djizomdjinn

That half-scratch built assault gun diorama that's sat on the shelf for a while

Some of you may remember this.

Well, basically, I'd painted it, weathered it, everything finished... and then I said I'd sculpt crew for it. Well, that's taking too long to get acceptable results, so I ended up buying two 1/35 figurine kits.

Now, the one hugely annoying thing about scale modelling is for some reason it is basically impossible to find female combat troops. There's the occasional orderly, nurse, the not-so-occasional pinup, and strangely enough there's a lot of "the one woman in the kit getting hit on by all the men in the kit."

Which basically boiled down to, "if you want it, you have to make it." Or at least do some major modifications.

So, the base models in this kit are ICM's Soviet Servicewomen 1939-1942, which is three women in uniform screwing around except one is getting yelled at by a male officer, and Zvezda's Soviet Medical Personnel, which has one female medic cradling a dying soldier's head. Not the best starting material, but that's what creativity is for.

PXTdRYx.jpgWa0wYEl.jpgbAxGWiV.jpg

Two of the ICM models and the Zvezda medic. With some breaking of wrists and Tamiya's weapon kit, I've changed one from holding a tea kettle to a rifle, and the medic from cradling a head to holding her rifle sling. The diary writer is essentially the same, just with added kit and cradling a submachine gun.

Gi9t1WN.jpg

An unimpressed military servicewoman getting yelled at, with a simple arm flip and a flare pistol glued into her hands, becomes a tank commander. I may add headphones, we'll see.

UbWZYrv.jpg

You may have noticed that I only named four figurines, so where does this fifth one come from? The answer is an unholy kitbash of the ICM (male) officer's torso and cap, two of the Zvezda male casualties' arms, the medical satchel from the Zvezda nurse, the head from one of the Masterbox pinups I'd gotten a while back, and the legs and skirt unused from the tank commander. With a few accoutrements, she looks the part of a young courier or runner.

Edited by djizomdjinn
  • Like 9

Nice kit bashing!

Late war German Weapons????

saw Sturmgwehr, MP40, and KAR98K....

Not knowing what the original ladies looked like, can you do anything for the lady with the Sturmgwehr? the position she is holding the weapon is quite unnatural....

Thanks guys!

knarthex: Yep, broke her elbow and both her wrists again, welded back into place, filled gaps with putty. Now she looks like it's in a low ready hold.

WForUi0.jpg

Primed and base colors added.

• Like 4

Some detailing of the faces, some shading on the clothes, unit patches on their right arms. I might call it after I base the two that are walking.

tumblr_ogq7eiY34t1ubfwpqo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ogq7eiY34t1ubfwpqo3_500.jpg

tumblr_ogq7eiY34t1ubfwpqo2_500.jpgtumblr_ogq7eiY34t1ubfwpqo4_500.jpg

Edited by djizomdjinn
  • Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By GlenP
      Here's another bit of ordnance - a WW II Japanese Type 97 Shinhoto Chi Ha Tank from Tamiya. 1/35 scale, all plastic, with flexible tracks. The kit dates back to the 80s. Fairly easy cleanup and assembly. Paashe VL airbrush and Tester's Model Master, et al, paints. Colored pencils for the paint chips, scratches, abrasions, etc. Reaper acrylics for the various oil, gas, dirt, and dust stains. Finished off with chalk pastels (old school). The base is a cutup, sanded, and stained oak plank from Home Depot. Name plate from a local trophy shop.

Now everyone can join in the fun in RC's Ordnance Category.

Qs and Cs welcomed.

Glen

• By Rob Dean
      I finished up two more stands of fantasy Vikings for more portable 1/72 scale campaign set up.  These are intended as “Blades” for Hordes of the Things, so I grouped all the two-handed axes I could get out of a box each of Zvezda and Orion Vikings and possible Revell Saxons.  This puts me up to twelve bases for the ‘army’, with three to go, so I’ve got enough to swap the order of battle around a little bit between games.

• By kristof65
      This will be the last of my experiments, at least until the Grey Ooze in Bones IV is released in retail.  First off, as it appeared in the Burning Sphere ones - the Orange translucents are not as friendly to the Tamiya Clears as the other colors.  Also, I didn't do a full color range test with this one. The only reason I did it is my FLGS had one in stock when I was there on Saturday.

Again, I'll start off with untouched:

The three of these here are part of my original experiments with Tamiya Clears a couple years back. I'm showing them all together, because I honestly don't remember which was painted with which.  I'm not sure if there is one of each - Yellow, Orange and Red, or if I did one in Orange, and two in Red.  The Red, Yellow and Orange clears do work fairly well with the orange Bones - I used them to tint my large fire elementals originally.  But the tinting is subtle. 

Since I only had the one untouched figure to experiment with, I chose to see what the blue would do with it. Not real pleased with the results:

It doesn't really retain the translucence, unless you hold it up to the light, in which case I ended up with a sort of purple splotchiness. I tried to get a shot of that, but it doesn't show up on the camera very well:

Assessment of Tamiya Clears and the orange translucents - you're not going to get the nice color changing effects that the clear, green and purple Bones get.  Stick with the Red, Orange and Yellow Tamiya Clears for these Bones. 
    • By kristof65
      Next up in my Tamiya Clears experiments - the Green.  The Green behaves much like the purple does, meaning that the clears can almost completely recolor it, if the piece is thin enough. 

First up, untouched:

With the Clear Gloss. Again, it really brings out the translucence:

With the Smoke. Out of all the colors I've tested so far, the smoke works best on the green.  

With the Green:

With the Red:

With the orange:

With the Yellow.   This one seems to have the hardest time with the green:

With the blue:

And all of them together:

• By kristof65
      This one is cool, IMO. Ever wished that Shadow Demon came in a different color than Purple? 

Once again, presenting my experiments with translucent Bones and Tamiya Clears. 

Warning Pic Heavy
      First off, an untouched Shadow Demon:

With Tamiya Clear Gloss:

Untouched next to the one with the clear gloss:

Tamiya Clear Red:

Tamiya Clear Orange:

Tamiya Clear Yellow:

Tamiya Clear Green:

Tamiya Clear Blue:

Tamiya Clear Smoke:

All of them, in all their glory:

As you can see, the Tamiya clears can actually change the color while maintaining the translucency on the smaller and thinner parts.  The only one that doesn't do this to the same degree as the others is the Smoke.

Hope people find this useful. 
  • Who's Online   11 Members, 0 Anonymous, 49 Guests (See full list)