Sign in to follow this  
Pochi

Dragons Don't Share 2

I painted up Aquarius and Virgo as statues. These two ladies are awesome! I didn't realize how cute they are! They made great statues and I may have to get two more to paint "normal" because they are adorable!

After cleaning mold lines and spritzing them with white primer, I gave them a basecot of P3 Menoth White Base. I then used AP Soft Tone wash and gave them an all over wash. After the wash dried, I gave them another once over with with basecoat but left the wash in the cracks to give it a little dark line and definition. I then added Menoth White to the basecoat and started glazing. I continued to add Menoth white 3 times and lightly glaze on the raised areas to brighten them. I then used straight Menoth White to highlight and to drybrush the hair and flowers.

Menoth White is kind of yellowish?

Maybe a Linen or Ivory colour from Reaper would do the same?

• Like 1

I painted up Aquarius and Virgo as statues. These two ladies are awesome! I didn't realize how cute they are! They made great statues and I may have to get two more to paint "normal" because they are adorable!

After cleaning mold lines and spritzing them with white primer, I gave them a basecot of P3 Menoth White Base. I then used AP Soft Tone wash and gave them an all over wash. After the wash dried, I gave them another once over with with basecoat but left the wash in the cracks to give it a little dark line and definition. I then added Menoth White to the basecoat and started glazing. I continued to add Menoth white 3 times and lightly glaze on the raised areas to brighten them. I then used straight Menoth White to highlight and to drybrush the hair and flowers.

Menoth White is kind of yellowish?

Maybe a Linen or Ivory colour from Reaper would do the same?

The Menoth White Base is creamy with a yellowish tint to it. Menoth White is the offwhite I use for doing eyes and highlighting. I would say Linen or Ivory would work. I wanted to keep the shadows on the statues warm and stay with the yellowish colors to match the ruins. I looked at lots of photos of statues and some had "creamy" shadows while others had grey shadows. The game stores here don't have Reaper paints so I only have the opportunity to buy them if I order or during Cancon there is a retailer who carries them.

Here are the colors under my painting lamp light and the last photo is outside under natural light.

post-14071-0-06405300-1487890416_thumb.jpg

post-14071-0-92820500-1487890442_thumb.jpg

post-14071-0-79547400-1487890456_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Found a comparison chart that suggests 'Yellowed Bone' for Menoth Base, and 'Linen White' for Menoth White Highlight'.

I may be able to experiment this weekend...

• Like 3

Found a comparison chart that suggests 'Yellowed Bone' for Menoth Base, and 'Linen White' for Menoth White Highlight'.

Link????

• Like 1

Absolutely amazing!  I am stunned!

Not to take away from the conversation but can anyone tell me how big the entire piece is?

My DDS2 is still in my pantry since it hurt my feelings, so have a can of corn for scale.

post-13371-0-95260100-1487981241_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

*comes into thread completely blind* According to Dakka Dakka's paint compatibility chart, Yellowed bone is the correct analogue for Menoth Base. Nothing is said for the Highlight, but Linen White is a logical choice.

• Like 2

Link????

Well, the DakkaDakka table has been mentioned for the base already.

But for the highlight, youdon't need to go further than...

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/51585-reaperites-i-give-you-my-colour-comparator-spreadsheet/

• Like 4

Link????

Well, the DakkaDakka table has been mentioned for the base already.

But for the highlight, youdon't need to go further than...

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/51585-reaperites-i-give-you-my-colour-comparator-spreadsheet/

That is a sweet spreadsheet. Good find, Gadgetman!

• Like 1

Ok, I looked up birds and found one that builds nests in niches and holes so it is perfect to have a nest in the ruins.

My question is, does the nest look too big for the little bird or does it look ok? The nest isn't finished being painted. That is just base coat and dark wash.

post-14071-0-62586800-1488255825_thumb.jpg

There is a slight possibility I am overthinking this! lol

• Like 8

The bird looks to be about the right size.

Ok, I will continue with it. I think I am cross-eyed from painting this tiny bird, a butterfly, and the littlest lizard you have ever seen! The bunny I painted seems enormous in comparison!

Waiting on hubbikins to get home from work because he is picking up new super glue on his way home. My super glue has turned to a gel-like consistency and takes forever to dry. However, I will keep it because I am going to experiment with it. It is easy to stretch and make glue strings and stuff since it is a weird consistency.

Thank you for your opinion!

• Like 3

The bird looks to be about the right size.

Ok, I will continue with it. I think I am cross-eyed from painting this tiny bird, a butterfly, and the littlest lizard you have ever seen! The bunny I painted seems enormous in comparison!

Waiting on hubbikins to get home from work because he is picking up new super glue on his way home. My super glue has turned to a gel-like consistency and takes forever to dry. However, I will keep it because I am going to experiment with it. It is easy to stretch and make glue strings and stuff since it is a weird consistency.

Thank you for your opinion!

Looking forward to seeing your ideas come to reality!

• Like 1

Well, that was insanity.

As I said above, I painted a bird, lizard, bunny, and butterfly. Well, trying to get them off the little bit of sprue and stuck where I wanted them was an awful experience! I glued the butterfly to my finger. I dropped the lizard probably a dozen times where he landed mostly belly up. His belly was painted white and I use paper towels to protect my table. See the problem? Probably better than I could see that *&%^&^ lizard! The bird did not think it needed to stick to the nest. It also kept jumping out of my hands but at least I could find the blue (usually) with no problem.

I had to touch up the butterfly once I finally got it stuck on. I had to completely repaint the lizard once I got it in place.

I am making sure everything is set and dry overnight and then will dulcote it in the morning and hopefully get some photos.

Anyone want to take a guess what the nest is made from?

• Like 3