Sign in to follow this  
bushido

Cosmetics...

Well, being a teenage guy, I tend to be drawn to female minis... There's a small problem, though...I don't really know how makeup should look on something this small. For instance, on most minis, I usually just paint pink lipstick with pale green eye shadow. This looks basically okay, but I feel like I'm missing something. Do the ladies out there have any advice? Does anyone know of websites or other sources I can look up?

Right now, I'm painting a drow with purplish/brown skin and pale blonde hair (think Spike from the shows Angel and Buffy: The Vampire Slayer).

Any fashion magazine should give you loads of ideas.... Then again, I'm simply assuming... not being a reader of fashion magazines... that is beyond the occassional glance at Cosmo to see what it is that guys like me really want (*insert punchline of "fortune cookie" fortune joke here*) from women. ::P:

Remember....not all women use makeup (especially if we are being lazy) If you are painting a more serious figure, you might simply want to add very subtle tones to the lips and cheeks (and perhaps the eylids). This will help to highlight those areas (which are already slightly tinted on most people) and make the figure look more feminine...but not look like a painted whore. Unless you want that look, in which case go with the bright colors, but make sure they compliment her outfit! ::D:

But really, a lot of make in real life up is not made to stand out quite so much...the whole "natural beauty" look.

I'd advise you to observe women around you. Look at their make up. Fashion magazines, which were already suggested, will also work well. I am looking at the one and only fashion magazine i own and I see lots of make up ads. You might even want to read the make up tips section of the magazine.

Good luck with your efforts:)

If you have access to a cd burner fill up an entire CD with images that you like, and put a folder in just for women's faces that you like the look of. When you have that stumper of a piece, or just want a little guidance, flip through those images until you see what it is you're looking for, and work from there.

The biggest suggestion I have? When going for anything in the realm of realism put a little of the predominant fleshtone in the cosmetic color (more or less to taste). I learned this one doing "portrait" dolls (hair, eyes, skin, make-up, etc to match photos) for one of the local high school drill teams, and when you deal with the quantity they ordered in the amount of time they wanted them (cast, prep, fire, paint & seal 35-40 8inch figures in about 6 weeks) you learn quick tricks to get a natural look, my favorite color was Ceramichrome's Dewberry Rose .... natural blush and lips with any fleshtone.

Orchid - about to go see if that color is still available! (I forgot about it until just now. :rolleyes: It's been near 12 years! ::o: )

...but not look like a painted whore.

That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. ^_^ Honestly, I've never even considered trying to paint blush before. Do you think it is important to the whole "realistic makeup" effect?

Bushido, a very soft pinking of the cheeks is all you need.... No need to go out and overdo it. I have done a few faces like this now. Not easy though :D

I'd advise you to observe women around you. Look at their make up.

I do, but they insist it's called "ogling". Go figure. :wub:

If you have access to a cd burner fill up an entire CD with images that you like

No comment. :blush:

flynn prepares for the almighty *bonk*

Yeah, my GF loves to tease me about such things...

"Were you looking at her butt?"

"Um, no. Never..."

"Well, you should. It's fantastic."

"You're baiting me."

"I guess you'll never know."

What a sassy little thing she is... ::D::lol:

"Were you looking at her butt?"

"Um, no. Never..."

"Well, you should. It's fantastic."

"You're baiting me."

"I guess you'll never know."

What a sassy little thing she is... ::D::lol:

It's a trap! Don't fall for it! :lol:

I thought it was called window shoping.....But if you are looking at their faces I think most women would consider that to be an improvement over looking at other areas ::P:

If you have access to a cd burner fill up an entire CD with images that you like

No comment. :blush:

flynn prepares for the almighty *bonk*

Yes, but then you can call it "studies," and you have to go look at all the flesh to see how the light affects that skin color or what colors to use for highlights and shoadows......

"No hun......all that anime is just for haircolors, really."

"Dear........how am I going to paint all of these Werner's without intensly studying what a lady looks like in a corset and all those buckles?"

"Yeah, the chainmail bikini is OK, but I got that one for the haircolor."

All heard by my other half. :devil:

Mixing a little red in the skin tones can create some nice rouge or blush as well...

And now for my super-top-secret-if-I-tell-you-I'll-have-to-kill-you painting tip. Instead of adding red, get yourself some nice pretty Vallejo Brown Rose. This added to whatever your base flesh color is will be PREEEEEEECISELY what you are looking for when applied.