Sign in to follow this  
nakos

Looking for historical infantry

Hi, I'm looking for any historical infantry mini with a forlorn/tired/sorrow look in 28-32mm, preferably from Reaper.

Hi, I'm looking for any historical infantry mini with a forlorn/tired/sorrow look in 28-32mm, preferably from Reaper.

That's to broad a topic and I can't think of anything in the Reaper line that fits. I would try searching for napoleonic era miniatures especially vignettes involving the retreat from Moscow by Napoleon in 1812.

Other than that I really need to know what era you are thinking about. 

Edited by Heisler
  • Like 1

Yes, "any" is such a broad subject, ranging from 3000bc to 2016ad talking about currently manufactured lines...

Reaper doesn't really make historical minis. There are a few that has some historical "flavor" but are not historical per se (more like "Hollywood historical.")

Damon.

• Like 1

It doesn't have to be perfect, Hollywood/Reaper historical works too. Xherman, I was looking at the WWII Chronoscopes and I'm leaning heavily towards the first one you linked. I was hoping maybe someone might have seen something I didn't. Era really doesn't matter for this one, though being able to look at multiple eras would be nice.

The plan is to do a diorama for next ReaperCon with a heaven or hell theme based on Five Finger Death Punch's Wrong Side of Heaven, Righteous Side of Hell.

Edited to Add: I decided to add a US Infantryman from each of the major wars. I think I have enough Reaper Infantry that adding other company's mini shouldn't knock me out of consideration for a Sophie.

Edited by nakos
  • Like 1

Some more (semi-) historicals from Reaper.

Maybe a little converting will help?

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Historical/sku-down/50113

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Historical/sku-down/50333

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Historical/sku-down/50226

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Historical/sku-down/50105

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Historical/sku-down/50100

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Historical/sku-down/50043

Personally I think the Native American Chieftain and the US infantryman from my first post might work well together.

Sort of a "then"and "now" setting?

Kinda, mostly, I had already looked at all of them but showing them again in one spot made me reconsider the scope. Enabling.

• Like 1

I almost enabled myself, looking at all those cool minis.

Luckily this time I made my will save..( mostly because there are minis on their way as we speak already...)

I did notice, with all the semi historicals, I miss the Conquistadores, Napoleonics and Roman style minis.

Would love to see some Reaper versions of those periods.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rob Dean
      This hasn’t been a particularly good month for painting.  I had a week off back on the 9th, but, as shown here, my desk had gotten too cluttered to actually get much painting done.  I’m also off this week, and decided that I would try just putting one task on the desk at a time, to see if that would help.  My son has been diligently working on his Bronze Age DBA armies, so I decided that I would finally get started on the last stand of figures I needed to finish my 2nd DBA army.  (DBA : De Bellis Antiquitatis, a popular set of ancient wargames rules for small figure collections to be played on a small table.) Earlier this year, I had managed to get all of my 13th C BCE Libyan infantry done, to match against my New Kingdom Egyptians, but I still needed a “chariot general” base.  

Son and I have been working this project intermittantly for about fifteen years, and we have a deep stash of Caesar Miniatures 1/72 scale plastic figures.  There is no “official” Libyan chariot, so I cobbled one together using an Egyptian chariot body, horses from a different (Mitanni) chariot set, and a Libyan commander pose.  He’s a little too wide to be able to fit a driver in as well, so, artistic rendering...

We used to mount our chariots on a 40mm wide by 60mm deep base, but the DBA rules call for 60mm by 80mm.  The single chariot looks a little lonely, and there isn’t room for a pair of them, so he and I agreed that we would generally mount a couple of “chariot runners” with each vehicle.

Most of my Libyans are done with cloaks painted to represent hairy hides from spotted cows, in keeping with the modern painting guide depictions.  However, searching around for actual contemporary Egyptian depictions of Libyans came up with this (I’ve cropped a single figure out of a group of four):

I did my best to replicate the alternating rows of “eyes” and “arrows” on the general’s cloak, and echoed the pattern on the chariot body decorations because “why not?”.  At least any historical nit-pickers are likely to have seen the same picture...

Here’s the completed “army”.  With the Egyptians, I can at least stage a remote game without using proxy figures, although we are starting to look forward to getting together for an actual games day sometime again (probably still six months off...).  Maybe my next army, the Nubians, will be ready by then as well.

• By Rob Dean
      I gave my older son a copy of the de Bellis Antiquitatis 3.0 rules for Christmas, and he has been inspired to dust off our joint 2009 project to do Egyptians vs Hittites in DBA. That did entail rebasing some chariots, and it looked like they might look lonely on the 60x80mm stands (vice 40x60 we had been using), so I painted 8 Egyptian infantry to serve as chariot runners and put two on each base when I rebased yesterday. 

Since I had some unfinished Libyan archers from BITD, I dusted them off and did four as two light infantry stands, to start an opposing army of my own. 

I picked out the rest of the Libyan foot last night, but they’ll need a chariot converted from an Egyptian one (most likely).  

In between those tasks, I also put a quick paint job on a Bones hordeling, who looks like he’ll be happier facing 1/72 scale opponents than heroic 28+mm figures. 

• By Rob Dean
      I spent lunches last week on these two stands of Saxons for the Osprey Game Dux Bellorum, in which each stand is a unit on its own.  All of the figures are home cast, mostly Prince August with a few spearmen from Dutkins Collectables. For the Saxon army, I'm doing it all with home cast figures, partly as an excuse for having the molds, partly as an artistic challenge. Practically speaking, there's probably more individualization and detail work than is actually necessary for a mass tabletop unit, but I like to err on the extra side...

• By Beagle
      Zombies in various historical uniforms (No British uniforms of course, we're always the goodies)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/687110463/dead-through-time-28mm-undead-zombie-historical-mi?ref=discovery&term=zombie historical
    • By Rob Dean
      With my British infantry unit done, I finally sat down this morning to get started on French Revolution project expansion unit #2 (of 7+).  This time it's British cavalry, and with the rules we'll be using (A Gentleman's War), the default cavalry unit is six figures.

My recent casting sessions have produced the parts, so it's now a case of assembling them into some semblance of what I'm looking for:

I see that I will be going back to file off even more of the original lapels and lace from the basic casting, and I'm going to try to add the rest of the helmet crest with some green stuff before painting.  

I built up the first figure as a test this morning.

• Who's Online   20 Members, 1 Anonymous, 34 Guests (See full list)