Kingdom Death: Monster 2

SamuraiJack

The drama is over the Gambler's Chest and it seems to me that those complaints are coming from people who are only interested in gameplay and not painting miniatures, so every time the GC is updated with a pin-up, they get upset because it's not something that they want but they can't opt out of it and see it as a waste when they could have gotten something that they did want.

While everything else you said was correct the pinups are not part of the gamblers chest.  You might have mixed up the narrative sculpts with these.

I have several friends backing and they're really hoping gamblers adds new monsters as that's what a lot of people want -- not realizing how expensive that actually is vs just a simple human miniature -- and so they're torn between the good deal total miniature wise the chest is vs actual gameplay stuff.  Since they're pledged at the regular $250 level and added $100 for the chest (as it is an add on) they may just drop the chest for expansions.

I'm in the group that's unhappy with all the pinups, I've got the $777 level, but there's so much time left I'm just sitting back waiting to see if it's worth it to me.  Which would mean about $400 worth of expansions or so as the pinups hold little value. On the other hand I love what's in the chest and would add an extra one to my pledge if Poots allowed it.

• Like 2

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The drama is over the Gambler's Chest and it seems to me that those complaints are coming from people who are only interested in gameplay and not painting miniatures, so every time the GC is updated with a pin-up, they get upset because it's not something that they want but they can't opt out of it and see it as a waste when they could have gotten something that they did want.

While everything else you said was correct the pinups are not part of the gamblers chest.  You might have mixed up the narrative sculpts with these.

Yes, exactly that.

I'm honestly not tracking what's available in what since I have a Satan pledge and get everything no matter which spot it's put in.

So basically the GC overall complaint boils down to too much painter value and not enough gameplay value. Which still doesn't make any sense to me, but my bias runs about 70% painting interest and 30% gameplay interest, so of course it's not going to make sense to me.

• Like 1

I wonder if it would help at all if he explained in an update (not just in comments) if very large bold text that none of the rolls are effecting the contents of the gamblers chest beyond the order things are being revealed in. He's already said it a few time, but not in an update using extremely plain language and big letters.

I'm hoping it will have a fair bit more game content as well, but I think it will be there by the time the kickstarter is done. I have a feeling there will even be at least one monster that will be revealed on the double lantern.

• Like 1

Personally I have liked what I am seeing.  About the only new things that I see that are hit and miss are the pinups. (love the male models, the females are too overburdened for my taste) but since they can be added on individually, it works out perfect!  What I still dont understand are the ones who complain about the game.  If you dont like it, don't buy it.  It really is that simple.  Many times I think what is going on is people are trying to get as much as they can to resell and "turn a profit" which also makes very little sense to me but that is a different story.

In short I am very pleased with the project, more so than I thought I would be and I am loving his presentation.  I do hope that he is able to meet the unexpected demand without too many delays, but other than that, more power to him and his team!

• Like 4

I wonder if it would help at all if he explained in an update (not just in comments) if very large bold text that none of the rolls are effecting the contents of the gamblers chest beyond the order things are being revealed in. He's already said it a few time, but not in an update using extremely plain language and big letters.

I'm hoping it will have a fair bit more game content as well, but I think it will be there by the time the kickstarter is done. I have a feeling there will even be at least one monster that will be revealed on the double lantern.

He did that, in the first Update. I like the way Poots is doing this kickstarter and the updates just give me more entertainment along the way. 

I went back and looked at the updates, the pin ups are included in the BF Gamblers lantern  pledges.

Edited by crystella333
  • Like 2

I honestly don't know what's wrong with the backers this time 'round. The comments section rapidly became so hostile and poisonous that I was completely put off even trying to read it. I've noticed that trend in a few other projects too. Mostly recent ones.

I like the idea of survivor corpse models that can be interacted with during showdowns. A survivor who is knocked back across a corpse could trip up and fall down. Items could be recovered, a corpse could be dragged away to free up vital squares (or loot in safety). There are a lot of possibilities here.

• Like 3

I tried to tell people in the comments last night that the update was a reference to the Settlement Murder Event and we didn't actually loose anything. It was all done in fun. People kept saying that nobody really knew that for sure and supporters who enjoyed the update were sheep. Ugh. Then today he comes on and says nothing was lost and it was just for fun. 

Still not backing, as it still isn't something I'd like, but with the KS at over SEVEN MILLION, he could tell off quite a few backers and not even notice.

Not a good idea. I know that Poots stirs up a lot of arguments with his updates, but I don't think he has ever done it to be mean. The guy just has a twisted sense of humor. That's my favorite thing about the campaign. Not everybody likes that. Telling off the people who don't understand his humor, or don't get the game references would be hella rude. Some of us love that he's so damn twisted but it also a credit to his character that he's never ugly. 

He actually kinda reminds me of Herman Munster. A kindhearted monster who invites you to eat at his spooky house, but every time he tries to do something funny people scream and panic. He's never mean but the villagers still light their torches when he answers the door. 

• Like 5

I'm sitting on a 777 pledge and might be dropping down. 

I love some of the stuff & don't love some other stuff.

We'll see.  

I'll certainly be pledging for the: 

* updated version/upgrade, the gamblers chest + 1st survivors: $195 level

* boy pinups: 15 * 3

expansions? depends what grabs my fancy.

Right now I don't love enough that I'm certain I'm going to stay as high as I am.  But thats me and my tastes.  Nothing to do with Poots.  He's being true to his visions!

• Like 3

Ok, the male pinups remind me of Man Faye in all the right ways.

You know, I got the first set at retail/ebay.  I don't see why I need to get everything now.  At the moment, I'm in for the upgrade (love the Gold Smoke Knight).  I'm sold on a lot of the other things as well, but I'm cool waiting for them to show up in the store.

Especially the Frog Dog.  I need that mini to fight my Chibi survivors.

I'm in the group that's unhappy with all the pinups, I've got the $777 level, but there's so much time left I'm just sitting back waiting to see if it's worth it to me.  Which would mean about $400 worth of expansions or so as the pinups hold little value. On the other hand I love what's in the chest and would add an extra one to my pledge if Poots allowed it.

The chest looks cool to me- those minis look great.  Of course, the gameplay element is there, just smaller.  What he's doing is essentially a large pack of 'narrative sculpts' like Fade, Before the Wall and Percival- just packaged all together for the Kickstarter.  They'll add new gameplay elements (like Fade's quest to rescue the baby).  With so many of them, there will end up being quite a lot of new things you can do with the chest.

Personally, I find it impressive that people are freaking out, but I guess I don't know what Kickstarter would be like without any freaking out.  I mean, I can totally see why someone would rather add a couple expansions instead of picking up a gambler's chest- I just don't see how that's any sort of problem for them to then do so.  

• Like 3

We still have almost a month left kay, I'd suggest hanging in till much later, odds are if you drop and want it back, you're gonna have a rough time doing so

Yup.  I know.  I'm planning to wait till the last week or so before deciding.

Realistically there is $300 in the pledge now that I "need" to ensure I get.

Edited by kay13
  • Like 1

I can totally see why someone would rather add a couple expansions instead of picking up a gambler's chest- I just don't see how that's any sort of problem for them to then do so.  

I agree for the most part, The problem seems to be because some backers chose the BF Gold Lantern pledge level based on Poots early insistence that the Gambler's Chest would be pretty much the best value add-on in the campaign. During the initial BF pledge rush the only way to get the Gambler's chest was to have it included in your pledge level, so backers flooded the BF Gold Lantern. When Poots later made the Chest a $100 add on, BF Gold Lantern backers felt a little trapped. With that one change, the normal BF Lantern level turned out to be the more flexible option, but by that time it was too late for most backers to switch. They all appreciate the $50 savings off of the core game for backing early, but now some don't like the Chest contents. They want to drop the chest but they would have to give up their Black Friday discount. Hence, the discord. 

I'm not rationalizing any of the horrible behavior in the KS comments. Just explaining one of points that a few cogent backers have brought up about the Gambler's Chest for anyone who may have missed it. I'm a BF Lantern backer so it doesn't even apply to me. 

• Like 1

Poots is back in the comments addressing some of the complaints about the chest.

There is a lot in the GC that is in the "pitched content" zone. That's why there is no formalized list of assets. To me, its already looking like 100+ cards and a 30ish page rulebook!

I honestly don't know what to say. Two new game systems, an advanced rulebook... I think perhaps because the mini's are more visual people are kind of missing just how much that is and were not even done!

• Like 2

I figure the GC is still a long ways from completion, and have no doubts poots has many somethings up his sleeve for it still

Yep. The best things may still be on the way. It wouldn't be the first time that concerned backers would have to eat their hat. 

Not sure that I'll be able to add the G'sC even if it turns out great unless we get an add-on option in the PM. I'm rock solid on the Dragon King & Gorm with the Dung Beetle Knight and Lion Knight close on their heels. That has me tapped out. 

• Like 1