Hi Gang,

I really didn't want to start another WIP, when I started thinking about a base for this mini.

He has frustrated me from the git-go.  (Some are just that way).  I was thinking of doing a base with

bark, and making a scene where he is standing on a cliff, getting ready to take a shot off. 

I know I can pull that off, but was thinking if there was some other way of basing him...??

Anyone have any ideas ?  No building of structures (hands aren't up to that right now.

Here is what he looks like.  The little hole in his pants is where the sword and belt get attached.

That will go on last, since I have pegged this beast five times so far, and that sword will snap as I am mounting the mini in its base.  Any Ideas?

Input appreciated,

Jay

post-12655-0-66018200-1478292281.jpg

post-12655-0-30530100-1478292282.jpg

post-12655-0-87633400-1478292282_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-48342400-1478292283_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-04541500-1478292284_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-59102300-1478292284_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Looks great!

Hmm, you don't want to build much right now..

How about something you can buy and easily convert?

I could see him standing in some ruins. ( maybe like cake pillars,Aquariium terrain?  Roman Column/ Greek pillars?) A few dead enemies lie in front of him, arrows sticking out of their bodies, he is ready for the next shot.

• Like 2

Btw Jay, I plan on making and sending you a few bases that you can use when I get into the new house and have my hobby/game room ready. I know you have difficulties with your hands sometimes so I figured it be cool to send some premade stuff your way to be able to paint and attach to your figures. ::):

• Like 3

Wow, Thank you UB3R.

You are right about the hands, they don't like the change to Winter, so control, and fine work takes much longer.

I have cork board, some green stuff, and bits and bobs.  I just thought I could make him look fantastic using bark,

and I have done the sand, flowers, and played a lot.  Just thought Why not open up pandora's box and she what

she has stored in there.  I'm not into doing a Panorama or anything like that. :unsure:

• Like 2

Do you have any old /dead plants that you can harvest their roots?

Try taking like a 1 inch ball of greenstuff, put it on 1/2 of a small wooden block, take another smaller ball about 1/3 of an inch an place on other half. Put a slightly larger piece of bark onto the block and press it gently into greenstuff so it's at about a 35-45 degree angle or so.

Then after the greenstuff cures, take a small root that looks like a tree and attach it to the highest part of the now sloping base. Black prime the whole thing and paint. Then attach the Ranger a bit below the tree facing down the "cliff" & firing at something in the distance. Add other bits of premade vegetation, make sure to add dark washes to their centers.

In the alternative of the roots, if you have any figures you're willing to spare and paint as a statue or any ruins types of bits.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 2

Wow, Thank you UB3R.

You are right about the hands, they don't like the change to Winter, so control, and fine work takes much longer.

I have cork board, some green stuff, and bits and bobs.  I just thought I could make him look fantastic using bark,

and I have done the sand, flowers, and played a lot.  Just thought Why not open up pandora's box and she what

she has stored in there.  I'm not into doing a Panorama or anything like that. :unsure:

Jay, would wearing gloves that leaves the fingers free, help a bit?

As for the basing stuff.. Look around in toy shops, aquarium scenery and such.

Also some companies make nice resin bases and scenery that can provide great settings for miniatures.

I use a lot of dried tea and herbs for bases.

Little twigs and such.

• Like 2

Thank you Xherman1964 and UB3R.

Great ideas !!!

I love the sloping surface and the roots.  I have access to a very dead Chrysanthemum plant,

with a ton of roots that look like branches !!!  Brilliant Idea.  !

Next time I am at a hobby shop I have to find their miniature area and get a pile of little goodies

to have on hand !!!  Thanks again !

• Like 1

Very cool!  Love both the figure and your colors!

I just wish there was a fighter with a bow version as well.

Exactly my thoughts.

• Like 1

I have been climbing the walls.  I thought he was done, and NO HE IS NOT.

More to be done.  I should say, at this stage in the game I am upping my skills, and attention to mini's.

This one is another climb up.  I thought he would be done last week; but that wasn't going to happen.

The cold and the time change really did me in, besides that other thing that happened.

So, now that I am recovered I have been getting more ambitious , and demanding.

Here is what he looks like now, Maybe Monday or Tuesday he will be completed!

Jay

post-12655-0-03066700-1478998321_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-54594900-1478998321.jpg

post-12655-0-06835600-1478998322.jpg

post-12655-0-57293500-1478998322_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-03925300-1478998323_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-46813100-1478998323_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-99422600-1478998323_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Looks really good!

I'd add some green tufts of grass at the edges where the bark and geeen stuff meet and maybe a little spot of colored flowers leith yellow in them. Just a tad bit so it doesn't overpower the scene and do a dark wash inside the tufts to give them more dimension.

After all that's done, make sure to paint the edges of your display plinth flat black all the way to the bottom so the wood color doesn't show. And if you're real ambitious give him a title placard or paint a title on the side.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 1