• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic work so far!! Also thanks to you, I think I've found who I may be going with for some 10mm figures. I need 40 of them & Pendraken's pricing + being fantasy based is perfect! Thanks!

• Like 1

According to the proprietor, of Pendraken, some of the fantasy is kind of old and not the stuff he is necessarily proudest of.  The Warband Fantasy line is their newer stuff which has a lot of weapon/head/shield swaps so that each of, say 25, models in a pack are unique.   If the models you are considering don't have pics in the store then you could check out their forums and ask there.   

Be careful, the low prices of 10mm minis can make for some impulse buys.   

Haven't posted about these guys for a bit.   Let's see what pics I have:

Converted a bunch of crossbow dwarves then basecoated them.

post-8223-0-76592000-1484454955_thumb.jpgpost-8223-0-06521700-1484455074_thumb.jpg

After a wash or two

post-8223-0-49475300-1484455175_thumb.jpg

Some great axe dwarves basecoated

post-8223-0-18850600-1484455185_thumb.jpgpost-8223-0-10641500-1484455203_thumb.jpg

After a few washes.  Also did some lining with a fine pen.  Still need to touch up cheek guard and edge the axes.   I kinda like how these guys turned out.

post-8223-0-56752700-1484455223_thumb.jpgpost-8223-0-93834600-1484455241_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I guess I really waited too long to update because the forums won't accept all the pics in one post.  Here are some orcs:

Decided to experiment with the tiny little Pendraken wargs.   

post-8223-0-03669400-1484455575_thumb.jpg

That could have been a better photo!  In the end, I decided to keep things pretty simple and not try to vary the fur color on any one warg.  Here are some wargriders on painted wargs.  They are a mixture of one piece wargriders from Copplestone and some Pendraken riders on Copplestone wargs.

post-8223-0-18942500-1484455592_thumb.jpg

Painted the riders too

post-8223-0-42775900-1484455611_thumb.jpg

Finally put some basecoats on some orc archers

post-8223-0-14932400-1484455616_thumb.jpgpost-8223-0-77789500-1484455620_thumb.jpg

Now I'm caught up.

• Like 7

So my magnetic bases came in.   Here is a bit of what I'm planing for the basing.

post-8223-0-78312700-1484962381_thumb.jpg

You can see that there are only 10 dwarves instead of the 20 that "should be on that base.   Meanwhile since the orcs aren't that large there are more than 20 on the larger base. 

The cork would be painted as stone and maybe the archers and crossbow dwarves could be on two levels.  I think the largish bases on the orc strips would make adding any similar scenery pretty tricky.

Any thoughts on this before I get stuck in/

• Like 5
Since the orcs are on somewhat high strip bases I tried to blend them in with a mixture of spackle paint and sand instead of using just textured paint.  The front might need touching up after it dries.  We'll see.

10mmOrcs24.jpg

On the other hand I'm kind of doubting my original conception of having totally different basing since I quite like how these dwarves turned out.

10mmDwarves_30.jpg

Both are still drying at the moment.

• Like 6

I plan to do some experiments but the tricky thing about the orcs is that they are tightly packed onto their strips so, at least to my eye, you kind of have to pack them in depth wise as well or you kind of see the strips, if you know what I mean.  Even after cutting the strips you end up with a lot of 2 or 3 orcs standing side by side.

Also these orcs are not large at all.  Even the small Pendraken wolves/wargs take up the room of quite a lot of orcs.   You can see one on a command base with a couple orcs in the second row second from the right in this pic:

post-8223-0-31693000-1485375182_thumb.jpg

Another thing about 10mm is that AFAIK there aren't really casualty figs or weapon sprues for swaps or other "luxuries" that you can find for 28mm armies.

One idea I have is to use cork to make a tiny facade to cover up the front of the strip bases.  Maybe if I cut it down to 4 rows of orcs there would be room for something.

The basing doesn't have to be the same.  It might just be that dwarves are insecure and so like to stand on rocks to feel taller.  I just want to experiment to find what's the best way to deal with the orcs.

• Like 3