Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiJack

Skirmish! VT - Virtual TableTop for Role-Playing Games

About this project
9908778aa0f5d38ffac23839317ad803_origina

Skirmish! VT is a free-to-play, next-gen virtual tabletop software that aims to enhance your pen & paper or tabletop role-playing game experience. It is designed for on-line play as well as for game sessions taking place at home in your living room. Whether you plan to host a d6 Cyberpunk or a d20 High Fantasy setting, whether you need to plan routes on large overland maps or head into battle on hi-res tactical maps, its powerful, flexible plug-in structure enables Skirmish! to adapt to almost any situation in any p&p or tabletop RPG system.

The official release of Skirmish! VT is expected to offer a complete solution to easily create beautiful maps with our world builder, manage encounters and store game settings, maps & character info in an efficient and accessible way. Our software is planned to be released with default character sheets and game settings for many common RPGs. Even if your desired setting should not be supported at launch right away, Skirmish! will provide you with the tools to easily create these yourself and share them with the community. Furthermore, we plan to establish Skirmish! as a platform for RPG enthusiasts of any genre to find players, groups, plug-in developers and artists as well as hi-quality content to fuel their games.

Once the main goal of this campaign is reached, Skirmish! VT will be a fully functional stand-alone virtual tabletop, but it doesn't just stop there. With the support of our backers we intend to expand Skirmish! with stretch goals and turn it into an all-in-one solution to cover all important RPG aspects. These expansions are modular and based on our own vision as well as a lot of user suggestions received during the open beta phase. Stretch goals that aren't reached during the course of the campaign may still be implemented in later development stages but naturally the overall process would be slower.

While the basic version of Skirmish! VT will be free to play for everyone, subscribers of Skirmish! VT PRO will be able to use additional features which are listed below in the "What will it cost?" section.

c0dd9f11d6cd724d7172b8f410679b3b_origina

In contrary to many other VTT solutions Skirmish! allows each group to run its own server to work with as they please. This means your creativity won't be held back by imposed file size or content limits. Furthermore, by running on its own independent client/server base rather than in a browser, Skirmish! provides a richer, more responsive UI, fast access to local files and resources, faster screen updates and content loads of virtually any size, while still allowing full use of online resources, auto-syncing and remote play. 

Note that browser-based VTTs require you to be on-line all the time. Skirmish! however, only requires you to log in once at start up to synchronize and verify update data. After synchronization is complete you can go forth and play off-line. Additionally, as long as you don't download any major updates or huge content files, the required data transfer for synchronization is so small it can even be handled by using the tethering option of your smartphone. If you are worried about bandwidth problems using hi-res content in an on-line game, don't worry: Skirmish! can optimize all your currently loaded content for low bandwidth connections with the click of a button.

By being intuitive and accessible, Skirmish! aims to feel more like a game supplement rather than a tool. This is also reflected by the official Skirmish! content library which is inspired by the beauty & detail of actual tabletop RPG dioramas and timeless classic RPG video games. The Skirmish! world builder allows you to easily build these beautiful maps from scratch using hi-res tiles and objects. Additionally, if you're an artist yourself or already own a vast collection of art content by 3rd party artists, don't fret: Skirmish! is able to import images of almost any format. Check out the open beta tutorial videos down below to see how easy to use Skirmish! is.

When we first started the development of Skirmish! we asked ourselves: Shouldn't a virtual tabletop be able to support all players independent of their gaming background and preference? Shouldn't it also help make games easy and accessible so you can enjoy the "fluff" without sacrificing the "crunch"? Keeping these questions in mind, all features and especially the plug-in system of Skirmish! were designed to be accessible & customizable in order to truly reflect the way you like to play; whether you like the storytelling aspect, the tactics aspect, or both.

f345a09fc9ccb488efba9119dcd49f88_origina

6487364726a94636e3133d0ec6e4a92e_origina

This does look quite promising although, from my many experiences with MapTool, I can't stand those top down portraits. I prefer the more traditional portraits we've seen on various maps over the years. I don't know how integral the top down portraits are to the way they want their program to be run but they seem pretty focussed on doing them that way. Does anyone know if it can be a bit more flexible?

Kickstarter cancelled by the project creator although it looks like he has plans to give it another try in a few months.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this