Way of the Fighter by Soda Pop Miniatures Kickstarter (Live)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Way of the Fighter is an expandable card game by Benjamin Yamada that pits two fighters against one another in an arena, with a theme reminiscent of classic arcade-style fighting games. Each player manages their fighter’s movements, actions, health, and energy to achieve victory. The game is quick and involves bluffing, resource management, knowledge of each fighter's style, and sharp tactical decisions.

aa660860a48353f4d484dd4f14ddd0a0_origina

78c2d82a3683286c2e283341b03f1f46_origina

e85f4fd8d16b5406482ad0e0aee4e877_origina

• Like 1

I checked out the print and play rules.  The hit grids remind me of the mid-90s Highlander card game, with spacing added in; this is probably the coolest game mechanic I'm seeing at a first look.  Since this is a 1-on-1 battle game, honestly I'd prefer it with no dice rolls at all to keep it as strictly tactical as possible.  It seems decent enough for what it's trying to represent, and if I were more interested in this type of game I'd likely back.

If minis unlock I'll take another look as they may fit in with some of my superhero stuff.

This game looks interesting, but I do not get why they split it into two packs of 5 fighters.  I like the art and the concept.  There is just not enough stuff in it.  They have already added a couple extra fighters to try and sweeten the pot, but that still does not get me excited.  I also do not get why they are only doing minis for a select few of the fighters.  Standees are okay, but I would feel really weird having a mix of minis and standees.  The last time that I visited the comment section they were arguing about if SPM should relaunch the project or not.  One even mentioned that the campaign was down $477 today.  Right now I am in for a $1, but I don't think that it is going to make it.

sadly i'm not at all convinced the slowish uptake is actually down to the US election clogging up social media

i'd say it's more that this is probably a lot more of a niche product that their chibi offerings, and that the value really didn't seem to be there

but I guess we'll see