Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiJack

Kingdom Death: Monster 2

They all sound very solid choices,

the Gamblers chest is actually a lot more than just the narrative sculpts as you've also got a bunch of advanced rules & Atnas the nemesis monster, its also going to be one of the hardest to get outside the KS (if its even possible, and even if it is will be a lot more expensive for sure)

the dragon king's campaign does feel pretty different to the normal one and you'll need to change up your playstyle to fit it which is good (it's also an existing expansion so it will arrive sooner rather than later) the mini is also huge and very cool

Gorm, as you say an alternative to the white lion with some cool rules (although Gorm Weather sucks) and again an existing expansion so it will arrive soon

the three knights, all are fun, the flower knight is probably my pick of the bunch and its people of the bloom offers another alternate play experience (not as big a change as the dragon king though),

Dung beetle knight is a challenging quarry and farming introduced in it may well be boosted with some of the advanced stuff from the gamblers chest, the

lion knight is a bit more whimsical but I think the change in mood really helps  and some of the rewards you can get are pretty cool (its also the only expansion the change with the reprint, adding 4 extra minis compared to the one I got with the first KS which boosts the value if you paint)

Stone face bases the base game includes some 30mm ones (10 if memory serves) so if you want more or if you want the larger sizes for the monsters it will be worth getting some (personally I'd get one or two packs at most then do some press moulding and sculpting to make any more I needed, especially as you'll probably only paint up and base the monsters and a few survivor choices rather than everything all at ones)

• Like 5

I don't have my copy yet but... 

I am not sure my RPG group will be up for playing this game on a regular basis and I my board gamer friends tend to meet every 2 months..

So I was considering an alternative to solo play - running an epic game at a convention - 

signing up for 6 hrs a day at a convention, and just rotating through players. 

I would be doing this at one of the Denver cons btw.. 

What do you think?  Would it be fun? could new players learn enough to make the later year hunts doable?

Hopefully some of the people signing up would own the game as well. 

It should work fine (although I'd advise you to have played enough solo to understand what's going on rule wise),

If you've not seen them already Beasts of War have done a series of vidoes of them playing through several hunts with an experienced GM in just that fashion (I'll PM you the link as BoW probably counts as a commercial link)

7 hours ago, Carnacki the Ghost Finder said:

Well I think I need to make some decisions this weekend.  All of your praise for this game finally got me interested.

I'd be grateful to those in the know for some advice/clarification.  SO much info around this game it spins my head.

I am in for the base game 1.5 and considering the following:

Gambler's Chest -- I can get one for $100.  As I understand the narrative sculpts are easier to assemble characters at different points in the game?  I just want to make sure there is a lot of playable content in the box.

Dragon King -- a whole other campaign?  So a lot of playability?

Gorm -- a level one monster to provide an alternative to fighting the White Lion all the time?

Dung Beetle Knight

Flower Knight

Lion Knight  -- generally speaking these three are considered valuable additions to the game?

Stone Face inserts -- because there aren't any included in the base game?

Thank you very much for any thoughts you can offer.

After asking a boatload of questions from experienced KD gamers and reading/watching everything I could find on the existing expansions, that's the exact same batch of goodies I'm going in for. The core game, gambler's chest, Gorm, Dragon King, all 3 original knights, and the stone face base inserts. The only other things I added are a couple of pinups with no real game content.

I couldn't hope to afford, play, or store everything so I went the stuff current players recommend almost universally. Even without any future expansions, this game will still have way more content than anything else on my shelf...  by miles. Can't wait!

7 hours ago, Carnacki the Ghost Finder said:

Edited by CorallineAlgae
  • Like 3

Interesting that so many players are recommending the Dragon King. Probably just because of it's size, right? It's campaign is rather different and I'd recommend running one or two normal campaigns first to get the hang of things before trying out a dragon campaign.

Photograph included (held at arm's length to get everything in frame). Some day soon I'll even stick the wings and the base on!

IMG_3209.JPG

• Like 2

I went ahead and added the Dragon King and the three knights based on all the commentary so thanks.. thats helped a lot.  

I put some plastic and resin up for sale on bookface and paid for my pledge manager transgressions in about 30 minutes.. lol

Now to decide if I want the inserts.. honestly I don't much care for them.. 

• Like 4

Oh I want the base inserts but I've already based up all the core game monsters and trying to rebase them would just be disastrous. Having the new monsters on special bases would look weird and I haven't checked to see how many copies of the facebase pack I'd need (although I have enough to facebase all the humans from my original pledge).

I'm hoping for an option to grab more facebases further down the line.

Finally broke down and submitted my backer kit.  Went with my heart and toys I wanted rather than the strongest recommendations

Base game

Gamblers chest

Lion god expansion

dragon expansion

Lion knight expansion (because the flower knight just irks me.  so little content for so much cost, even if the content is good and the mini is nice.)

Screaming god expansion

Nightmare ram expansion

silver city expansion (and here is the one i really want above all others.  I love the concept and description.  i just hope the actual expansion does it justice!)

I know the Gorm is recommended by all but I really just don't like it. Looking forward to getting to play and getting my settlements killed...

• Like 3

Added Campaigns of Death as my final add on..  Hoping the ancient Butcher is awesome and huge

So:

Core 1.5

GC

Wave 2 - Dragon King Expansion

Wave 2 - Dung Beetle Knight Expansion

Wave 2 - Lion Knight Expansion

Wave 2 - Flower Knight Expansion

Wave 3 - Pinup Screaming God Armor

Wave 3 - Pinup Black Knight Armor

Wave 4 - Black Knight Expansion

Wave 4 - Red Witches Expansion

Wave 4 - Campaigns of Death

Wave 4 - Pathfinders of Death - Kingdom Death x Paizo Crossover

Wave 4 - Abyssal Woods Expansion

• Like 1

On 3/16/2017 at 8:31 AM, Talae said:

I added Gorm, Dragon King, and Amy crossover to my pledge of base and gambler's chest. 

Now I am wavering. I am debating dropping Gorm and Amy to swap for the Gryphon. Or maybe not the Gryphon, but instead the various knights. Thoughts on this?

Has anyone heard if we might get a chance to add things from later waves at a later date?

Edited by Talae

no word at all on whether we'll get any more chances to add

(my personal speculation is no for the base game and existing expansions since Adam wants to have solid production numbers and have stock to sell without worrying that latter adds will eat into those numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if we do get a chance to add more for the new expansions in a year or two before he sends them into production)

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Orlando_the_Technicoloured said:

no word at all on whether we'll get any more chances to add

(my personal speculation is no for the base game and existing expansions since Adam wants to have solid production numbers and have stock to sell without worrying that latter adds will eat into those numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if we do get a chance to add more for the new expansions in a year or two before he sends them into production)

This is my th9ught as well.  Some ofolks the concepts are able sketches and almost no content.  It's hard to guess what he will do with them once complete.  I'm hoping we will see offers on the new expansions again when he is ready to make then real.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Talae said:

Now I am wavering. I am debating dropping Gorm and Amy to swap for the Gryphon. Or maybe not the Gryphon, but instead the various knights. Thoughts on this?

Has anyone heard if we might get a chance to add things from later waves at a later date?

After more research and realizing that the Gryphon is another campaign  (and will compete in the same space as the DK), I am not getting it. At least for now.

The knights are still tempting, but not as much. I am going to try and hold fast at what I have.

• Like 1