hmmm...   makes you wonder if instead of sculpting the tufts the mold maker could just cut a few artfully placed vents.  

Interesting thought.  As an artist, I have no control on that.  I'll sculpt them in and hopefully this is what will happen.

• Like 5
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm doing a set of 28mm scale caracals.  They are only 7mm at the shoulder.  I think I'm going to go blind sculpting these.   (Yes, those are wine corks they are standing on.)     Have a good n

Work has been kicking my butt lately, with a lot of OT and no lunch breaks.  I had a lot less sculpting time than normal this week.  Had it been a normal week, I would be done with these by now.  As i

Finished:           Andy

Posted Images

hmmm... makes you wonder if instead of sculpting the tufts the mold maker could just cut a few artfully placed vents.

Interesting thought. As an artist, I have no control on that. I'll sculpt them in and hopefully this is what will happen.

If there were vents streaming off the ears the end user could shave them down into wispy tufts. Advanced model assembly, for sure.

The heads would kinda need to be a separate piece for that to happen. Are the heads gonna need to be separate anyway? So the nose can be pushed down into the mold and the backs of the ears can be evenly pushed into the other side...?

• Like 1

Nope, one piece minis.  That is why the heads are looking slightly to the side on each, to ensure that the ears are not inline with each other which would cause mold-lock. (Plus it makes the sculpt more dynamic).

At this size, y'all would string me up if I made you try to pin those tiny heads.

• Like 9

What's mold-lock?

Huzzah!        

--OneBoot :D

When a part locks into the mold and would prevent a figure from being removed without tearing the mold.  If you divide a figure in half, you cannot have two structures immediately across from each other across the dividing line.

• Like 5

What's mold-lock?

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

When a part locks into the mold and would prevent a figure from being removed without tearing the mold. If you divide a figure in half, you cannot have two structures immediately across from each other across the dividing line.

A pad lock is a shape familiar to almost everyone that could be used to visualize mold lock. (It has to go in the mold one way.)

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Work has been kicking my butt lately, with a lot of OT and no lunch breaks.  I had a lot less sculpting time than normal this week.  Had it been a normal week, I would be done with these by now.  As it is, I should be done tomorrow.

Bodies sculpted and detailed:

post-140-0-52346400-1479013140.jpg

Just the ear details, head touch-ups, and bases left:

post-140-0-89285200-1479013140.jpg

Andy

• Like 18
  • 5 months later...