If the deep bits on the cloak are bothering you, paint them your darkest shadow and then leave them. People won't pay attention to them so much. So even if there are some folds down there, you can kinda cheat by just making them really dark.

The blending's looking good. I like Brice's method.

Thank you, that's good advice. I hadn't realized that I'd missed that entire bit next to her right side until I was looking at the pictures after starting on her skin and realized that she was looking quite a bit too wide. I think the contrast is great enough that such spots will essentially fade away if I paint them the darkest shadow colour as you say!

• Like 2

Spectral glow is a fantastic color

It is! I was already preaching the glory of Spectral Glow before this, now I can preach it twice as exuberantly. I was really thrilled to get my hands on it from the classroom bin of paints when I started on her! 

• Like 2

If the deep bits on the cloak are bothering you, paint them your darkest shadow and then leave them. People won't pay attention to them so much. So even if there are some folds down there, you can kinda cheat by just making them really dark.

Thank you, that's good advice. I hadn't realized that I'd missed that entire bit next to her right side until I was looking at the pictures after starting on her skin and realized that she was looking quite a bit too wide. I think the contrast is great enough that such spots will essentially fade away if I paint them the darkest shadow colour as you say!

Now the light's on them, the bits on the front of her cloak do look kinda rough. The spot I'm finding distracting is on the back. The v-shape that's hanging down from her outstretched left arm has some rough blending in the shadow. Maybe consider using a dark blue glaze to smooth that out.

• Like 1

Now the light's on them, the bits on the front of her cloak do look kinda rough. The spot I'm finding distracting is on the back. The v-shape that's hanging down from her outstretched left arm has some rough blending in the shadow. Maybe consider using a dark blue glaze to smooth that out.

Yes! Thank you, my eye went to the same spot when that picture came up and I thought "Whoo, that spot's ugly" I'm glad it wasn't just me being overly critical of myself. I think that's one of the areas that I made worse when I was making other areas on the cloak better. I'll definitely work on it some more when I go back to smooth out those areas on the front.

I'd been debating with myself over what colour I should glaze the cloak with - I'm not sure if I should go with straight Tropical Blue or the 50/50 mix of Tropical Blue and Spectral Glow.

Glazing is definitely a weak point for me. I have a lot of trouble gauging proper paint thinning for it. I might pull out another bones figure and do the same colours on a section of cloak and practice glazing there instead of directly on her. I can't tell you how many times I've been really happy with how a figure's going and then I decided to glaze, messed it up and destroyed all of the work I'd done previously.

• Like 1

I think your blending looks fine on most of the rest of the cloak so I'd probably confine my glazing to just that one spot. I'd probably do two glazes, one of your mid-tone, keeping it away from the highlights. Then I'd mix blue liner into that glaze and deepen the shadows because, of course, the mid-tone glaze will lift those shadows away from where you might want them. Since that spot is so close to the top of the cloak, however, you could just leave it with the mid-tone glaze since the shadows won't be so severe.

• Like 1

I think your blending looks fine on most of the rest of the cloak so I'd probably confine my glazing to just that one spot. I'd probably do two glazes, one of your mid-tone, keeping it away from the highlights. Then I'd mix blue liner into that glaze and deepen the shadows because, of course, the mid-tone glaze will lift those shadows away from where you might want them. Since that spot is so close to the top of the cloak, however, you could just leave it with the mid-tone glaze since the shadows won't be so severe.

Awesome, thank you!

Remember to seal before you experiment!

It makes it easier to use the eraser brush! !!!

I seal nothing; I like living the YOLO life. ::P:

• Like 7

OK, so I worked on her skin a little bit more. I think I still need to do some more work on it, but I decided to take a break from her skin and paint some more colour. So the following pictures are from about the halfway point in the night. I'll cover what colours I used in the next post.

Her skin's getting blown out in these. I think I did a better job of correcting that in the next batch.

post-13371-0-63460000-1478226977.jpg post-13371-0-12325000-1478226978.jpg post-13371-0-60126500-1478226978.jpg post-13371-0-15471100-1478226979.jpg

• Like 10

And then here's where I'm at now at the end of the night.

The colours I'm using on her skirt/bra are Warcolours Green 1 and Green 2, mixing with MSP Pure White at the highest and MSP Pure Black at the lowest. I still have a lot more work to do on smoothing all of this out.

post-13371-0-65097300-1478227181.jpg post-13371-0-18548300-1478227182.jpg post-13371-0-69448000-1478227182.jpg post-13371-0-21102100-1478227183.jpg post-13371-0-70273500-1478227183.jpg post-13371-0-19776900-1478227184.jpg post-13371-0-75888900-1478227184.jpg post-13371-0-22816600-1478227185.jpg post-13371-0-77314900-1478227185.jpg post-13371-0-21992800-1478227186.jpg

As always, comments and criticism very much welcome!

• Like 16

Your blending looks real good to me! I'm a fan of the contrast between the light and dark shades. Do you suppose you might be able to share some tips/techniques you learned at your class? I've never had the luxury of going to Reapercon or any hands-on instructional before, and I'd like to learn how to blend better.

• Like 1

Your blending looks real good to me! I'm a fan of the contrast between the light and dark shades. Do you suppose you might be able to share some tips/techniques you learned at your class? I've never had the luxury of going to Reapercon or any hands-on instructional before, and I'd like to learn how to blend better.

I would first and foremost point you to Kuro Cleanbrush's video on blending through layering as that's the technique I'm using and Kuro's blending is a zillion times smoother than mine (he's also here on the forum, so definitely check out his work!) and as he's an actual instructor, his video certainly explains it far better than I could. https://youtu.be/0oa-_tMbRBE

So that's part of it. Another part that Brice spent a long time in class explaining that I will do my best to simplify is that we tend to use our eyes as the light source when painting minis, so no matter what angle you're looking at it from, you tend to highlight the highest point, or rather the part that's poking out at you the most from whatever angle you're looking at it from. But for accurate lighting, you need to pick an angle and stick with it so that it's consistent and that's what makes it look more realistic.

I did this really crude example for you in MSPaint: (click on the picture to see a larger version)

post-13371-0-06323000-1478292993_thumb.jpg

So I've got the sun in there as a crude representation of the light source. Then where I've put the yellow lines are the parts that are being hit by direct light, the orange lines are being hit by indirect light and the red lines are being hit by little to no light. You can see a few spots where I've actually messed that up and made several areas too light for their positioning.

The colours there that I listed to the right are an approximation, I just used the eye dropper tool in MSPaint, but that's pretty much how they were mixed on my palette.

I did an even more crude example in MSPaint of how I previously would have gone about highlighting the cloak:

post-13371-0-62832100-1478292339.jpg

As you can see, whatever's coming forward is highlighted and anything that's set back is darker and it would appear that it's got great contrast, but it wouldn't read properly with the direction of the lighting.

I hope some part of that helps! ^_^

Edited by Guindyloo
  • Like 17

Another part that Brice spent a long time in class explaining that I will do my best to simplify is that we tend to use our eyes as the light source when painting minis, so no matter what angle you're looking at it from, you tend to highlight the highest point, or rather the part that's poking out at you the most from whatever angle you're looking at it from. But for accurate lighting, you need to pick an angle and stick with it so that it's consistent and that's what makes it look more realistic.

Oh. OH! OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHH!!!!! ::o:

Oh my word, I think you just solved the problem I've always had with highlighting!! Because I always do that thing you said in your second picture, and it never looks right! :wow:

It makes total sense, now that you explained it, and your pictures really really helped a lot! I'm going to stare at them some more, especially the one with the sun in it. So much sense! :bday:

I've been following your thread, and I've neglected to say just how fantabulous her cloak is! In fact, all of the fabric on her is looking really nice indeed! You definitely gained a few levels at ReaperCon. ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 4

The image link above is one of your pictures, and it shows a mold line you missed(?) on the skirt and some other areas. Not sure-- you may have worked on it already and stopped intentionally.  I know Bones can be a pain to work on.

I'm enjoying your WIP.  I don't seal in general, but I have used sealer to smooth out rough areas either before or during painting.  It can fix small mold lines, too.

• Like 1