Kingdom Death: Monster 2

SamuraiJack

I am not totally against the Gambler's Chest. I just am not sure how much I will be able to justify being able to spend on a game the month after Christmas. Plus the $300 level is the same price as the $200 level with the add on. That means the $200 pledge is mpre flexible.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People get awfully cranky, don't they? 

Honestly, I don't care for the Satan minis, so I'm perfectly happy not getting them.  Some of the KD stuff is waaaay to much for me.  Well, a lot of it is.  Maybe most.  I should probably go apologize to the Good Lord just for looking at some of it.  But I'm willing to paint the pinups 'cause they're a good exercise in skin.  And if I ever get around to posting again on CMON they'll clearly get marked up for the sexy factor.  Sigh.

I like the idea of the narrative sculpts.  The more dynamic posing works for me. the only thing I've had a hard time with is the faces.  I wish the sculptors would consider increasing the head to body ratio to ease in painting.  they're way larger than 28mm, but the eyes are from ye Sandra Garrity era and much harder to paint than a lot of my reaper minis.  I like getting detail in eyes, so it's irritating to have to simplify.

• Like 1

Well... there is a chance they might come before 2020 right? ::(: ... right?

Anyway, I am in for the $5. I really only want the screaming god armor pinup right now... So $5 +$15 +$20 shipping, +2 per add on? There may be more stuff that comes along... and who knows I may even have some money to get it... Also maybe there will be the chance to get my wife angrier at me in the pledge manager...

Tempted by some stuff in the 1.5 update box, and tempted by some stuff in the gamblers box...

As far as the Satan Twins. I have the one with the sausage skirt... though I painted mine gold as a spilnt mail type deal... And don't judge but I bout from a recaster...

from the comments  section: 

nikie:

@adam will we get another year 1 monster 

also will we get some more truly disturbing monsters?

reply:

@nikie  yes and YES! 

I am exited by a new year 1 monster.  hopefully with less exposed genitalia 

and also waiting for the ring tailed-fox people expansion.  

- rumored to be built around an underground settlement, with tunneling needed to expand your base. 

(If they are one and the same, that will be my second must have expansion) 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 1

from the comments  section: 

nikie:

@adam will we get another year 1 monster 

also will we get some more truly disturbing monsters?

reply:

@nikie  yes and YES! 

I am exited by a new year 1 monster.  hopefully with less exposed genitalia 

and also waiting for the ring tailed-fox people expansion.  

- rumored to be built around an underground settlement, with tunneling needed to expand your base. 

(If they are one and the same, that will be my second must have expansion) 

Here's a link to update 96 from the first Kingdom Death kickstarter. It has the only info I know of about the proposed Ringtail Fox set. It has the image of the survivors with one tantalizing sentence. â™¡â€¿â™¡

• Like 1

So, out of general curiosity and sheer wonder at the size of this KS, what exactly is the appeal of KD? When you're looking at around $300 just for a base game that's expected to get shipped 4 years down the line, to someone who isn't familiar with the game at all it seems like a lot of people have gone totally bonkers.

Edited by Unruly

So, out of general curiosity and sheer wonder at the size of this KS, what exactly is the appeal of KD? When you're looking at around $300 just for a base game that's expected to get shipped 4 years down the line, to someone who isn't familiar with the game at all it seems like a lot of people have gone totally bonkers.

It's just that good of a game that a lot of people who wanted missed being able to get during it's first print run of 10,000 copies because they sold out very quickly. It's supposed to ship in around 7 months rather than 4 years.

A noob's personal reasoning.

First off, some of the game components are already in production so the core game actually is scheduled to ship next year. The Gambler's Box, Promos, cross-over figures and hopefully the existing expansions should ship in two years or so. The new expansions are slated to ship the following year (2019). Perhaps big extras, very late additions or anything that isn't up to the creator's standards could take extra time and not be ready for release for four years. This is basically the creators worse case scenario. Most things were looking like they could be made sooner than that estimate, but so many backer are pledging for so many things that it may well be late. Although, late is a relative thing. It could deliver late relative to the estimates, but whenever it delivers will still be the earliest anyone will be able to get the new version of the game and it's expansions. That will still be sooner relative to retail. Yes it's a long wait for everything but also first in line for everything backed.

As to why it's so popular. Many people who have the game seem to enjoy it so there's word of mouth. Other people just love the figures. Beautiful pictures of painted KD minis are all over gaming forums and many have won awards at painting competitions, so inspiration to paint the minis drives a lot of the popularity. These backers have little to no interest in the game and only want certain models to paint and display. Also, the game has such a unique setting, look and style... it's confrontationally uncompromising in the presentation of it's setting. That can have a strong fascination-based appeal for many gamers. Everything from the in game hazards, to the art, many of the the sculpts, the stories, and the lore go beyond what other publishers have dared to try in any other board game. Some expansions give players the option to go extra dark. Pin-ups give backers the chance to paint sexy figures. They're very popular with many painters and very unpopular with many gamers. Some like it all.

Personally, I've never seen a single part of the game but I've been dying to paint some of the minis for a long time. The more I read about the game the more the setting, lore and mechanics intrigue me. It has generational play coupled with the civilization building. Really looking forward to that. It has location damage and injury for monsters and survivors, a modular story that changes heavily with some expansions, resource management, weapon and armor crafting, solid solo play, serious dangers in many of the game sequences (not just from monsters), storytelling, random instant meaningless deaths, glorious thrilling death moments, and slow decline from injury or madness coupled with growing strength and power. I don't have most of these game elements in any of the board games I own. That has an appeal.

The clincher is, if I decide that I hate the game, I can almost certainly sell it without much, if any loss. If the game is not my thing I can still enjoy the minis, which I know I want, and be happy with the satisfaction of painting them. I'm not going anywhere near "all in". I'm getting the game and a few expansions. I'll probably add a bit more in the PM if possible but nothing crazy. Also trying to skip over most of the overt genital flashing monsters, the very difficult to defeat monsters, and the less popular ones. Just sticking to the hits. Dragon King, Gorm, Dung Beetle Knight and probably the Lion Knight. That's 1 campaign overhaul, 2 quarry monsters, 1 nemesis, and hopefully whatever the Ringtail Fox set ends up as. The new stuff could be better than the old stuff, but nobody really knows yet. Again, just the hits + foxes... because kitsune. 

These are just my hype driven (probably wrong!) impressions. I came here mostly for the minis but found a compelling game world. I hope the game is enjoyable. I really hope I can experience an interesting story driven game. Otherwise, minis! If anything I'm saying is wrong perhaps a kind current owner of the game can point it out. I don't want to go into this for unfounded reasons either. It's pretty complicated for a noob like me.

• Like 3

I find the game builds on the popularity of other cooperative boardgames out there right now.  From Pandemic, Zombicide, Dead of Winter (ok mostly cooperative..), Forbidden Desert & Isle, Eldritch Horror, these all pit game against players but, other than the more recent "Pandemic Legacy", the story wound down as soon as the game was over, win or loose. Zombicide's attempts at campaign play didn't really work other than ensuring that you end up playing the last couple missions on Red threat level all the way through.  Some are mini based, most are not.  Now, if you and your group don't enjoy loosing Pandemic 1 turn away from curing the final disease or running out of sand tiles in Forbidden Desert when the last player is almost to the ship, then KD is not for you.  

And then comes KD...  I blindly back the first Kickstarter (my largest pledge, likely ever...) and got most of the expansions and the base game.  I was presented with a cooperative game in a distinct world with the promise of a good AI for monsters AND the longevity of a full campaign where the civilization could grow and fall through the exploration of the dangerous world.  And on top of it, it's populated by minis that I had been lusting over on the KD site long before they became a game.  And that promise was delivered.  We are on our third campaign (Dragon this time) and while our first didn't last past year 7 and the second one didn't do much better, we're now nearing year 18 of the Dragon campaign and I fear it's going to all come crashing down soon...  And that's ok!  We've hunted the lion, Gorm and Pheonix, lost our strongest survivor to the murderous rage of our now lunatic-in-chief and it's been a blast!  The game cards are wonderful, only 1 art asset was used more than once (twice...), the board is great for immersion...  So even the weaker sides of the game (hunt track and events, armor sets...) are non-issues with the rest of the game.  

My group of gamers have been playing games since 2nd Ed D&D over 20 years ago and we've gone through all the editions of D&D, all the boardgames and more listed above, Cypher, Shadowrun, Rifts, Rolemaster,etc...  And KD, other than for one player who finds it too complicated, is the favorite.  I've only got a small amount in for this KS due to other financial pressures and saving some pennies for the next Bones KS but we're looking forward to the updated rules and the gambler's chest!

• Like 8