Sign in to follow this  
Morihalda

Getting To Know Each Other - November 2016

I always loved the healthy mix of maple trees that were around my mom's house in the fall. Of course, I liked it better when we had 3 large oak trees at the bottom of the yard as well, because their yearly dumping of acorns brought in a lot of the local deer as well. But all 3 of those got blown over in a single storm back in 2006, ripped out roots and all leaving giant 5-foot deep craters, and now all she's got are young oaks that don't produce acorns yet.

Then there was the old beech tree, which also brought in deer of its own, but it's dying from the inside out and has lost almost all of its canopy in large chunks over the last few years. I guess that's to be expected when a tree is a couple hundred years old. But it's got 2 nearby suckers from its roots that we've been nurturing ever since the first large chunk of the parent tree's canopy fell out back around the turn of the millennium. But it'll be sad to see the little glade that its canopy created getting overgrown until the suckers grow to full size of  their own.

And the hickory nearby that the tree rats love...

• Like 7

Weekend Quest for November 5 and 6, 2016: Search for, find, and post your favorite fall leaves! :wub:

If you're out of fall leaves, are there any cool plants in your area?

Japanese maples get the most vibrant colours in these parts.

Most of the year they look like this:

purple-ghost-japanese-maple-1.jpg

But in the fall they look like this:

100230519.jpg.rendition.largest.jpg

The others I really enjoy are trees with saw-toothed, almond shaped leaves, that turn bright orange early in autumn. By mid October they have usually dropped all their leaves, but they look like gold for the two weeks before they drop them. I don't know what kind of tree they are.

• Like 10

41262f75628f39b70dc6b8fa716a7822.jpg

:ik_oops:

*gasps* Those are leaves that are never given the chance to fall.

I'm sure they'll be used for some higher purpose rather than being allowed to turn into compost.

41262f75628f39b70dc6b8fa716a7822.jpg

:ik_oops:

It's a Muppet!

I always wondered where Henson got some of his puppet design ideas...

• Like 4

...But hunting with [phone?] camera in-hand is another option. Which I might try tomorrow...

My Texas trees haven't started to change yet...

The trees round about me are dithering. I did go on a photo essay yesterday:

IMG_0530_YellowLeaf_zpsddyor5ra.jpg

Shot on iPhone, from the driver's seat of a pickup, at a range of three and a half feet.

• Like 9

Not that time of year down this way, sorry. But the Pohutukawa trees will start flowering about now, which is nice.

XKNe1TY.jpg

They're known as the New Zealand Christmas tree, due to their flowering having a peak in December (not because we cut them down and decorate them - they're pretty enough already).

• Like 14

This question shows your southern bias.  We peaked 3 weeks ago.

Haha! I figured it was long past for y'all, given the stereotyped beautiful, multicolored September and October photos from up north! Down here, it's still in the high 80s...

So that's why I added part 2 of the question. :) 

We went camping this weekend and though I did find some snazzy old logs and such, there were no rainbow leaves. :(

• Like 4

We came back from Reapercon to find leaves in our yard.  Usually the 3rd week of Oct is the best color but not this year.  Now we still have lots of green leaves because the warm weather has the trees confused. Our maples have a few yellow leaves among the green. Many of the other trees are the same way, green with a few yellow or brown leaves.  The big red maple in our neighbor's yard just turned brown and dropped everything without coloring. 

• Like 3

This is my favorite kind of fall foliage (not my picture):

columbia-river-gorge-waterfalls-and-mt-h

My favorite any-time-of-the-year foliage too. :wub:

Huzzah!        

--OneBoot :D

• Like 11

14915144_10209532669665882_2954957835604

Okay, so these aren't my trees, but they're pretty! 

I guess your girls will behave to be in a picture.....

• Like 5