Kingdom Death: Monster 2

SamuraiJack

I dropped out of the first Kickstarter; I just didn't think the game seemed all that fun, it was a big unknown how the plastic would turn out etc etc. But now everyone is saying how amazingly fun the game is, and it's drawn me back in. I'm sitting on one of the $300 EB's for now.

This is me. Although, I would honestly take a $200 EB instead, if one opened.

• Like 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get it. What's the appeal of this game? It looks like some kind of elitist or boutique miniatures game 100 times more-so than GW, I mean the cost isn't just expensive its disgustingly expensive. I'm looking at the pledges and I don't even clearly understand what I'm getting in a pledge, do I really have to blow 1-2 grand on this to get the full game experience? Is there just 1 game board? Is that all the miniatures in the game so far or is there a hundred or so the the creator assumes everyone knows about already and didn't show them.

What am I missing here, I don't understand this kickstarter or it's popularity.

The game itself (the $250 pledge) is very good and has no need for any of the extra expansions unless you play it a very large number of hours. It's also very big. The minis get a lot of focus as to why it's so expensive, but the board size along with amount of cards, tokens, and pieces of artwork commissioned are making up a large chunk of the price. The base game comes with over 1000 cards of a higher than average quality. 

It looks like some kind of elitist or boutique miniatures game

Yes. But it's also an extremely good board game.

many people here love the gratuitously gruesome and overly sexualized style.

While I do enjoy gruesome and/or sexual themes (along with many other kinds of themes!), KD's game miniatures are almost never sexualized. The pinups and promos, sure. But they're not game content.

I'm with Dan. It appeals to me not just in aesthetic (and this from someone who doesn't care for anime, which it's almost entirely based on), but for Adam's purist ethic and his willingness to literally put his money where his mouth is to ensure a superior product.

• Like 4

He has at least kept the overly gruesome AND sexualized parts out of the game.   Somehow I hadn't noticed he was doing it on purpose.  It seems obvious now. 

But they are associated with it and some may come with cards to play.

I don't mind the pinups, its some of the monsters that cross my lines. 

But the rest of the monsters range from decent to amazing. Nothing else in my collection matches the for the rampant gruesome weirdness, and I cant wait to paint them. 

I wasn't trusting enough to accept anything he put out, and picked up a Lantern EB (200) So I could just get the basic game.  Then pick and choose. 

I added the Nightmare Ram expansion, lots of content, plus my favorite monster of the set. 

I might add the Dragon King or Gorm expansion depending how wealthy I am feeling after Christmas. 

decent monsters and the best-likde expansions of the game according to the poll I put up in a Facebook group. (by Lanterns Light) 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 2

I'm looking at this pretty much exactly like you Evilhalfling. Some of the monsters are a little outside my comfort zone so I'm sticking to the ones with less genital exposure. I also have a $200 BF Lantern (downgraded from the BF Gold Lantern) and have added for the Dragon King & Dung Beetle Knight Expansions so far. I'm hoping to add Gorm and maybe the Lion Knight for some humor. 

I'm not sure about adding any of the new expansions yet. Maybe in the PM. The Ram looks promising and the Screaming God has so many great figures. I'm still waiting to see the Ringtail Fox expansion. I get a pretty big penalty to my will save when confronted with kitsune. 

e2618bbbc684bed8712ec852bc4ef1bc_origina

• Like 3

I'm sticking to the ones with less genital exposure....I'm hoping to add Gorm and maybe the Lion Knight for some humor.

FYI the Gorm has a vagina for a throat. You can paint it to be barely noticeable, but in case you didn't realize it...

:blink:

Truth be told I did not know that. I thought it was just some kind of giant elephant / humanoid baby / predator-mouth / angler fisg monster. Should've known better. There aren't too many safe bets in KD but unusual genital appearance is a good one. Paint may be the answer. Guess I'm still going to get it. I'll just have to start it with some Vallejo German Red Tail Light or Hull Red and go real light on any highlights for that part. I feel a little odd about the blood effects I was planning. I'm probably not ready for this.  :wacko:

Thank you for the heads up. This is going to be a solo-only game but I'm really trying to limit the minis that I'd want to keep out of view from the kids. 

Oh, the Bowmaster and Bloody Sword are sweet!

• Like 2

I'm looking at this pretty much exactly like you Evilhalfling. Some of the monsters are a little outside my comfort zone so I'm sticking to the ones with less genital exposure. I also have a $200 BF Lantern (downgraded from the BF Gold Lantern) and have added for the Dragon King & Dung Beetle Knight Expansions so far. I'm hoping to add Gorm and maybe the Lion Knight for some humor.

I have actually not noticed any exposed genitals in any of the expansions except maybe the one suspicious tentacle on the sunstalker.

Unless you  count the goddiva hair on some of the couple of topless women.

The Lion knight IS funny, he is so delightfully hammy.

And as an added bonus you get the role survivors for free if you pledge for the knight.

Love the narrative figures - while I do like the armor set figures from the 1st Kickstarter I have found it difficult to build them in effective and dynamic poses. 

As far as naughty-bits on monsters, the Sunstalker, Lion God and Gorm seem to be the worst offenders so far in the game though modifying them to hide those bits should be pretty easy to do 

As far as naughty-bits on monsters, the Sunstalker, Lion God and Gorm seem to be the worst offenders so far in the game though modifying them to hide those bits should be pretty easy to do 

I have no problem with genitals, I think everyone should have some

• Like 5

I'm pledged on this at the $200 level right now. I got in mostly because of the hype, to be honest, and the fact that there are so many reviews stating this is the best game ever. I'm not really keen on assembling the minis, but I'm hoping that I can convince a couple of the craftier guys in my group to do that.

Can someone give me a quick rundown on what the Armor Kits and Narrative Figures do? I'll be debating up until the end as to whether or not I add the Gambler's Box.

I have no problem with genitals, I think everyone should have some

cant argue that... only on the two of the monsters I mention I just wish those bits werent quite so, um, "out there" if you get me

Hestis - regarding the armor kits, they are modular sprues of bits that assemble into four miniatures - there are a ton of option parts, weapons, helms, faces, hair, shields etc - basically you can build about any gear you get in the game into a miniature. Plus the different sets are somewhat integrated with each other - for instance you can take parts from the "Lion Fur" armor set like say a chest piece and use the legs/leggins from the "rawhide" armor set and get unique combinations. I found them interesting and fun to experiment with but maybe not as dynamically pose-able as I would like?

The narrative miniatures, from what I can see, simply depict a survivor in a specific armor set in a very "action" pose - I expect they will be fewer parts than the armor set figures, probably easier to assemble. Given they will be plastic they also should be pretty easy to customize or modify with the bits from the armor sets if you so choose.

• Like 4