones 2 order (see sig) but it is going slow, I keep buying more figures and then unaccountably wanting to paint them instead.  I don't update my total I just stick with the 201 that I got from the actual Kick-starter. that way I don't have to figure out which of the  bones dragons I bought at retail were from KS 1 or 2

and the griffin looks great. I don't think I have ever referred to large feathered wings as "easy to paint"  even when I was dry brushing them . 

Thanks, Evilhalfling!  Yes, my total of 266 minis includes a few of the extra add-on sets, a couple extra I traded for, as well as the core Vampire set.   I have been painting a few Bones II minis along the way as well, and for a while I was trying to do do a Bones 1 mini to post to the blog on Mondays, and then a Bones 2 mini to post on Thursday.  When the threat of Bones 3 being delivered loomed on the horizon, I reverted back to doing all Bones 1 minis to get them done.

Thanks for the kind words regarding the Griffon.  I love drybrushing.  i wish i could panting everything that way. :)

Well done Chris!  And remember to have a beer ready (or whatever your beverage of choice is) for when you finish that last mini!!!

Also - this seems like a good opportunity to say that I've been really impressed with the improvement in your painting skill.  With each mini you complete and post, you show that you are getting better and better at painting minis and it's been great to see your journey as you go through the box!  

Thanks, Jokemeister!   I really appreciate your comments regarding my painting skill progress!  Though I don't know how much of that is all the practice my Bones 1 project gave me, and how much of it is all the hints, tricks and methods I've picked up here on the forum. :) 

That's gorgeous! By far one of the best griffons I've seen.

Thank you very much, Erifnogard!

I love the colour of the feathers, very good!

So...ehhh you will have Bones I done before III shows up...no Bones II ? 

Those are still available should you have too much time on your hands... :devil:

Thank you, Xherman!   Yes, I have panted and posted a number of Bones 2 minis along the way as well. It's just I was sensible enough not to commit myself to painting and blog posting my whole Bones 2 KS purchase as well. :)   I traded/ sold off a bunch of those, so am only painting and posting the ones I really like or need.  I will probably do the same with Bones 3; only paint and post most but not all of the KS.  

As fun as doing the Bones 1 project has been, it has been something of a drain on my painting time, and there are a few other projects that have been pushed to the back burners to accomplish my goal.  While I still plan to post my Bones painting  on a once a week schedule, it will be nice to mostly not to have to paint to a deadline anymore as well as paint some non-Bones minis that I've been wanting to get to. :)

• Like 5

Life is too short to paint for deadlines.

I only paint the minis I want at that time.

But I do admire the effort you're putting into this.

I wished I had more time to paint.

( don't we all..?)

• Like 3

Life is too short to paint for deadlines.

I only paint the minis I want at that time.

But I do admire the effort you're putting into this.

I wished I had more time to paint.

( don't we all..?)

Thanks, Xherman.  Yes, painting to a deadline is not fun.  That is why this challenge was a one-time thing with me. It was mostly fun, I'm glad I did it, and I hope folks got something out of it; but it will be a long time before I decide to so it again. :)

• Like 1

It looks very nice.  I like the subtlety of the feather tips.

And congratulations on the milestone!

• Like 2

Very nicely done, and congratulations on such an impressive milestone!

Thank you, klarg, on both counts! 

It looks very nice.  I like the subtlety of the feather tips.

And congratulations on the milestone!

Thank you, Pingo, for your comments!

So I am looking at painting fur soon, do you have any suggestions for me? It will be for some Warhammer 40k Space Wolves figures

For simple fur I paint the fur a mid grey or brown, then wash with Citadel "Nuln Oil" or "Agrax Earthshade" wash, and then when the wash is dry, I drybrush with a light grey or brown.

I would suggest you look at my Owlbear write up: Owlbear , and perhaps some of my orc write-ups: Orcs ,to see how I did different colored furs.

• Like 2