Wren

[SPLIT] Vortex Shakers

I like the idea of the platform, but is there are cover or is the action smooth enough that things don't go flying?

I mean, I guess you could just knock something out of furniture foam or Styrofoam, but I'm just trying to wrap my mind around it.

Maybe I am not picky or move my bottles more than most but mixing a bottle on a vortex mixer requires about 10 seconds, maybe 30 if i havent used that color in a while.  I've run some clear bottles through the action to make sure the vortex is functioning and withing about half a second the point of the vortex in a medium matte medium is down to the bottom of the reaper bottle.

so shaking without holding is really not an issue for me.  So far I have been pretty pleased with mine, although when i brought it home it seemed like it was stuck and it took some nudging and help before it started moving normally again.

for citadel paints, if you add a 1/2 inch piece of radiator hose on top of the cup shaker, it creates a second larger cup that will hold citadel paints correctly (I cant take credit for this.  The new typhoon mixers all come this way)

the vibration of the one i have is obvious but not damaging, I keep it on a costco white folding table with all my paints.  when its running, its obvious that its vibrating but the shaking seems to be pretty omnidirectional.  That is the table shakes but nothing moves out of place.  Overall, i like it and the cost is fair for the device.  I could probably live without it but I am very happy to have it and so are my wrists!

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Whelp, I just bit the bullet, and bought one off ebay. 

You won't regret it!! ::D:

• Like 4

How loud are they? My current mixing method is a jigsaw. The problem with that is that lots of time when I can paint the yearling is sleeping and mix saw is loud enough to wake her even if I'm in the basement in the opposite corner of the house. These sound interesting but are down a ways on my wish list.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zink said:

How loud are they? My current mixing method is a jigsaw. The problem with that is that lots of time when I can paint the yearling is sleeping and mix saw is loud enough to wake her even if I'm in the basement in the opposite corner of the house. These sound interesting but are down a ways on my wish list.

Mine makes a kind of metallic rumbling sound. Not really loud but you can definitely hear them. A bit louder than my airbrush compressor but significantly quieter than my airbrush booth exhaust fan.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, Zink said:

Sounds like it would be quieter than my jigsaw.

Depending on the jigsaw model, I suspect some naval guns might be quieter...

I've been around some rather noisy jigsaws in my time, and an unbalanced blade can make quite the racket...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Mine is about as loud as my electric toothbrush.  A lot of the noise depends on what you put it on.  I first set it in some old foam eggcrate and it was very quiet.  The eggcrate also took up room and was old so the vibration began to cause foam fuzzies all over my work area.  Not what you want in your painting area.  I removed the crating one now it's a little louder but you can't hear mine up stairs.  

• Like 3

Mine has different volumes.  It usually depends on how I am pressing down on the plate with the bottle of paint.  After doing 20+ my wife usually is tired of hearing it though. :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 9/19/2018 at 12:24 PM, hungerfan said:

So we painted on Sunday for a bit and I either really like what the vortex mixer did with my paints or it was all in my head but yeah...the session was great and I felt like the paint was 1000x better as I was using it.

The refurbished mixers that Robert has makes you hold them. It is just some have platforms and the others have cups.  With this one the platform allows me to hold to bottles at once if I so wish but it is a bit awkward and I have lost my grip on one a couple times now.

@Harrek has some attachment for his that looks like one from the pics CorallineAlgae posted.  He says it will let him put 8 bottles on the thing and just let em go for a bit.

It's been a long time since I got mine, but Robert shipped it with the cup-platform installed, and a flat one separately in the box. He might be able to offer some customization on that front for direct orders.

• Like 1

There has gotta be a way to mod a sander [already owned] with some inexpensive items from a hardware store to improvise a shaker. 

Anyone have any thoughts? 

2 hours ago, TGP said:

There has gotta be a way to mod a sander [already owned] with some inexpensive items from a hardware store to improvise a shaker. 

An orbital sander might work. You would need to have a way to attach the paint to the bottom of the sander securely enough that it wouldn't fly across the room, break open, and create new wall art*. You would also want to be able to insert and remove bottles easily.

Most of the people I've seen do this kind of thing have used reciprocating saws and rubber-banded the bottles to the blade, which they report as having worked. For a sander, I'd probably start with a cup of some sort, ideally with curved over handles to hold a rubber band, and then attach that assembly to the sanding bed. Not sure how best to attach the cup; you might be able to get by with JB Weld or the like if you don't care about still having a sander at the end of the process.

Alternatively, you might be able to use largish rubber bands and just attach them to the corners of the sanding bed, though we might be back to "wall art" with that.

If you can manage the attachment, I suspect it will agitate the paint just fine, but if it fails horribly, oops. :rolleyes:

Good luck.

* Unless that's what you want, in which case, please provide pictures. :B):

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, TGP said:

Bear in mind that if you are operating the sander in an inverted position for any significant amount of time you may be shortening the service life of the device by a considerable amount due to what are normally non-load bearing surfaces now becoming the main load bearing surfaces.

GEM

12 hours ago, TGP said:

9 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

An orbital sander might work. You would need to have a way to attach the paint to the bottom of the sander securely enough that it wouldn't fly across the room, break open, and create new wall art*. You would also want to be able to insert and remove bottles easily.

Most of the people I've seen do this kind of thing have used reciprocating saws and rubber-banded the bottles to the blade, which they report as having worked. For a sander, I'd probably start with a cup of some sort, ideally with curved over handles to hold a rubber band, and then attach that assembly to the sanding bed. Not sure how best to attach the cup; you might be able to get by with JB Weld or the like if you don't care about still having a sander at the end of the process.

Alternatively, you might be able to use largish rubber bands and just attach them to the corners of the sanding bed, though we might be back to "wall art" with that.

If you can manage the attachment, I suspect it will agitate the paint just fine, but if it fails horribly, oops. :rolleyes:

Good luck.

* Unless that's what you want, in which case, please provide pictures. :B):

Get a pill bottle with mini package foam inside to cushion the bottle. Attach to blade with rubber bands & shake away. 

There is also a 3d printed bracket on thingiverse. 

https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=Jigsaw+bottle+shaker&dwh=625baf35593d537