Wren

[SPLIT] Vortex Shakers

18 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Out of sheer curiosity, with these devices, do you still need agitators in your paint pots? 

No.  I have used ours with craft paints and it mixes them just fine.  I have yet to try house paint but I suspect it can handle a 1qt can, too.  I'll know in a few weeks when I redo the bathroom. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Out of sheer curiosity, with these devices, do you still need agitators in your paint pots? 

I don't think most Reaper paints need an agitator, other than the tiny glass ones they usually come with, but I've had a number of thicker Vallejo paints that didn't mix up well without an agitator, even on my vortex mixer. They would eventually mix after two minutes or so. After adding a hematite bead they mixed up thoroughly much quicker. After noticing that, I put a bead into every slightly thickish paint I had (mostly P3, Vallejo, Andrea, Secret Weapon, craft paints, and some Reaper paints). Just about every paint will mix well on a vortex mixer. The beads are worth adding mostly to shorten the mixing time. 

I also add a bead to every metallic paint. Every brand gets one. The shiny particles sometimes settle and compact hard at the bottom. Beads are a big help for metallic paints. Most mix in seconds with a 6 or 8mm hematite bead. 

Occasionally, a troublesome paint really settles and the bead will get a bit stuck at the bottom. I just smack the bottle in my hand a couple times before throwing them on the mixer. A hematite bead will usually make noise when you shake the paint it your hand, but some Vallejo paints are so thick that I never hear it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Woot I got it before getting home for lunch.  Had to pull myself away from it so I could eat.  I just kept grabbing more bottles to mix up. :)

It is not like his normal mixers.  Takes a couple seconds for it to spin up to full speed when I press down on the plate.  all good though because it sure beats waiting 2 min for the shaker to hopefully get one bottle mixed up.

• Like 3

On 9/11/2018 at 10:29 AM, hungerfan said:

Yeah I had issues with paying $120 at the show because I wanted to keep our budget for stuff around that much.  We ended up spending about $100 on extra stuff at vendor booths so I wrote him and discussed getting a less pretty one for a little less.

Yeah it seems we talked via Etsy but he asked if I could purchase on Ebay.  Had not been on ebay in ages and my wife had hijacked my account to do some business stuff on a while back so I just made a new account and purchased it that way.

Not sure what the diameter is on the normal ones but this one is definitely "thinner".

Hide contents

I actually got ahold of Robert on ebay. He said if I have vibration issues to just use a mousepad instead. I can handle that!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, haldir said:

I actually got ahold of Robert on ebay. He said if I have vibration issues to just use a mousepad instead. I can handle that!!

Vibration issues how?  With it shaking on your table?  I mixed about 70 paints and the only vibration issues I have are in my hand while I hold each bottle.  I felt it the rest of the night and even some this morning when I got up.  Luckily when I use it from now on it won't be to shake 70+ bottles in one sitting and I will just use it on the paints we will need.  The thing is heavy enough and he has some nice rubber feet that it does not move at all.  This one is just a bit different from his normal ones and takes a bit of time to spin up...like 2 secs...which is fine.

• Like 3

You must have a pretty sturdy table.  Ours jiggles like a belly dancer when we use it. I'll have to try the mouse pad trick and see if that helps. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

You must have a pretty sturdy table.  Ours jiggles like a belly dancer when we use it. I'll have to try the mouse pad trick and see if that helps. 

If I had one of those 8000 Reaperbuck mousepads, I'd probably try that. ::P:

As it is, mine has a tendency to wander about, but it doesn't much shake the 150# table I use it on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Ahh I was using it on the island last night.  I will try it out on the table today and see what results I get.  It is a cheap kitchen table we got not long after daughter was born knowing it would get wrecked...and boy has it.  The thing has so many different colors that have set into the wood and won't come out now.  It looks like a craft table. :)

• Like 4

I'm looking at getting one of these.  Before I decide, I have questions.

It seems, from videos and watching a bit at Reapercon, that one shakes a bottle by placing the bottom on a pad on the vortex shaker ... and then holding the bottle in place as the shaker does its thing about about a billion RPM.  Is that correct?

It also seems that there is an attachment which will hold one bottle of paint in a well sort of thing ... and then the shaker does its thing without having to hold the bottle in place.  Correct?

32 minutes ago, Highlander said:

It seems, from videos and watching a bit at Reapercon, that one shakes a bottle by placing the bottom on a pad on the vortex shaker ... and then holding the bottle in place as the shaker does its thing about about a billion RPM.  Is that correct?

It also seems that there is an attachment which will hold one bottle of paint in a well sort of thing ... and then the shaker does its thing without having to hold the bottle in place.  Correct?

Place the some part of the bottle onto a pad or into a cup on the shaker. Which you do will depend on the model. Then press down slightly to start the motor (don't press too hard, they work better with a light press). Hold until satisfied.

Be careful not to allow the shaker to unscrew the cap of the bottle as you're shaking it.

There are shakers that will hold the bottle without your intervention, but those weren't the kind shown at RCon.

2 hours ago, Highlander said:

You have to hold the bottle to mix, at least with the cup or platform top mixers. Mine is a Vortex Genie 2 mixer with the little cup. It has a "touch" setting. You put the paint bottle in the cup and lightly press down and it starts mixing. Super easy touch activation. It's a fantastic feature. You can buy different style tops for this vortex mixer but they are quite spendy. A 3" platform with a rubber cover is around $40+, while the cup is $25+. If you want a top that has a foam bottle holder to mix the paints without holding the bottles, I've seen them for sale for around $150. I've also also seen clip style bottle holders for about $90, but I don't know if they fit common paint bottles. I'll post a pics of the different mixer top options I mentioned in the spoiler. They all simply pop on and off the top of the machine. 

Spoiler

si-v206.jpg 503-0282-00.jpg

0k-0500-902.jpg 146-3011-00.jpg

I kind of regret not getting one with the 3" platform on top. The little cup is ideal for dropper bottles, but it doesn't fit larger paint containers like P3 or Citadel pots. You can still mix them if you hold them at an angle though. Like others have said, it's the best paint related purchase I've ever made. I recommend getting a model with a platform if most of your paints come in anything larger than dropper bottles. The cup version is a great choice for those of us who stick to dropper paints. 

Note: I'm only talking about options for my Vortex Genie 2 mixer. I don't know anything about other models.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So we painted on Sunday for a bit and I either really like what the vortex mixer did with my paints or it was all in my head but yeah...the session was great and I felt like the paint was 1000x better as I was using it.

On 9/16/2018 at 10:28 AM, Highlander said:

The refurbished mixers that Robert has makes you hold them. It is just some have platforms and the others have cups.  With this one the platform allows me to hold to bottles at once if I so wish but it is a bit awkward and I have lost my grip on one a couple times now.

@Harrek has some attachment for his that looks like one from the pics CorallineAlgae posted.  He says it will let him put 8 bottles on the thing and just let em go for a bit.

• Like 3

I got a Typhoon II unit for Xmas last year, and it's easily one of the best hobby investments I ever got my hands on.  Can't see how I managed without one for so long.

The Egg

• Like 3