Wren

[SPLIT] Vortex Shakers

What I did for my jigsaw paint shaker was simply duct tape an old blade so the teeth wouldn't scratch the labels and use a metal hose clamp to hold the bottles on. There have been a couple of incidents of bottles flying around if I didn't tighten the clamp down enough. It does a pretty good job other than the noise. I've never trying using an orbital sander for paint shaking but I sometimes make resin bases and movement trays for minis. I've used the sander to vibrate my table to help get rid of air bubbles when doing that. I tried to make a clamp to hold the sander to the table so that I didn't have to hold it but wasn't successful. 

• Like 2

So I received my vortex mixer the other day, and have been playing with it. 

The one I got came with the smaller cup that's perfectly sized for the Reaper paints.   After playing with it a bit, I found that it was great for my Reaper paints, but not so much for my craft paints, which of course don't fit, and I have to try and hold them on top. 

Curious as to what was going on, I tried the following experiment:   Taking empty bottles with no labels, and filling them with water so i could see how it was mixing.  Note: If you haven't done this, do. It's really cool to see the vortex.

What I found is that I can't hold the larger bottle in place well enough to get the vortex going - it just agitates the liquid inside a bit, but not near enough to actually mix anything.  

So I have been messing with Fusion 360 and my 3d printer to design and print a new head that i can pop on that is perfectly sized for my craft paints.   I thought about going the bit of hose solution that Robert had, but that would require a trip to the store, which means leaving the house.  Why leave the house when I have a perfectly good 3d Printer?  Anyway, the first piece is on the printer now, and I'll be testing fit in an hour or so. 

I'm a bit concerned about the print holding up to the vibration, so we'll have to see how that goes. 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

What I found is that I can't hold the larger bottle in place well enough to get the vortex going - it just agitates the liquid inside a bit, but not near enough to actually mix anything.  

I just use a blob of silly putty in the cup, which seems to hold the bottom of the bottle about as well as one of those flatbed agitators until it squashes down too much.  I'm sure your solution will work better, but mine was quick. (And since I don't have a 3d printer ....)

• Like 3

Hm, interesting. I'd been assuming holding something too large on to the cup would vortex, but seems like that might not be the case!

I wound up using empty bottles with just water in them to see what was happening, because it wasn't working very well for my craft paints. That's when I could very clearly see the vortex form in the MSP bottle, but just agitation in the larger bottles.

I got the 3d printed adapter finished, and it works great for them. I can now see the vortex form in the large bottle as well.  I had also printed a flat platform, and tested with that - the flat platform works as well.   I think the key is to have it placed firmly, and as centered as possible

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kristof65 said:

I wound up using empty bottles with just water in them to see what was happening, because it wasn't working very well for my craft paints. That's when I could very clearly see the vortex form in the MSP bottle, but just agitation in the larger bottles.

I got the 3d printed adapter finished, and it works great for them. I can now see the vortex form in the large bottle as well.  I had also printed a flat platform, and tested with that - the flat platform works as well.   I think the key is to have it placed firmly, and as centered as possible

Possible you might share that file somewhere? I'm getting a 3D printer this week, so I may have interest. ::):

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, haldir said:

Possible you might share that file somewhere? I'm getting a 3D printer this week, so I may have interest. ::):

I plan to - it will be on Thingiverse under user name Kristof65

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, haldir said:

@haldir I don't want to turn this into a 3D printer discussion, but could you share what printer you are getting?  I am looking at getting one this winter and have been having a difficult time deciding which one to get.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Clearman said:

@haldir I don't want to turn this into a 3D printer discussion, but could you share what printer you are getting?  I am looking at getting one this winter and have been having a difficult time deciding which one to get.

I went with a Ender 3 with a upgraded aluminum extruder drive feed frame (that cost me like 15 bucks). Fat Dragon Games/Tom Tullis recommended this one in a recent email update & what I've seen & read online, it's a fantastic printer for the price. I went with a bonus pack of a couple of nozzles & a roll of filament but the average price is around 200 for the printer. If you go to fat dragon's site, I think that email update is still on the site if you want more info.

Since I'm always asking people for 3d printed gaming items, I figured it was probably a good time to have my own + I had the cash thanks to not spending as much as I thought I would at RCon this year.

27 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

I plan to - it will be on Thingiverse under user name Kristof65

Thanks!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I noticed the same thing with my craft paints. I was thinking about how to make a larger adaptor perhaps from PVC fittings. I'll report my findings.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2018 at 3:03 PM, haldir said:

FYI, my file is now on Thingiverse.

So I've discovered a couple of things:

1. I have a lot of old craft paints. I didn't sort through them when I moved last year like I should have. That's ok, though, because the vortex mixer has made short work of restoring many of them (well, shorter work than hand shaking would take).  I otherwise would have thrown many of these out.

2. Apparently, I haven't been mixing most of my craft paints thoroughly enough in the past, as I'm finding that many are a bit different when they are fully mixed by the vortex mixer than when mixed by hand shaking.  Several paints are more or less opaque now than I recall them being before.

• Like 6

I ended up picking up a purple “Mini Vortex mixer” new off amazon for $100. I’ve only had it for 2 days, but it’s already shaken over 100 bottles of paint (I figured it was time to do paint maintenance!) Very handy.

• Like 9

I added 4mm hematite beads to all of my paint bottles, and its made a big difference in how quickly they shake up. Was a bit messy cracking everything open and putting them in, but worth it I think.

• Like 3