Sign in to follow this  
Morihalda

Getting To Know Each Other - November 2016

11/14: Mimics! Not just treasure chests, though...doors, bookshelves, chairs...get the party nice and paranoid. Oh, and randomly roll dice as they progress through the dungeon.

Ooh! I forget where I read it, but I'm pretty sure it was an official WotC or Paizo publication, but there was an article or blurb that mentioned some mimics living so long and growing so large that they can mimic entire rooms or even buildings. I want to say it was Paizo's Dungeon Denizens Revisited. Anyway, that's something I've wanted to try sometime with a sufficiently high level party - they find an abandoned house in the middle of nowhere with no one around, preferably after a long trek or something where they're needing rest, only to find themselves inside the maw of a giant mimic when they bed down for the night...

uhg, reminds me of the horrible flesh to stone wizard. who built a castle out of transmuted flesh just to dare the heroes to use anti magic field...

How would that even work? Anti-magic field shouldn't affect the castle, since the spell just transforms it one way or another and doesn't have a duration or anything. If that were the case, an anti-magic field would be able to restore petrified people to life en masse.

Still a cool idea though. So maybe it just lives and dies by Rule of Cool...

• Like 6

I'm not particularly sneaky.  There's usually no point, and I despise DMs who are out to "get the players."  Far too often, such items are the bread-and-butter of bad DMs. 

That said, I don't just hand out information to players.  I panicked one group by describing a pair of ogres in such terms that the players were really unsure what they were up against, except they were big, smelly, not too bright, and had a penchant for eating anything that crossed their path. A neighboring dwarf NPC said "sounds like trolls to me."  And they went all out preparing for a fight with trolls. 

An attack by a ghoul was particularly hideous because I described the numbing cold of the paralysis instead of saying "make a save vs paralysis."  The players backed off because the PLAYERS were uncertain. 

Or when one of the potions smelled of animal urine.  Well, what would a potion of animal control smell like?  No one wanted to find out what it was.

Then again, I also allowed a wizard to have a kobold apprentice because it made sense that the kobold tribe would want to appease this master of magic (a second level mage, if I recall). 

• Like 10

Question for November 14, 2016

DMs, what's your favorite sneaky thing to add to games? (That you feel like sharing)

Players, what have your DMs done that made you immediately suspicious? …. Were you right?

My favorite thing is to come up with combats where the goal isn't to kill the other guys. Or combats where the environment will kill you before you can kill the other guys.

• Like 8

DMs, what's your favorite sneaky thing to add to games? (That you feel like sharing)

Players, what have your DMs done that made you immediately suspicious? …. Were you right?

I like to just keep adding enough rope for the the players to hang themselves with. I'll throw out large numbers of vaguely described moving parts in the background and then wait for the players to decide that one is a potential ally or the obvious puppet master before really statting them out to match the wild assumptions of the party. example, there was a throw away joke about a character's mentor having dragon arms, that he clearly stole off of a dragon. It turned into a cult of ninjas lead by an angry dragon who has the arms of a little old man. Also florida man as a malevolent force of nature.

Totally this

I have no greater weapon in my arsenal than my players' ability to torment and foil themselves. :devil:

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 7

Q1: Tucker's kobolds (if you don't know, google it) :devil:

Sprites, pixies, and other faerie creatures can be fun, too.

I terrorized my party with a screech owl for about half an hour one time, they never knew what it was, I just described the sounds it made. :devil:

Q2: as a DM, I am always suspicious of everything when I get the chance to be a player.

• Like 5

Something completely harmless.  They can't immediately tell what the danger is and they go to extreme lengths to avoid it.  I once put a fluffy bunny and nest in a narrow tunnel as a clue that they were near the exit, and they got so paranoid it was hilarious. For me anyway. 

• Like 8

An attack by a ghoul was particularly hideous because I described the numbing cold of the paralysis instead of saying "make a save vs paralysis."  The players backed off because the PLAYERS were uncertain. 

In general, I love this approach.  It can be way too easy for player meta knowledge to impact how they approach the game and doing this makes the encounter have more impact for the players which is ultimately what will lead to a better experience for everyone.

• Like 7

Haha, oh man, I have so many (as a player). My favorite is when MrBoot, the GM at the time, was running us through a story-related dungeon. Nearly every room had something trying to kill us, or something to interact with. The things trying to kill us included golems, constructs, animated objects, and one room with a few earth elementals hiding in the dirt floor. Then we came to a small-ish room that was totally empty except for a single stone pillar, placed in the exact center of the room, underneath a section of the ceiling that was cracked.

We were SOOOOOOOOOOOO suspicious of that stupid pillar, since after having the floor, ceiling and windows (glass golems, kid you not) attack us in various rooms, we were convinced this thing was going to come to life and try to kill us. We tried detect magic, taking 20 on Perception checks, throwing things at it, poking it, kicking it, casting magic missle, etc. The few times we had to go back through that room, we either tried a new way to investigate it, or gave it a wide berth.

I asked MrBoot after the campaign was over what was up with the pillar. He just smiled and said that it really was just that: a pillar. To hold up the cracked ceiling. :lol:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 7

Question for November 15, 2016

Who was your first RPG character? Do you still use them? Any memories to share?

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 6

I like to just keep adding enough rope for the the players to hang themselves with. I'll throw out large numbers of vaguely described moving parts in the background and then wait for the players to decide that one is a potential ally or the obvious puppet master before really statting them out to match the wild assumptions of the party. example, there was a throw away joke about a character's mentor having dragon arms, that he clearly stole off of a dragon. It turned into a cult of ninjas lead by an angry dragon who has the arms of a little old man. Also florida man as a malevolent force of nature.

Totally this

I have no greater weapon in my arsenal than my players' ability to torment and foil themselves. :devil:

Yup. The Fantasy AGE campaign that I'm (in theory) running, half of the plot is driven by the characters' reactions to random NPCs. ::): 

And for random stuff... A friend of mine was planning to run a Vampire game a while back, and went to downtown Toronto with a pad of paper and a pen, and wrote down every odd thing he saw. Then he'd randomly throw them into the descriptions of scenes. The best was the time the party had a black van come screaming up the road, then swerve over to the side and screech to a halt just ahead of them. They prepared like crazy for the attack... nothing happened... They decided to go investigate... and scared the everloving poop out of a poor teenage kid who was looking at a map and just not a very good driver. :lol: 

He did that kind of stuff enough that at one point they were playing through Ravenloft and stayed at an inn and heard a crazy amount of howling and it was keeping them up... and the players just made grumbled comments about the innkeeper's stupid dogs and insisted that they wanted to go back to sleep. So the werewolves were easily able to sneak up and kidnap a couple of the characters. :lol: 

Question for November 15, 2016

Who was your first RPG character? Do you still use them? Any memories to share?

No clue. Might have been a thief? Or a mage? I'm pretty sure my brother was a fighter. At any rate - I was 7 years old, and my mom was away that day (working, maybe?) and it was raining so my brother and I were trapped in the house with my dad and he decided to let us play a game of D&D with him. ::): 

• Like 6