Actually the nmm on the sword is pretty good for an official first attempt.   The back of the sword does look better than the front but that is because of the runes adding another dimension to it.

I will leave it to the experienced NMM people to give you advice on how to handle the runes as I cant think of a way to subtract them from the NMM at this point.

Thank you for the feedback! And also thank you for coming up with the word "runes"....can you tell I was tired when I posted last night? :lol: I was like "I don't know what it's called.........scrollwork works" ::P:

Looking at it on my big monitors at the office now, I also think that the sword is too dark for the piece overall....like my darkest value shouldn't have been quite that dark. I'm wondering if I can balance that by going with a darker leather.

I'm also open to suggestions for the crystal on her staff. I don't really want to introduce a new colour into the colour scheme. I also don't want to keep using the green over and over as I think it'll have lost its pop at that point and the crystal is too close to the cloak to do blue. I almost want to pull an orange from her hair but I think then those would be too close together...yeah, that wouldn't work because then the oranges would be battling each other.

Hmmm....maybe I do need to introduce one more colour into the colour scheme and do that for both the crystal and the runes, then that would balance things out pretty well.... but what colour? Maybe a pink-ish red?

• Like 1

I didn't do a lot tonight as I didn't have too much time to paint. I decided to redden up the leather bits. I went in with MSP Mahogany Brown and then lightened up with mixes of that with Fireball Orange and then Lava Orange and then just a touch of straight Golden Yellow. I might work a little bit more on it.

C&C welcome as always!

post-13371-0-72183100-1480570259.jpgpost-13371-0-09360800-1480570260_thumb.jpg

post-13371-0-35925700-1480570259.jpgpost-13371-0-56001700-1480570260_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

OK. I did a lot of little things. I did the crystal on her staff using Warcolours Pink 5, Pink 4, Pink 2 and Pink 1 (I don't know why I skipped Pink 3....YOLO) I also did her nails with Pink 4. Then I did some clean up around her face...isolated the strand of hair on her forehead, glazed in very lightly some blue for eyeshadow, glazed in some....hmmm probably Pink 2 for her cheeks. I don't know what I did to her lips but I don't like them so I'm going to fix that later. I remembered that she had an elf ear so I painted that back in and also painted her earring MSP Tropical Blue and then a little but of highlight of MSP Spectral Glow....that looks really flat though so I'll probably do something different. I glazed Tropical Blue all over the cloak to smooth it out and also did some clean up of the highlights and shadows on that. I glazed in the shadows of the green skirt with thinned down Warcolours Red Glaze. Re-basecoated the runes on the sword with Warcolours Pink 4 (still needs highlighting and whatnot) and I basecoated the staff with MSP Woodstain Brown.

I think that's everything I did tonight.

post-13371-0-78253900-1480655464_thumb.jpgpost-13371-0-20052000-1480655465_thumb.jpgpost-13371-0-69631000-1480655465_thumb.jpg

C&C very welcome as always!

• Like 17

I love the choice of pink for the crystal, not sure that I love having her nails that same pink but it might grow on me. The cloak is looking really smooth and the work you've put into it really shows.

• Like 1

I just found this. I'm gobsmacked.

I was going to say something about going with citrine, or amber when I first saw you discussing the jewel on her staff; because you were talking about pulling from her hair? But I think the pink is equally good; it complements that green very well (darker bits are almost purple.. and, er. Yes). Shiny! That is the word I wanted.

Right now, I really only have one question, and that's to do with the sword; right now it sort of looks like it got stamped out of one piece, with blade, cross guard and hilt all one. Was that deliberate?

I love the NMM finish (I will try this one day, and I hope mine is half as good!), it almost looks like that heat-treated titanium thing you see sometimes. Really, really nice.

• Like 1

Good choice on the crystal.    I am not sold on the pink finger nails and think you would be better off just white as they should not be a focal point to the mini.  They have a tendency to draw the eye at the moment.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the feedback, I appreciate it! ^_^

I love the choice of pink for the crystal, not sure that I love having her nails that same pink but it might grow on me. The cloak is looking really smooth and the work you've put into it really shows.

I'm not loving the nails either, but I also haven't done any highlighting on them yet so that might make them a little less jarring...

I just found this. I'm gobsmacked.

I was going to say something about going with citrine, or amber when I first saw you discussing the jewel on her staff; because you were talking about pulling from her hair? But I think the pink is equally good; it complements that green very well (darker bits are almost purple.. and, er. Yes). Shiny! That is the word I wanted.

Right now, I really only have one question, and that's to do with the sword; right now it sort of looks like it got stamped out of one piece, with blade, cross guard and hilt all one. Was that deliberate?

I love the NMM finish (I will try this one day, and I hope mine is half as good!), it almost looks like that heat-treated titanium thing you see sometimes. Really, really nice.

I decided to move away from doing any colour pulled from the hair for the crystal because I reddened up the leather on her, but I think you're right, had I not gone in that direction, a yellow tone of some sort probably would've worked well for it.

I did deliberately paint the sword as all one piece for a very specific reason - I didn't want to attempt doing another colour of NMM.  ::P:

Good choice on the crystal.    I am not sold on the pink finger nails and think you would be better off just white as they should not be a focal point to the mini.  They have a tendency to draw the eye at the moment.

While I agree that they're too strong right now, I don't agree with going with white for them. I think that would draw just as much attention, especially since it would make her look like she has long witch fingers. I might leave them just skin tone if they were normal fingers, but Werner Klocke sculpts on big, long fingernails on his ladies and thus you can't not paint them, as much as I don't particularly care for them being there, tbh.

I appreciate y'all pointing out that you weren't loving the fingernails either; that kind of thing really helps me to know that I'm not just being overly critical of myself and do need to adjust something. Hopefully they'll look better after I've worked on them tonight!

• Like 4

For the lips: It's hard to tell they're lips right now. I'd paint a very dark red or a reddish purple (like deep red or burgundy wine). Then paint them with a mix of your flesh midtone with a little bit of the darker color mixed in. The trick with this step is to leave a thin line of the red at the bottom of the lower lip and between the lower and upper lip. This will give definition to the lip and let them be seen without making them stick out too much (I hope). Finally, I'd add a white or light pink into the mid color to do some small highlights. That's about what I did with the version of Hasslefree's Hayden I posted a while ago. In her case, I used purpley reds to do the highlighting and midtone.

edit: Oh, and the top lip just gets a bit of the midtone. I didn't spend any time highlighting it (I think it looks a little weird but ymmv).

Edited by SirLarpsAlot
  • Like 1

OK first and foremost, I did not do anything to her fingernails tonight. I was extra sluggish with my painting so I didn't get as much done as I would have liked. Even now, I wanted to be in bed already but I was having trouble with the pictures refusing to be in focus for some reason......maybe it's my eyes that were out of focus. ::P:

Anyway, what I did do was I redid her earring and then I took SirLarpsAlot's suggestion for the lips and I think they look much better (thank you!) but also I think I lost the highlight somewhere along the way. Jessica Rich also suggested that I add orange to her hair and some peach to her flesh so I glazed in Warcolours Orange 5 over her hair and Flesh 3 over her skin. I think it made her skin look much more alive.

post-13371-0-95500800-1480746887_thumb.jpgpost-13371-0-70745600-1480746888_thumb.jpgpost-13371-0-12813300-1480746889_thumb.jpg

C&C very welcome as always!

Edited by Guindyloo
  • Like 9

the skin is very much alive so the peach was a great choice.  I also like how the lips turned out, they are 100% better.

Maybe some careful SPOT highlights for the hair to give it a bit of sheen?

and some highlights on the runes to give that magical glow look.

• Like 1