Kingdom Death: Monster 2

SamuraiJack

I dropped out of the first Kickstarter; I just didn't think the game seemed all that fun, it was a big unknown how the plastic would turn out etc etc. But now everyone is saying how amazingly fun the game is, and it's drawn me back in. I'm sitting on one of the $300 EB's for now.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I backed the first kickstarter, but then dropped out. Then got the game through one of the black Friday sales. I have never played the game, but the components were all super nice. Even the box itself was a work of art. Ultimately though the minis drove me insane. The armor kits were far beyond me. Super quality but super complex. I assembled the base game minis... meaning the starting survivors and the named heroes and monsters. For the most part these were all ok. I may have assembled one wrong but still managed to look nice. The armor kits though... I have assembled 2. Despite my efforts they do not look good... very stiff, and unnatural looking and even that was pretty painful. I have used some of the heads and weapons on some Age of Sigmar Stormcast, which scaled pretty nicely.

So, I ended up selling the armor kits and the rules/cards/dice etc. I kept the heroes, the monsters and the board... (which the board was very nice).

Now I am back. But I only want the pinups... or rather some of them. The screaming god pin-up is incredible. I am envisioning a druid or some manner of shapechanging character for pathfinder. I anxiously await more like her...

Agreed.  I "may" drop the Gambler's chest in favor of a couple expansions... 

I'm liking the 1.5 changelog additions more than the gambler's chest.

Really, really like the Last Axeman Standing mini though...  And the optional rules in the Scouts of death and Philosophy of Death are tempting...  But as of now, the money's better spent on expansions. 

I may drop my base game pledge and stick with the gamblers box and add ons.. not that it will save me any money.. still hoping we might be a mini free version later on

There won't be. Adam has stated as much in the comments.  To him the minis are as much a part of the narritive and world building as all the other art and fluff text and so he won't strip them out.

I don't get it. What's the appeal of this game? It looks like some kind of elitist or boutique miniatures game 100 times more-so than GW, I mean the cost isn't just expensive its disgustingly expensive. I'm looking at the pledges and I don't even clearly understand what I'm getting in a pledge, do I really have to blow 1-2 grand on this to get the full game experience? Is there just 1 game board? Is that all the miniatures in the game so far or is there a hundred or so the the creator assumes everyone knows about already and didn't show them.

What am I missing here, I don't understand this kickstarter or it's popularity.

I don't get it. What's the appeal of this game? It looks like some kind of elitist or boutique miniatures game 100 times more-so than GW, I mean the cost isn't just expensive its disgustingly expensive. I'm looking at the pledges and I don't even clearly understand what I'm getting in a pledge, do I really have to blow 1-2 grand on this to get the full game experience? Is there just 1 game board? Is that all the miniatures in the game so far or is there a hundred or so the the creator assumes everyone knows about already and didn't show them.

What am I missing here, I don't understand this kickstarter or it's popularity.

Below is what https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/55690/kingdom-death-monsterhas to say

Kingdom Death: Monster is a fully cooperative tabletop hobby game experience. Set in a unique nightmarish world devoid of most natural resources, you control a settlement at the dawn of its existence. Fight monsters, craft weapons and gear, and develop your settlement to ensure your survival from generation to generation.

Campaign System

Embark alone or with up to 4 friends (6 with game variant) on a 25-lantern-year campaign, with each year consisting of a cycle of hunt, showdown, and settlement phases. The settlement phase is an intricate civilization building game in which you spend very limited resources to build buildings, research new technologies, train your warriors, and set up your strategy for survival. During the hunt, you'll encounter a series of stories in a "choose your own adventure" style journey through various events and encounters. Finally, when you meet the monster you're pursuing, you'll engage it in an a massive arena-style battle where only one party is going to survive. If your party lives, you'll be able to bring the spoils back home to use in expanding your settlement.

Kingdom Death has done four KS and they hit a nerve and did quite well during their 3rd KS for the original Kingdom Death: Monster so it seams they are enjoying a large group of backers who want to get in on the 1.5 action.

While I do not care for the art or mini style as it just seams a little to intentionally forbidden fruit for my liking many people here love the gratuitously gruesome and overly sexualized style.  More power to them and Kingdom Death.

I might like the game if I played it based on its survivors in a hostile land premise but the art and mini style would still not be what I would choose.    

Edited by kodiakbear

The appeal for me is that the game is absolutely unique in it's design, presentation, and execution.  Nothing else plays or looks like it.  And it makes absolutely no apologies for having the potential to be positively deadly right out of the gates.  It's over the top, it's completely ludicrous, and utterly brilliant!  That's what has me and so many others completely enthralled with the world Adam has created.  There is lore to everything.  Every decision has consequences (and even things you don't always decide have consequences).  If you like the style of the minis (which I do), then they are absolutely top-notch (but I agree can be really fiddly to assemble).

At the end of the day, it's just a game - and a very expensive one.  But the creator's passion for his brand shines through in absolutely every aspect of it.  And for the price of the base game, you will get MANY hours of gameplay.  And each campaign will end up being unique just by some of the random nature of events as well as the decisions you do make.  The expansions add varying degrees of content.  But the Dragon King adds another complete campaign, so effectively doubles the replayability.

Is this a game for everyone?  Absolutely not.  But it strikes a real chord with me and I currently have the means to get it all (since I sold all my first edition stuff earlier this week) and I wants it!  :-)

• Like 5

From a money standpoint, its no more ridiculous than GW or privateer press.  consider what the cost of a 1000 point army is for 4 players.  even scraping the bottom of the barrel in the used market you are still talking 100-250 an army times 4.  so cost-wise its about the same. 

Gaming wise, although I am not a fan of some of the art, I cannot deny that the stuff is exquisite and from what I have heard and seen the game itself is very well thought out and well put together.  I do like the survival motif and the whole settlement development portion of the game intrigues me.  Finally the showmanship during the actual kickstarter has been a show worth watching and I think Andy has done a great job creating a 40 day show to sell and help provide atmosphere to his game.

Guess it falls to if you like it, cool;  but it may not be your thing.  Cost wise its no more than any army type miniature game and availability wise, its going to be a lot harder to try out than any of those.  For me, I have the disposable income and would like to see the game, although there are a lot of the expansions I am not interested in because of the artwork, I find the investment worth it to me. 

Finally, I think this time we might at least see the base game by sometime next year, which makes it a reasonable wait for me.

this is just my 2 cents.  other viewpoints may differ.

Roo

• Like 4

So, I went in on the first Kickstarter because I loved the look of the minis and had a project going well at work that gave me the "extra" money to spend on a new game by an unknown-to-me company. the only thing I knew about Kingdom Death at the time was that one of my favorite minis that Marike Reimer painted was the KD Twilight Knight.

The presentation of the game and the artwork shows looked fantastic, and I knew my game group was all about tactical group combat and the survival mechanic with pooled settlement resources sounded good. Even the huge collection of charts to roll on appeals the a fair part of my group.

My group ate this up, to the point that two of the couple are now each going in on the new Kickstarter. Even though one of them almost rage quit when his favorite hero got Murdered in the settlement event, and then the whole party wiped fighting the Kingsman. All in the same settlement phase.

So yeah, the game is expensive, and the armor kits are unnecessarily complicated and involved for a game like this. But I've enjoyed building out all the monsters (even as I cursed the Phoenix and the 30 different tiny hands to glue on). And I've got players asking "Can we come over and play this?" in the middle of the week.

Yeah, the game is that awesome in my opinion. And the Kickstarter is a lot of fun, so I'll have to roll daily will saves not to pick up everything.

• Like 1

Now this is getting silly..

Poot accidently opens up a new 1666 pledge level with no listed rewards and 3 people jumped on it.  

He then opened up a new satan's level (all the toys!)for the same price, but couldn't get the people to switch over.

Now he is keeping both levels and says he will add more slots (at random internals) to the "mystery" level.

• Like 3