Sign in to follow this  
The Basilisk

Oddball knights?

Game of Thrones, Shovel Knight and Dark Souls have recently made me fall head over heels in love with the concept of the knight in shining armor. However, I'm having a hard time finding any really off-the-wall knight miniatures - knights who either fill very different class roles than usual (mage knights, thief knights, etc.), have odd choices in fashion, or knights that have really bizarre or unusual bodytypes. Can anyone direct me to some weirdo knights, by Reaper or otherwise?

My findings:

There's a DS boardgame coming out at some point, but I certainly don't want to wait that long. 

5okkVh9.jpg

Paizo Battlemage

GwBke2c.jpg

Rackham/Cadwallon Militia Automaton 

SZGpshL.jpg

Rackham/Cadwallon Kyrus The Somber

6ccY3yj.jpg

Reaper's Fingal Winkbeard

Squires also accepted. 

Edited by The Basilisk
  • Like 3

Well, there are all the guys in the Heraldic Knights box set, with their giant stylized helmet crests...

There are a handful of female knights - 03746, 02459, 03520, 60143, 60025, 60126, 77302

77036/14213 Devona - she's an armored mage...

To go with Fingal Winkbeard, there's 02772: Iris and 03689: Blink Berenwicket, who are pretty much female gnome knights (and Iris has badger-themed armor)...

02452: Amber, Dracomancer - an armored mage with a dragon

03045: Juron, Mystic Knight - robes over his armor, maybe a paladin or war cleric

03203: Shaedra, Female Paladin - Wielding a hand crossbow?

03264: Roderick Ambermead and Glitter - halfling knight with a lance riding a gold dragon

For more evil-looking knights...

03346: Dhaval Icefist, White Dragon Knight - Dragon-themed armor

03521: Naline, Evil Knight - Female in dragon-themed armor

14071 and 14160: Athak, Necropolis Sergeant - Very stylized armor and a giant face on his shield

14359: Crimson Knight, Necropolis Grunt  - very stylized armor

The Bloodstone Gnomes Tunnel Knights  14430 and 14431  - funky-looking little guys

• Like 1

Check out the 'Kritter Kingdom' minis over at Dark Sword. There's a couple of oddballs there.

They also have a whole truckload of minis based on Game of Thrones(the books, not the TV series)

Search for "Mordheim Knight".

Many years ago Games Workshop created a Spanish/German looking knight who was a dead ringer for Don Quixote.

This is GardenNinja's version:

percival-2.jpg

There is probably a show off thread for it at these forums.

The figure was produced in both mounted and dismounted poses.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 3

Search for "Mordheim Knight".

Many years ago Games Workshop created a Spanish/German looking knight who was a dead ringer for Don Quixote.

This is GardenNinja's version:

percival-2.jpg

There is probably a show off thread for it at these forums.

The figure was produced in both mounted and dismounted poses.

I have this miniature, it came in a blister that included both versions.  I'll see if I can get my camera out to photograph both soon.  This is a great knight, the shield has a a fish nailed to the shield, with a Skaven head on the bottom part of the shield.  He wears some interesting livery, that's for sure.

Sisters of the Blade in Warlord fit the "different" grouping in Warlord.  I could also argue the Battle Nuns sculpted by Werner Klocke (clad very lightly) would also fit the "wierd knight" vibe.  If looking into Mordheim, you could also argue that Sisters of Sigmar would work.

Going the old school warhammer route, if you could find the old Hobgoblin Khan (wolf-rider champion) with the double horned helmet, there was a dismounted version also made (separate sprues, and difficult to find... I've been looking).  It's definitely something different and a different species. 

You could also get a single Night Goblin spider rider with spear, and make a similar one with the same spear.  Orc Boarboyz, the Warlord Bear Riders.  I could keep going on, but I think there are a great deal of "different" knights. 

Northumbrian Tin Soldier have a few highly stylized miniatures.  Rebel Miniatures make a pig knight that would be interesting (in their "Dark Hold" fantasy line). 

Ganesha Games has a couple of different models:  A giant grasshopper-riding model, a giant-pillbug riding model, a worm-riding model (all fungus-people), they also have some very nice hobgoblins, and their dwarves have a giant mole-rider.  There's a lot to choose from in the range and their most recent kickstarter just completed with a halfling dog-rider and a few other types that would work nicely for alternative knights. 

Gah...  So many minis... so little time.

• Like 1

Some really nice recommendations so far.

I feel like I must not have been looking hard enough, because I found some more of my own!

HjrpVHk.jpg

Reaper's Golrick, Mercenary

95SQpMZ.jpg

Trollforged Warrior II (Trollforged has a couple nice weirdo knights in its fantasy human range, this one just catches my eye the most. PRETTY SURE they're older sculpts repurposed for resin resale, but I dunno.)

C1EZPlC.jpg

WOTC prepaint Troglodyte Captain. Definitely not a human. Definitely knightly in one way or another.

aYn6AgA.jpg

Otherworld pig faced orc command II

Somehow I forgot the oft maligned Kingdom Death range, which is absolutely rife with dark soulsy sirs/sers.

YPHqyBA.png

Black Knight (who has itty bitty kitty feet :3c)

mR3wnZ7.jpg

Flower Knight

i1wJSwD.jpg

King's Man

TYfy9i8.jpg

White Knight, Heavy

There's a few more, including a beetle armored knight, but these are a good enough example of them all. Unfortunately, KD produces their miniatures in expensive, limited edition runs that make obtaining them difficult and annoying... so of course I need more recommendations. :b

• Like 1

Eureka Miniatures has a few (unfortunately fairly low detail levels, but quite cheap):

100AZT08.jpg

Cayman knights

100AZT07.jpg

Eagle knights

100FRG22.jpg

Frog knight on a toad mount

100AZT10.jpg

Jaguar knights

100KASC05.jpg

Knight of the Leash

400FAN47.jpg

Pegasus knights

There's the Castellans of Dol Guldur, Morgul Knights and Mouth of Sauron from GW's LotR/Hobbit range, all pretty Dark Souls-ish:

99061466024_CastellansofDolGuldurNEW01.j

99121464006_MorgulKnightsNEW03.jpg

99061466010_TheMouthofSauronNEW01.jpg

cheers,

Michael

• Like 1

Somehow I forgot the oft maligned Kingdom Death range, which is absolutely rife with dark soulsy sirs/sers.

YPHqyBA.png

Black Knight (who has itty bitty kitty feet :3c)

KD have my favorite Knights :) Don't forget Percival!

Percival-Thumbnail_1024x1024.jpg

The Black Knight has tiny feet because he's Percival's dog. I know, it's weird, but that's KD for you.

Availability should be much improved as more things get tooled for plastic. Cost will always be an issue with KD, but you do get quality for your dollar.

• Like 2

95SQpMZ.jpg

Trollforged Warrior II (Trollforged has a couple nice weirdo knights in its fantasy human range, this one just catches my eye the most. PRETTY SURE they're older sculpts repurposed for resin resale, but I dunno.)

You are in fact correct - that was originally a Chaos Warrior from Metal Magic, way, way back in the nineties.

The Auld Grump - glad to see him back in production. ::):

• Like 1