Sign in to follow this  
Chaoswolf

Colossal Skeleton Conversion for Reapercon 2016---Bronze medal

Congrats on the Bronze!!!

That rust on the sword is amazing!!!

Well done!!!!

Thank you!

Looks great!

Did you have to reinforce his arm any to keep it from drooping? 

Actually, no. I had to reinforce the right leg though; for some strange reason is was starting to droop.

I also reinforced the spine; all the GS and bones bits on the torso made it kinda top heavy. This may have been what was affecting the leg, come to think of it.

• Like 2

Thanks!!

It's a modified version of Siri's excellent tutorial here:

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/56249-siris-guide-to-painting-rust/

I used different colors, and went over the edges of the blade with silver to show that's it's a little cleaner from lots of use!

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Metalchaos
      Hi everyone, 

Here are pictures of the third skeletal beast in the series. 77931, Skeletal Manticore sculpted by Julie Guthrie. Painted with Reaper MSP paint and mounted on a 2 inches base.

• By Metalchaos
      Hi everyone,

Here is the second skeletal beast I painted last week. This is Bones model 77924, Skeletal Chimera sculpted by Julie Guthrie. I added dirt and moss on it to make it look like it's freshly animated. The leaves are dry birch tree seed hulls. I picked them up in the forest and painted them before gluing them on the base. As a reference, the base is 2 inches wide.

• By Metalchaos
      Good day everyone,

With the dead leaves season comes harvest time. Autumn is also a time for gathering and for reflection. Like the Tuilvilanuue words say "Nilsi hentil kilta anno", it takes four seasons to make a year.
      Here are some pictures of Julie Guthrie awesome 77923 Skeletal Owlbear. I really enjoyed painting this model. The design of the skeletal beasts that Reaper recently produced is stunning. It is an archeological journey in fantasy land.

• By MoonglowMinis
      Hi everyone.  Got a couple of Cool Cats to show off today.

I went back and forth for a long time on whether or not a wanted a group of matching lions, or if I wanted variety.  As a DM, I feel these would be used most often as Druidic wildshapes, familiars, or summons.  I also couldn't deny that i wanted to try some different techniques on each, so I decided to go with a Lion, a Tiger, and a Black Panther.

Tiger (Reaper Bones Lion 77341)

First up was the Tiger.  She was actually the Lioness from the Reaper Bones Lions set (77341).  Her sculpt looked like it could read as a tiger, and that was my major inspiration for wanting to paint each of them differently.  I used a lot of references images on her and the subsequent cats as well.  Really wanted to get the coloration right.  I'm happy I did, because my instinct was to use more orange tones, but in actuality, tigers have more of a warm brown color.  I used red-hair colors to bring out the highlights.  The stripes weren't as difficult as I was expecting.  I just used my reference photos as a guide and did my best.  I do worry that people will misinterpret the nose stripes as poorly-drawn whiskers though.  She also looks a little dopy head-on but I promise that that's the sculpt.
      Click the Spoiler for more Photos

Lion (Reaper Bones Lions 77341)

Next up is the other half of the Lion set.  This guy was always destined to be a lion.  Once again, I'm really glad I used reference images.  Its funny how many animals we envision incorrectly.  I learned this lesson well after painting up the Bones 4 pig way too pink, even though I knew it shouldn't be that color.  I'm really pleased with my coloration on the mane.  The only dry brushing on this guy is the rock base.  Time consuming but worth the result.  I think the muscle highlights look pretty natural.

Black Panther (Legend of Drizzt Board Game - Guenhwyvar)

And finally we have the Black Panther.

Fun Fact:
      Did you know that there is no such animal as a Black Panther?  It is just a nickname for melanistic variants of any Panthera species, specifically Leopards and Jaguars.

This model is from The Legend of Drizzt Board Game by Wizards of the Coast.  I have not read a single Drizzt Do'Urden book, but I believe the black panther, Guenhwyvar, is the ranger's companion animal.  Anyways, that was influence enough to paint her up in that style.  I believe I used mostly Black Jaguars as inspiration, though the markings became less important than getting the highlight colors right.  I ended up using Reaper's Dark Elf Skin colors to highlight the black, which is amusing considering Drizzt's race.  I added some mottled spotting afterwards, trying to imply the pattern more than paint each individual spot.  I think I managed to imply muscle, fur, and spots without losing the dark shade of black I wanted.  Pretty happy, especially since this sculpt was my least favorite of the bunch.

QUESTION TIME
      Which of the three is your favorite?

What animals do you use most often in your games?

Do you have a favorite animal you like to see painted in miniatures?
    • By Lidless Eye
      I know I messed up the timing this year, and worked on Deadcember instead of Orctober.   I wasn't feeling super-motivated by the small amount of unpainted Orcs I had, but from my Frostgrave II: Arcanic Boogaloo order had a ton of the living dead.  And one never has enough Zombies.

However, it means there's plenty of spookybois to be shown off!

The Draugr, mostly converted from the Fireforge Living Dead Peasants and Frostgrave Barbarians with some Warhammer bits.

The Knockers, again Fireforge Living Dead Peasants with Warhammer Dwarf Miners hats and bits from Mantic and Mage Knight.
      I think I should go back and add big rucksacks...and redo the flames to be the correct order.

Just plain Fireforge Living Dead Peasants, with the exception of a Frostgrave Cultist head for the Executioner.

The Old Vet, a 3D print from Retro Quest

Undead Pirates from EC3D "Depths of Savage Atoll"

Former Imperials, converted from Warhammer Empire, Mantic Undead, and Frostgrave Cultists (Undead bits)

Mostly Mantic.  Beware the spine whip!

And lastly, when your Necromancer runs out of skulls, the Creeping Claws!  3D prints from Crippled God Foundry

• Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)