I've been dying to try some of the techniques Brice ran us through in that class on a few more miniatures since I got home from the Con.  It's a bummer that my stupid "day job" hasn't allowed me any painting time - don't listen to them kids, responsibility isn't all that it's cracked up to be . . .  Anyway, it's good to see how you're making out though.  

The Egg 

• Like 1

The image link above is one of your pictures, and it shows a mold line you missed(?) on the skirt and some other areas. Not sure-- you may have worked on it already and stopped intentionally.  I know Bones can be a pain to work on.

I'm enjoying your WIP.  I don't seal in general, but I have used sealer to smooth out rough areas either before or during painting.  It can fix small mold lines, too.

Yeah I saw that, of course after I'd already painted the skirt bit. I'll likely try to clean it up some and repaint it. Thank you!

• Like 2

I'm a little frustrated with her. It's mainly the casting flaws that are getting me down. I much prefer painting PC size figures in metal. It's cool, she was just meant to be practice and she's been good practice. But man, the hair was fighting me so hard last night with its soft detail. Also, the highlights are getting washed out by the light because of course they are.

I removed that mold line on her skirt but gouged it in the process and had a rough go of it. I think I'm going to call the skirt done unless anyone has any other comments about it.

I did some lining around her skin and clothes with Brown Liner. I'd actually never attempted lining before because the thought of messing up all of that work was too scary....but I was feeling more confident about that than I was with the hair, so that didn't turn out so bad. I had one oopsie on her chest that I need to touch up. For the most part, for the sake of my sanity, I'm not going to fuss very much more with the skin. I obviously need a lot more practice with painting skin, which I very much knew as that's something that I typically shy away from. The paint's just going to get thick if I keep messing with it on her though.

Anyway, here are the pictures I took. I'm giving you the original picture (sized down - although they'll get a bit larger if you click on them) so you can see more what I'm seeing and then the typical cropped and blown up so large that it shows every pigment grain so that I cry about what a terrible painter I am every time I look at it.

post-13371-0-97906500-1478812551_thumb.jpg post-13371-0-32301900-1478812551.jpg

post-13371-0-19549700-1478812553_thumb.jpg post-13371-0-67612900-1478812552_thumb.jpg

post-13371-0-30578500-1478812554_thumb.jpg post-13371-0-76719100-1478812553_thumb.jpg

post-13371-0-29678900-1478812555_thumb.jpg post-13371-0-80317300-1478812554_thumb.jpg

post-13371-0-28883200-1478812556_thumb.jpg post-13371-0-75973800-1478812555_thumb.jpg

The colours I used for the hair were all MSP: Bloodstain Red -> Burning Orange -> Fireball Orange -> Explosion Orange -> Palomino Gold

I think I'll likely go one step higher to actually get a shiny appearance.

Comments and criticism always very welcome!

Edited by Guindyloo
  • Like 15

Nice level-up!

Also, thanks for explaining things! The light source conversation has made some things click for me, too!

• Like 1

The hair looks a little chalky. Perhaps giving it a wash or three of the midtone would help smooth that out. Using some darker shades to define the swoop on the right side of her head would give it a bit more shape. Put the highlights back on with the side or edge of your brush to get a cleaner look.

• Like 2

Woooooow!!! ::o::wub:

The back of her cloak and the green fabric in the front just glow! Definitely a level up, for sure! ^_^

The lining looks very nice, and really helps separate the different areas.

Keep going, she's looking awesome! :D

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 1

looking great!

for her hair I might suggest looking at the 6th picture (up close from the back) as your lighting provided some highlights and shadow where the hair dips.  If you could actually paint the hair to have those shadows that dark I think that would kick up the highlights nicely and give definition to the hair.

• Like 2

Thanks guys! I'm glad y'all are enjoying her and I'm very glad that sharing what I've learned has helped some of you! ^_^

The hair looks a little chalky. Perhaps giving it a wash or three of the midtone would help smooth that out. Using some darker shades to define the swoop on the right side of her head would give it a bit more shape. Put the highlights back on with the side or edge of your brush to get a cleaner look.

The hair looks very chalky and I think a lot of that is because of the soft details there. I did nothing but sidebrush the highlights but since the ridges aren't very defined, it wound up looking more like I'd drybrushed. There, I've gotten the excuses out of my system. I also know that I should've been more patient when I discovered how flat the hair was instead of just stubbornly mashing paint all over the place in retaliation of it not doing exactly what I wanted it to do. I'm a stubborn and impatient painter and those are things that I'm trying to work on. I probably should have put the brush down after the skirt had frustrated me so much.
Thank you for your very rational advice to combat my tendency to just be all "this looks terrible and I hate it" and walk away. In combination with stubbornness and impatience, one of my weakest points is not knowing how to fix things when they go awry so such advice is really, really valuable to me. I'll definitely give the midtone wash a go this evening and approach putting the highlights back in with a lot more control.

looking great!

for her hair I might suggest looking at the 6th picture (up close from the back) as your lighting provided some highlights and shadow where the hair dips.  If you could actually paint the hair to have those shadows that dark I think that would kick up the highlights nicely and give definition to the hair.

Thank you for pointing that out, that's very helpful. I'd absolutely lost the definition of really good shadows in my aforementioned frustration pity party. You've given me a road map to follow. I'll definitely study it!

• Like 4

If you're getting chalky highlights from side brushing you might want to consider adding a little bit more water. The way to control that is to almost dry brush, but with very wet paint. Wipe most of the paint off on a paper towel, cardboard sheet, ceramic tile, or your thumb, and then try to reapply the highlight. It takes some practice, but once you learn how much paint on the brush is enough, it's a useful technique. At least that's how I do it. There are many other techniques, for me, this one takes the least amount of brush control.

• Like 3

Vast improvements on the hair. Thank you, again, for the advice, it helped out tremendously!  I'm pretty pleased with it now.

Other things I worked on tonight were the leather bits and I just basecoated the wooden part of the staff with Brown Liner.

I'm trying some different lighting positioning to try to cut down on the glare. The colours still aren't showing quite true to life, but I think these are much better.

post-13371-0-54244100-1478929785_thumb.jpg post-13371-0-91830200-1478929786_thumb.jpg

post-13371-0-74861400-1478929784_thumb.jpg post-13371-0-38821000-1478929787_thumb.jpg

post-13371-0-36294300-1478929786.jpg post-13371-0-04391700-1478929788.jpg

The colours I used for the leather were Brown Liner -> Rich Leather -> Polished Leather -> Leather Brown -> Youthful Flesh

Comments and criticism always very welcome; feedback obviously helps me out quite a lot!

• Like 16

Ok, now that Mashaaf is done, I jumped back onto Alastriel. The similarity in paint scheme hadn't occurred to me until someone asked me if they went together.... it wasn't intentional and the blue is entirely different but, ah well. Perhaps they're from the same town. ::P:

So I decided to attempt some NMM. This is my first official attempt, as all previous attempts were painted over pretty early on. This I worked on for almost 5 hours tonight. It went through a really abysmal stage that I was really, really unhappy with but I pushed through it and I think it's not too bad now. I was using a tutorial I found on tutofig - I even used pretty much the same paints that they used, except I didn't have the exact paints. The dark blue is a mix of MSP Oceanic Blue and Tropical Blue and Pure Black and I mixed that up with a mix of Warcolours Yellow 1 and Olive 1. I kept trying to bring the bright spots all the way up to white but it kept looking really bad so I kept glazing it back down.

I'm not really sure what to do about the scrollwork on the front of the sword that's just green right now.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

post-13371-0-70554100-1480481812_thumb.jpgpost-13371-0-18611400-1480481813_thumb.jpg

I also realized that I missed her fingers on the inside there, so that's nice. ::P:

• Like 13

Actually the nmm on the sword is pretty good for an official first attempt.   The back of the sword does look better than the front but that is because of the runes adding another dimension to it.

I will leave it to the experienced NMM people to give you advice on how to handle the runes as I cant think of a way to subtract them from the NMM at this point.

• Like 1