Dragons Don't Share 2

Pochi

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Murals??

Little frescoes. Like I said, think Pompeii. So probably little garden scenes with plants, flowers, and birds. I am going to go through my photos of Pompeii and see what might look good.

Yes I know what Murals are.

I meant to say I think it is great you're doing that.

Can be awesome!

Looking forward to see that.!

• Like 1

Can be awesome!

Haha! I didn't mean it to sound like you didn't know what I was talking about. I was clarifying that they would be smaller than what I typically think of a mural. I am going to dig through all of my minis and see if I have a couple that look like they could be statues that would have stood in those niches. And for the small niche, I need a tiny "statue".

Great idea with the cork!

Maybe a few layers of MDF board for stability and to keep the cork from crumbling?

So you think with the cork sealed and with putty or something sculpted over the top for the terrain, you think the cork might still crumble?

• Like 2

Can be awesome!

Haha! I didn't mean it to sound like you didn't know what I was talking about. I was clarifying that they would be smaller than what I typically think of a mural. I am going to dig through all of my minis and see if I have a couple that look like they could be statues that would have stood in those niches. And for the small niche, I need a tiny "statue".

Since you're planning to do a Pompeii scene, buy a little set of 1:72 Romans???

Fimo/sculpy has to be baked or boiled; not sure how the cork will handle that. I might lean towards something that dry-cures.. I'unno what all the options are, though.

This is an interesting idea though, I'm interested to see what you come up with as a solution. And how it all turns out.

Yep, after looking into it I realized it has to be baked. So that's out.

I am thinking of making a mixture of glue, sand, and broken up crumbled cork and then spreading it on. I am going to try this on excess pieces first and see what happens.

Still not sure about adding something more to the bottom for 2 reasons. One, I do not have a jigsaw nor would I know how to use one if I did. And secondly, the cork is actually floor tiles which makes me think they should be pretty sturdy. I will think more on this.

I have game day today so will probably try the mixture tonight when I get home and then let it sit overnight and see what happens. In my head it will be textured and durable and I can just prime and paint over the top of it and then flock and do what I want with it. We'll see!

• Like 3

The overnight experiment was a success.

I mixed basing sand, crumbled cork, and glue to make a thick paste. If you don't use enough glue, it crumbles apart, too much glue makes it run. I spread a thin layer of glue onto the cork base to give the paste something to grab onto. I made sure to push the paste into the crevices and gently push it up against the pieces of ruins. I put parchment paper underneath so the paste could come down on the sides and not leave exposed cork. Here's hoping it peels off easily!

I then took some broken cork pieces and pushed them into the paste to look like a continuation of the broken bits of the ruins. I wish I had my Bones 3 to have my weapon sprues as I would have put a few things on the ground where the treasure cache is. Oh well!

I am pretty pleased so far so we'll see how it looks when it is dry. Oh, the reason why it is two different colors....I ran out of sand and glue so had to go buy more. They didn't have the same kind or color so it is a slightly different texture (and color obviously). Once it is primed, it won't matter! I am going to give this AT LEAST 24 hours to sit and make sure it is set and completely dry.

I am also thinking of slathering rubber cement on the bottoms of the cork tiles and then putting felt on them.

post-14071-0-72370600-1478407317_thumb.jpg

post-14071-0-93111100-1478407339_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

I invested in this exact Dragons dont share for my dad's 50th and i am planning on doing something very similar, however not as many layers, was going to do 2 layers, similar to this, but to be able to add more to the crumbled terrain, grass and charred earth, and such :) wanted it to be able to be changed depending on our adventure, so i may decide to do this a different way. However watching this grow for you, is going to be amazingly fun and is making me very excited :D 

• Like 1