Sign in to follow this  

I think they look pretty awesome. I know some people who would be proud of getting these results on their minis even after painting for a while. Nice work!

• Like 2

I realize that these are rough, and I appreciate any advice on the matter.

Not sure what you mean by rough.  Everyone who starts painting has figures that look less finished than their later work.  That's normal.  Even the more experienced and better trained painters get better if they keep practicing.  

If there are things you want to improve on, you can seek out advice and learn here, though.  This is a very supportive community.  Is there anything specific you want advice on?  One thing I see is bases that are painted, but not dressed up with anything extra.  That's a fairly easy step up for most painters.

• Like 1

Are there general tips for dressing bases? Also thank you everyone for your praise and/or encouragement.

I feel like my detail work is weak, and I need more practice at things like artificial shadows and blending. Timur in particular could use a lot of detail work.

My fear/excitement is in painting humanoids with faces (not helmeted, etc) but I have anxiety about eyes. So far I've only been able to do like with the stone golem and do red eyes (I still have to give my orc marauder the red eye treatment too).

Thank you all also for being so welcoming.

• Like 3

Looking good! Keep up the hard work and you'll be amazed in a years time! Doing really good for a start.

• Like 1

Are there general tips for dressing bases? Also thank you everyone for your praise and/or encouragement.

I feel like my detail work is weak, and I need more practice at things like artificial shadows and blending. Timur in particular could use a lot of detail work.

My fear/excitement is in painting humanoids with faces (not helmeted, etc) but I have anxiety about eyes. So far I've only been able to do like with the stone golem and do red eyes (I still have to give my orc marauder the red eye treatment too).

You might want to take a look at this:

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/65355-directory-of-tips-advice-resources/

• Like 2

Nicely Done !!!

Just go to the WIP's (work in progess) section, and start seeing what other

folks are doing.  There is a myriad of a range of skills, and they will teach you many things.

The best advise I can give you is :  Just keep on painting, you will get better and better with

experience, and different mini's.

Jay

• Like 2

Hello everyone,

So I have had reaper minis since the first bones kickstarter, but it wasn't until recently that I actually decided to start painting. I wanted to show off what I've done so far, and hopefully post other pictures as I make progress.

I realize that these are rough, and I appreciate any advice on the matter.

attachicon.gifSkel Archer.jpg

attachicon.gifOrc Marauder.jpg

attachicon.gifOrc Marauder Back.jpg

attachicon.gifTimur Front.jpg

attachicon.gifTimur Back.jpg

attachicon.gifStone Golem.jpg

attachicon.gifStone Golem Back.jpg

I posted these pretty well in the order that I painted them, and had anywhere from a few days to a few weeks between each mini. I think I am finally getting the hang of dry brushing, as seen with the golem, and the more I learn, the more I think I need to go back and touch up my older paint jobs.

But overall, I'm pretty happy with the way they look. I can't wait to use them at the game table!

P.S. I probably need to find a better place and method for taking pictures. These are ok, but I like the more professional looking pictures I tend to see. Apologies if the quality on these pictures is not excellent.

youre right where i was when i started, maybe a bit better.  Great work and welcome to the hobby!

• Like 1

Why, oh why can't we ever have a newbie here sho's worse than me at painting?

Anyway, welcome to the insanity we like to call a forum!

A tip.

It won't hurt to edit the first post and add tags for each mini, and possibly even your username.

The first so that anyone can easily find all threads with the same minis, and the second to make it easier for us to be nosy and read all your topics. 

• Like 6

Smoothness & finesse come with time & practice, but you already have a SPLENDID feel for the subjects. Your brushwork & color selection are EXCELLENT. Keep at it; you have potential. GREAT WORK!

• Like 4

I haven't had time for painting in a long long time (too busy learning to sculpt) but you might consider buying a long-arm magnifying lamp; you might not use the magnifier while painting but it's useful for checking your work as you go. Alternatively, take macro photos of your work so you can see them magnified on screen - it reveals every teeny tiny microscopic flaw.

I'm rather a fan of the Miniature Mentor videos (definitely better value to buy a 1 month or 2 month subscription, download like crazy and then cancel than to buy them one at a time), there are free alternatives to be found on YouTube but the MM videos are in lovely high resolution. Watching the zenith airbrushing one gave me a pang to take up painting again.

• Like 1

Why, oh why can't we ever have a newbie here sho's worse than me at painting?

Anyway, welcome to the insanity we like to call a forum!

A tip.

It won't hurt to edit the first post and add tags for each mini, and possibly even your username.

The first so that anyone can easily find all threads with the same minis, and the second to make it easier for us to be nosy and read all your topics. 

Fear not, I still suck badly.